Any help with setting permissions on a file...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi, I am logged on as an admin on my system, (os 10.1.5) and when I try to chmod a file, it says permission denied. I try to this from the GUI but the permisions to read/write are grayed out?

I dont have to be logged in as root do I? I tried logging in as that but my password does not work? Any insight would be great!

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    OS 10.2 fixes all that. But if you don't want to upgrade you have to login as a root user if you did not create that file. Try disabling the root acount and then recreate it.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    There are two other options in this case. The first, and more preferrable, is to download <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=12057&db=mac"; target="_blank">Batchmod</a>.

The second is to go to the terminal, type 'sudo chmod ug+rw [filename]' It'll prompt you for your password and that's it. The finder may take some time to register the change. What you did was use the sudo command to be root for that command and then change the permissions on the file to read and write for user and group. You can type the first part of the command and then drag the file to the terminal window to get the correct path to it. HTH.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Thanks Guys! Both worked! Thats why AI still rules! I posted the same question on NN - no reply. Take Care all
  • Reply 4 of 4
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by Altivec_2.0:

<strong>OS 10.2 fixes all that. But if you don't want to upgrade you have to login as a root user if you did not create that file. Try disabling the root acount and then recreate it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You probably shouldn't do this on a regular basis (if ever). If you log in as root, there can be all sorts of problems that arise, including but not limited to, the finder never remembering your window settings. Just don't do. It's really bad practice.