Can you make a Quicktime movie from a screensaver

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi

I was wondering if it were possible to create a Quicktime movie from a screen saver. I think that the screensaver affect is a lot better that an iPhoto slide show.

Hope someone can help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I've never actually used the app, but from what I know, Snapz Pro can take screenshots and movies of everything that happens on your screen. I guess that would work.

<a href="http://www.ambrosiasw.com"; target="_blank">www.ambrosiasw.com</a>
  • Reply 2 of 5
    nto sure about snapz but most screen captured movies turn out like crap, low frame rates and low quality.

This is a huge if, but if you can set up a vcr to record from your computer through the use of something like an all in wonder, i would do it that way. then record it again from tape to quicktime.

It sounds like a lot of work but its the only way i can think of doing it.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I've had excellent success with Snapz Pro X before. Anyone who has read my old posts reporting on the pre-release Jaguar builds will note that Snapz captured some very good quality movies then. The trick, though, is to follow the directions in the documentation for optimizing video capture. Specifically, reduce the framerate, capture area, and number of colors.

Full-screen capture at a high rate, though, is simply impossible. It's a matter of current computers just not being fast enough and not having a wide enough bus. Why? Consider this: a typical small screen size is 1024x768. At "millions" of colors, a single frame captured of that takes 25,165,842 bits (or 3072 kilobytes or 3 megabytes). To get a smooth animation, most movies need about 15 to 20 frames per second. Do the math and you'll see that a full screen video capture at 15 frames per second would require capturing and writing to memory a full 45 MB per second!! That is simply not possible on most Macs today.

If you do still want to try capturing video at full screen, you would have best results by lowering your resolution as much as possible (preferrably 640x480) and reduce the number of colors to "thousands".
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Thanks for the help.

So would there be a program which would create a quicktime movie from still images and use transitional effects liek the OS X screen saver.

I have a bunch of pics from my sister's debutante ball and want to surprise her with a dvd of the pictures with cool transitions. The main problem is I am too lazy to be bothered with FCP and pan and zoom several dozen images.

Thanks in advance.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    you should've said that before !

you can use <a href="http://www.iview-multimedia.com/"; target="_blank">iView Media Pro</a> to create Quicktime movies of slideshows.