Cant import avi/mkv files?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I know that the iPod touch doesn't support avi/mkv files, but how would you import them anyways? The VLC player can playback these files without any problem, how would you get those file types on the iPod when iTunes doesn't allow you to sync them? Did it require you to jailbreak your iPod to use the app?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    unfockunfock Posts: 1member
    It is possible to tell, this exception
  • Reply 2 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rorflman View Post

The VLC player can playback these files without any problem, how would you get those file types on the iPod when iTunes doesn't allow you to sync them? Did it require you to jailbreak your iPod to use the app?

Of course not.

Go to the Apps tab under the device in iTunes. Select the app in question. You'll see a place where files can be drug.

You REALLY just need to encode those files in a modern format like MP4.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    tony12tony12 Posts: 31member
    Yeah, what you really need is to encode those files, Handbrake can do this for you, just use the right preset.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony12 View Post

Yeah, what you really need is to encode those files, Handbrake can do this for you, just use the right preset.

HandBrake is designed to convert mpeg video (including dvd-video) into a mpeg-4 video file in .mp4 or .mkv. It is great and free. But the output choices are limited. And u have to calculate Handbrake video Bitrate/Quality settings (target size, average bitrate, constant quality) when ripping DVD and converting videos, making it rather difficult and time-consuming for converting. I think, u could try macx dvd ripper, it covers handbrake's funtions well and make up for its disadvanges. From my point of view, it is at least one of the best that ive used.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Just buy a device that can play every popular media codec. I know it won't be an Apple but I wouldn't use a device with iOS for media consumption anyway unless of course you purchase everything threw iTunes. Converting files suck, your probably downloading your movies right, well there all in Divx. Buy a cheap Archos, iRiver, Samsung media player and enjoy watching what you want anytime without the hassles of converting and most of the players have a miniSD drive so you won't have to worry about space.. Converting media files get's old real fast, it takes for ever and you always loose quality.

Archos makes a couple of really neat little PMP's that are cheap and play everything you throw at it.

http://www.archos.com/store/psearch....rchos50bvision

• Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Just buy a device that can play every popular media codec.

No, that's nowhere near a solution. Spending $300 on another device for absolutely no reason is laughable.

HandBrake. Reencode. MP4. FREE. AVI is a gimped format. As is MKV. Neither have any place in the future.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Thank u guys so much, plz keep answers coming
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Truly we've given you the only answer: reencode your stuff with HandBrake. It's the best software available for doing this, and it's free.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Just buy a device that can play every popular media codec. I know it won't be an Apple but I wouldn't use a device with iOS for media consumption anyway unless of course you purchase everything threw iTunes. Converting files suck, your probably downloading your movies right, well there all in Divx. Buy a cheap Archos, iRiver, Samsung media player and enjoy watching what you want anytime without the hassles of converting and most of the players have a miniSD drive so you won't have to worry about space.. Converting media files get's old real fast, it takes for ever and you always loose quality.

Archos makes a couple of really neat little PMP's that are cheap and play everything you throw at it.

http://www.archos.com/store/psearch....rchos50bvision

Gee, I wonder why the fan boys are so mean to me, all I do is post ads for non-Apple gear, over and over again, on this here Apple enthusiast site. It must be because of them being fan boys and all.
  • Reply 10 of 16

Dont wanna fight, but i suggest macx dvd ripper, it works fine.

• Reply 11 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

Truly we've given you the only answer: reencode your stuff with HandBrake. It's the best software available for doing this, and it's free.

Honestly, Handbrake isn't necessarily the best software for doing this. However, it is the best FREE software for doing this, and the results are as good as any other tool you can find for Mac. However, you have to have the knowledge, and the patience, to tweak the settings to get the best results.

Personally, I like iVi Pro. But it costs $10 (don't get the one from the Mac App Store, as it can't directly rip commercial DVDs). There are other paid apps that people might like as well.

• Reply 12 of 16

you can always convert the videos. it's much easier. i use "any video converter" it's easy and fast to use.

• Reply 13 of 16
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    There are a few apps that will play AVIs and other media on iOS. CinePlayerX and Flex:Player are two examples. Just select the apps in iTunes and add files to the app.

For the most part, stick to Handbrake and .MP4. For Blu-Ray MKV rips, those can probably be converted into .MP4 containers without re-encoding as MKV will often contain .H264 media. You can do it with Quicktime Pro if you have Perian but it might not always come out properly (audio sync, for example).
  • Reply 14 of 16

Yea, but that´s only one converter tool. There are a lot of more free tools, that works very good.

• Reply 15 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanny MacPhee View Post

Yea, but that´s only one converter tool. There are a lot of more free tools, that works very good.

But not as well.

• Reply 16 of 16
    tony12tony12 Posts: 31member

Yeah, stick to the Handbrake, and with it's helps, you could use the Apple TV to be a home media centre: http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/AppleTV_2 ;