Ideas for a simple guestbook in php?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i'd like to have a new php questbook...

very light, fast, easy to use and admin...

and that i can swithc to black or white look.

any ideas where to get such in php??

tried to look for something but see nothing nice...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    As it so happens, I wrote one for my own site about a week ago. (but I left it waiting a bit).

It's on my iBook still, however, and I don't feel like transferring it just now. What it does is the following:

people can write a comment in a textarea field, and they can, if they want to leave an email address;

If an email is entered (only if) A javascript function which I wrote as well (yep.) then checks if it is a valid email (one and only one @, at least one dot (.) behind the @). They get prompted if it is a false email (then they can still choose not to give email).

If all is collected, PHP writes it to a html file which it appends to each time.

I would point to it on my site (but my admin hasn't enabled PHP yet. DAMN! it's been three weeks now), so I can't show it.

If you are interested, let me now, I could post the thing.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Ok!!! I want to try!!

The only problem will be that i have to put then the php pages to an other server, mine doesnt support php either. But no problem... maybe in frame and that's it. I can add a little folder to a server that supports it,...

I want something simple, fast and sth between a bb and guestbook... as it seems no one likes the guestbooks maybe a bb-board-guest would fill in faster then ..

Hope you find the address.. should be 1 click from where u r now...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Okay, I've uploaded the script to <a href="http://www.zaan.be/bb.php.tgz"; target="_blank">here</a> (should download right away).

One thing you have to make sure:

you have to create a folder yourself, called "feedback" (or whatever you want if you change the script), and you have to change ownership of the folder to (in macos x 'www', in Linux, it should be 'apache'). The reason: the system normally won't let user 'www' (or apache) write in your ( user 'mulatta', whatever) folders. (I had an issue with this in university, where the other solution (putting permissions on the file to read and write for everybody was not allowed).

Anyway. I don't think there is a workaround if you want php to write a html file.

The command is quite simple

just "chown file user".

Now, there aren't a lot of comments in there. One thing you could do: make your webserver and php on your mac active and test it.

Another thing: read the script untill you really understand it, or ask me whatever is not clear.

It might need some tweaks to work in your situation, I haven't checked. I use javascript, css and php and html, so it might get a bit confusing if (IF) you don't know all that. Therefore you should just try it.

allright, good luck.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    I wrote a php guestbook a few months ago. It took me a couple hours. I'd strongly recommend having the php, mysql, and html all on the same server for convenience and speed.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    Hey,

I downloaded the script too if that's OK...

Sounds good, i'm learning PHP so a script to toy with will be great.

I thought I'd post as I found a website with some great stuff you guys might want...

Basically they are "packaged for OS X" versions of Apache 2, PHP 4.2.3, Perl 5.8, MySQL, PostgreSQL. They install/work like a dream and respect you're default installs too.

Go look for them at <a href="http://www.serverlogistics.com"; target="_blank">http://www.serverlogistics.com</a>;

[ 10-11-2002: Message edited by: robster ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I have been doing PHP for a while now and i wrote my own BB. It supports all the features of a modern BB, UBB code the ability to turn on and off HTML and UBB, clickable smilies, moderation, swear filiter or custom word filters IP loggin yadi yaid. If you want any of these added to this script just let me know.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Mount i'll ask that you...

In that server i cant use php, mysql ecc.

So if i'll do a php guestbook, i will simply have to put that to another server...

Where i will have also mirrored an other site.

There is already a php forum so it definitelly works.. well.. more specificly it's a linux server...

I'll AIM u