Educated guess for Retina laptops/imacs/displays?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Retina laptops/Imacs/screens are "must buy" for me. Eizo have a "retina" 36 inch display for sale. The problem is that it cost over 200K dollars.

I had hope that the Ivy Bridge bump would lead to Retina stuff. The evidence for it was that the internal Intel graphics support high resolution and that Kepler 660M supports 3840x2160.

Apple also payed sharp over 500 million to build Retina displays last year.

Since no retina parts have leaked out, its highly unlikely that the Ivy Bridge bump gets them.

The rumors are that Apple have test displays. This mimic retina for Ipad. Just before Ipad 2 release Apple got test Retina displays.

Does this mean that we have to wait one year?

Or will Apple continue to go from "low end" to High end. This means that Macbook Air is the next computer to get retina. Technically it should not be hard to produce a 11 inch 16:9 screen for Macbook Air?

If this was the Old Apple: That would be the "one more thing" product at WWCD.

The rumored ARM powered laptop. 11 inch. A6 quad core with Rouge and the merged MacOSX/iOS that Apple have rumored to be working on over a year.

When can we have Retina computing?

And will the iPanel have retina?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    2014 at the earliest for the smallest of the MacBook family.

I figure 2017 before the Thunderbolt Display is replaced with a retina version, and that's being generous.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Interesting thread starter, Shompa.

Sure, I'd like to think my 2013 iMac upgrade would be retina.

But some of the higher resolution tvs seem pencilled in for years away. Computer screens haven't had anything really 'wow' in a while. I remember Apple introducing the studio displays. Back when they were 'on it'. That 30 incher looked bad ass back then.

Now? Eh. Dunno.

We're due for something really new in computer monitors. They've been pretty static for a while.

I'm tempted to think Tallest Skil's timeframe could be it, in reality. Maybe 2013 for the Air.

If we get it sooner, a pleasant surprise.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    The reasonis AIRs are pretty sucky GPU wise and Ivy Bridge is not enough of an improvment to drive pixel doubled displays.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Retina laptops/Imacs/screens are "must buy" for me. Eizo have a "retina" 36 inch display for sale. The problem is that it cost over 200K dollars.

That pretty much proves that production of such screens is possible though. Apple has the resources to actually build production lines for such screens so cost isn't an issue.

Quote:

I had hope that the Ivy Bridge bump would lead to Retina stuff. The evidence for it was that the internal Intel graphics support high resolution and that Kepler 660M supports 3840x2160.

IB is still a pretty terrible GPU. Until we see actual hardware I'm not willing to believe that it would be anything but a regression. The discussion about external(dedicated) GPUs make no sense as they could support a variety of hardware.

Quote:

Apple also payed sharp over 500 million to build Retina displays last year.

Since no retina parts have leaked out, its highly unlikely that the Ivy Bridge bump gets them.

I don't see your logic there. If Apple did indeed pay that much to Sharp then I would suspect that they want something from Sharp. Rather soon too.

Quote:

The rumors are that Apple have test displays. This mimic retina for Ipad. Just before Ipad 2 release Apple got test Retina displays.

of course they do. Just like they have test chips from AMD, Intel, Micron, TI and everybody and their brother. You know what, I bet they get those chips, screens and other goodies as free samples too.

Quote:

Does this mean that we have to wait one year?

it means nothing. You can not deduce anything from the absence of knowledge. Even the flip side tells you nothing, for example high density flash is often very slow to come to Apple products even though we know the chips exist.

Quote:

Or will Apple continue to go from "low end" to High end. This means that Macbook Air is the next computer to get retina. Technically it should not be hard to produce a 11 inch 16:9 screen for Macbook Air?

I would doubt that the AIRs would be first. Mainly due to the Intel GPU but also due to tight margins.

Quote:

If this was the Old Apple: That would be the "one more thing" product at WWCD.

The rumored ARM powered laptop. 11 inch. A6 quad core with Rouge and the merged MacOSX/iOS that Apple have rumored to be working on over a year.

Remember much of these so called rumors are just crap people pull out of their behinds. Then you have to remember that Apple needs to play hardball with their suppliers. If it wasn't for Apple we wouldn't be seeing the GPU improvements we are seeing today from Intel.

As to WWDC I'm not really convinced that Apple like the idea if hardware releases tied to WWDC. That would mean in this case that we would have to wait several months for updates to Apples bread and butter Mac hardware.

Quote:

When can we have Retina computing?

And will the iPanel have retina?

I think it is sooner than you may believe, but I dont see it being available on every platform immediately. As you note iPad kinda indicates that 10 to 13" screens should be possible today. The problem is putting them into AIRs. So we might see the screens in 13" MBPs and possibly the 15" model.

It is a bit perplexing that the iPad has a HiDPI screen now but that I think the AIRs might not get them right away. Sadly I think it is a bigger engineering challenge there to balance battery size, performance and other factors. IB might help there, I'm just not convinced it is enough.