Organic Light-Emitting Diode Screens (OLED)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Whatever happened to this technology? Are there any sharp, bright 37'' Super Cinema Displays that use very little electricity in the works? :cool:

[ 04-09-2002: Message edited by: phishy ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 2 of 22
    mmastermmaster Posts: 17member
    I think one thing they are trying to improve now before mass production is to improve their life span. Right now they die after a couple thousand hours or something like that.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    jasonppjasonpp Posts: 308member
    You can buy yours from Kodak today. I think Sanyo is building them but Samsung (Apple supplier) and NEC are now licenced to manufacture the technology. They are sampling at MUCH higher than PDA sized screens, but you can only get your hands on the 2.2, 2.4 or 2.16" displays for now.

info here: <a href="http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/display/index.jhtml"; target="_blank">http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/display/index.jhtml</a>;

[ 04-10-2002: Message edited by: JasonPP ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 22
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    The problem with most OLEDS is that they burn out after about 20,000 hours.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    vmxvmx Posts: 10member
    [quote]Originally posted by phishy:

<strong>Whatever happened to this technology? Are there any sharp, bright 37'' Super Cinema Displays that use very little electricity in the works? :cool:

[ 04-09-2002: Message edited by: phishy ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

The technology is still in the works. You can see them in some places like expensive car stereo screens. Eventually, they'll make their ways up to PDAs and portable TVs. You'll notice when they get that far.

The first screens were just a few pixels. When you get bigger than that, you have yield (percent of pixels that work) and lifetime problems. As those problems are overcome for a given size, the door opens to take a look at bigger sizes. Maybe there will be a breakthrough some day and suddenly you'll see 34" HDTV sets based on the technology, but chances are that you'll see them pass through the iBook/Vaio market and PowerBook/Thinkpad laptops on their way by.

When they arrive, you'll know them as the screens that appear to be LCD, but their dark to light contrast will be better, colors will be brighter and likely more uniform, battery life might prolong some, and ghosting will be a thing of the past.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    just a reminder, 20,000 hours is 2.2 years of non stop use (24/7). Not too shabby considering that people don't generally use their monitors 24/7 and 3-4 years out of a monitor is not as bad as it may seem...
  • Reply 7 of 22
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Just for comparison what is the lifespan or current LCD displays?
  • Reply 8 of 22
    The lifespan of the backlight in LCDs is about 12,000 hours.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    OLED lifespans can range anywhere from 10,000 to 40,000 hours, but only for a few components. The problem is that diffrent color LEDs degrade at different rates, so a full color screen would last only about 5,000 hours.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Right now the only viable options for a monitor aournd 37" are plasma and CRT displays. The plasma screens around 40" are in the $8,000-15,000 range.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    alpha macalpha mac Posts: 463member
    [quote]Originally posted by Crusader:

<strong>OLED lifespans can range anywhere from 10,000 to 40,000 hours, but only for a few components. The problem is that diffrent color LEDs degrade at different rates, so a full color screen would last only about 5,000 hours.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think blue goes first
  • Reply 12 of 22
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    correct me if i am wrong, but the other big advantage to oled is that since each led generates its own light, you get a perfectly even distribution of light across the entire screen, as opposed to most standard lcd displays, which have a backlight along one side (my pismo's is along the bottom), where the color can be washed-out by comparison (which, lemme tell ya, makes it a real pain in the arse to adjust for work).

wow, that was one sentence. sheesh.

[ 04-10-2002: Message edited by: rok ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 22
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    blue goes first. at which point someone figured out that if you overload an oled or lcd with blue to begin with, you can seriously extend the life.

i'm still waiting for the CPU case that's encased in an oled that pusles with my iTunes.

even black and white would totally rule.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Oh another cool application of OLEDs is paper like screens.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Originally posted by rok:

[quote]correct me if i am wrong, but the other big advantage to oled is that since each led generates its own light, you get a perfectly even distribution of light across the entire screen, as opposed to most standard lcd displays, <hr></blockquote>

Not really. Since every pixel is a little light source, production differences make for a different brightnes very easily whereas in TFTs, there is only one backlight.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    phishyphishy Posts: 34member
    I know this sounds outlandish, but I've heard every little pixel is an animal of some sort that changes color when subjected to different levels of electricity. That is where the Organic comes from. If so that is some pretty amazing stuff!
  • Reply 17 of 22
    razzfazzrazzfazz Posts: 728member
    [quote]Originally posted by phishy:

<strong>I know this sounds outlandish, but I've heard every little pixel is an animal of some sort that changes color when subjected to different levels of electricity. That is where the Organic comes from. If so that is some pretty amazing stuff!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hehe, not quite. It's just made out of carbon compounds. That's what "organic chemistry" means.

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 18 of 22
    [quote] I know this sounds outlandish, but I've heard every little pixel is an animal of some sort that changes color when subjected to different levels of electricity. That is where the Organic comes from. If so that is some pretty amazing stuff! <hr></blockquote>

If that was true, I would suggest sending larges amounts of energy through Steve Balmer until he turns blue, green, or red
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Nice