PowerMac (Sawtooth) Trivia: How many IDE drives can you have?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
*Without* adding an additional ATA controller.

Is it 2? 3?

thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    I thought it was 4 devices.

2 channels with 2 devices on each

there is one channel for the optical drive and one for the harddrive in the stock configuration
  • Reply 2 of 6
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    [quote]Originally posted by jutus:

<strong>*Without* adding an additional ATA controller.

Is it 2? 3?

thanks!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have your answer. I have the DVD Rom, and 3 IDE hooked up currently. No additional controllers. (I removed the ZIP drive as I NEVER used it.) If you pull the DVD drive you could have 4, but that would limit you quite a bit on software installs unless you purchased an external CD Drive of some type...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    you didn't told us what Sawtooth you have (there were different models), because some of them also have an internal :eek: FireWire port. You could add a FW HD there.

If you aren't sure if you have it, open your PM and look in the front right edge of the MB.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    [quote]Originally posted by Defiant:

<strong>you didn't told us what Sawtooth you have (there were different models), because some of them also have an internal :eek: FireWire port. You could add a FW HD there.

If you aren't sure if you have it, open your PM and look in the front right edge of the MB.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes you are right, I did not state this. I have the model that does have the internal firewire port. However, finding a drive that is small enough to fit inside using firewire has proven difficult for me. I would love a native drive, but they are not to be found so far.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    bobwbobw Posts: 49member
    You can have the CD, Zip and 4 hard drives using an IDE PCI Controller card for the third and 4th hard drives.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    jutusjutus Posts: 272member
    bob, what Noah is saying is that you can have 3 HD's, since your DVD/CD drive uses only one of the two connectors on that controller.

No need to buy a PCI controller for a 3rd internal IDE drive.