iMac 333 RAM and other upgrades...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I currently have 192 MB of memory in my iMac. I have a 128 and a 64. According to LowEndMac, I can have up to 384, according to Apple, I can only have 256. Please advise....

Also, will adding memory beyond 192 MB help with the performance of Jaguar?

Is there anyway to add video memory to my iMac?

Lastly... is there anyway to use this iMac's monitor with a new Powermac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    >>>I currently have 192 MB of memory in my iMac. I have a 128 and a 64. According to LowEndMac, I can have up to 384, according to Apple, I can only have 256. Please advise....

You can DEFINETLY put more than 256MB in the 333. I actually thought you could put 512... but whatever

>>>Also, will adding memory beyond 192 MB help with the performance of Jaguar?

Yep. OS X likes Ram. Give it more ram, the happier it is.

>>>Is there anyway to add video memory to my iMac?

nope. Unless you install that Voodoo2 board... but I dont think you can use it with OS X anyway, so...

>>>Lastly... is there anyway to use this iMac's monitor with a new Powermac?

With a little hackin', sure thing. When you open the back of an old iMac you'll see that one of the cable leading to the monitor is the VGA cable/connector.

Find a way to power the monitor (I guess by just turning it on) and then, instead of having the iMac VGA cable go in the monitor, add the external source input.

Obviously, the back has to bescrewed in to function properly, so the best idea is getting/making a sort of VGA connector extension that leads outside of the casing from inside. IE: Put a cable connected to iMac monitor VGA IN and have it dangle outside through a hole you will probably have to make yourself.

Its messy, but doable.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    You may want more RAM, but I had a machine of similar capability (if a bit slower) - a PowerBook G3 233 MHz. Upping the RAM from 160 MB to 384 MB didn't do any good (BTW, Apple's maximum supported amount is 192 MB). I think the problem isn't that adding RAM doesn't help, it's that for such a slow system in OS X, RAM isn't the problem because the processor is holding everything back anyway.

I've noticed that Apple's stated RAM limits are usually bogus. They only reflect what was available at the time. On my PowerBook G3, for instance, you can have a low profile and a high profile chip. The maximum size for a low profile must have been 64 MB at the time, and a high profile must have been a maximum of 128 MB, so that's how much they supported, and they never revised it. I had 288 MB and 384 MB at various points, and it worked fine both times. I could have bumped the RAM up to 512 MB, but probably not above that.

That is one caveat... older G3s work with 256 MB chips but not 512 MB chips - my brother found that out the hard way when he got a 512 MB chip for his blue G3.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Thanks for your help, but just to make this completely clear to me (I don't know one stick of memory from another). Please tell me exactly what kind of 256 memory I need. (pin number, etc...)

Thanks.