Transferring files from old beige G3 to new iMac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Can I just plug in an ethernet crossover cable to transfer the files over?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    yup...

just remember to turn on AppleTalk services in OSX
  • Reply 2 of 12
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Bodhi: You don't even need a crossover cable because the iMac (like all newer Macs) has an auto-sensing Ethernet port.

Escher
  • Reply 3 of 12
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    But the beige G3 doesn't.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Bodhi:

<strong>But the beige G3 doesn't.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That doesn't matter. As long as one of the two Macs you're trying to connect has an autosensing port. I've exchanged many GBs of files between my Rev.A iMac, which is essentially a beige G3, and my iBook (Dual USB) with a stright (non-crossover) Ethernet cable.

Escher
  • Reply 5 of 12
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    [quote]Originally posted by Escher:

<strong>

my Rev.A iMac, which is essentially a beige G3, </strong><hr></blockquote>

??? Now that is about as big a sin as saying that my ibook is essentially a tibook. What is that all about. Okay, your point has nothing to do with sheer performance, but it is a bit 'showing off', no?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by The Man with the Head:

<strong>??? Now that is about as big a sin as saying that my ibook is essentially a tibook. What is that all about. Okay, your point has nothing to do with sheer performance, but it is a bit 'showing off', no?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not sure what you have against me today, kopvlees. You seem to have a tendency to question everything I say. It's perfectly within your rights, but a bit strange.

As far as I know, with the exception of USB on the iMac, the beige G3 and the Rev.A iMac are nearly identical in terms of hardware. Again, as far as I know, the iMac contained the guts of a then year-old low-end beige G3 in a fancy new all-in-one enclosure, with the only addition of USB (and a built-in-monitor, which has nothing to do with networking).

Escher
  • Reply 7 of 12
    I apologize, Escher, I didn't mean to single you out at all (I just coincidentally disagreed with two posts you wrote, nothing personal, however).

As for this beige G3 vs. imac issue, you might very well be right, I know not too much about it. Yet, I have always thought that the lower-low-end that is (was?) the iMac was made cheaper by, for example, reducing severely the amount of fast memory (which is, if I am correct, one of the very expensive things in a 'puter: the various cache levels), reducing the speed of that memory (i.e. reducing bus speed - using somewhat slower memory accordingly), basically nibble off all the expensive features which nobody but your pro users are likely to need.

(and, a wild guess, I admit, but that might mean only a 10 mbit ethernet port for the imac as opposed to a 10/100 in beige. This however, might not be true.)

But hey, This is basically guesswork.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by The Man with the Head:

<strong>I apologize, Escher, I didn't mean to single you out at all (I just coincidentally disagreed with two posts you wrote, nothing personal, however).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for your kind reply, kopvlees, and not taking offense from the unfriendly tone of my post. I also exaggerated in my response and pretended that I was more sensitive than I am because I was having a bad day. Sorry.

As for Apple saving money by using cheaper components and featuers on the iMac you are right. It's just that the cheaper components and features came from the pro-level beige G3 from the year before. Cheap and old technology are often the same thing.

For the record, both the beige G3s and the early iMacs had only 10bT Ethernet. But the new iMacs have auto-sensing 100bT Ethernet, which can connect to an old non-auto-sensing 10bT via a simple straight (non-crossover) Ethernet cable. You only need auto-sensing on one side. And of course, a crossover cable will work as well.

I'm still curious about your name (see other thread). Kopv-lees (head-less) or with a head?

Escher

[ 10-19-2002: Message edited by: Escher ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 12
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    that's interesting, i tried that the other day between a rev. A G3 iMac to a Rev. A G4 iMac with no luck.

they wouldn't see eachother through appletalk, or via TCP/IP. anyone ever run into this before. afaik, it should have worked just fine, i know i used to do this all the time. target disk mode just spoiled me rotten.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Escher:

<strong>

I'm still curious about your name (see other thread). Kopv-lees (head-less) or with a head?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

actually, you got that a bit wrong (as in, you split up a perfectly intelligible word into two gibberish parts). I am known as der kopf, however, not today, and kopvlees appears to be my login name (I forgot that, really), and kopvlees is a dutch word (the language, not the country - I am belgian, and dutch-speaking as such).

The splitting-up of the word should be performed with care and only like this:

kop - vlees, meaning, literally, HEAD - MEAT. (the German version of the word, Kopf, came about after the second great consonant shift in the germanic languages, many centuries ago).

(there are, BTW, people eating this stuff over here, I mean, you can by it in a butcher's - usually like pressed sheep's head or so... europe's delicatessen, go figure).

[ 10-19-2002: Message edited by: The Beheaded Junkie ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by The Beheaded Junkie:

<strong>The splitting-up of the word should be performed with care and only like this:

kop - vlees, meaning, literally, HEAD - MEAT. (the German version of the word, Kopf, came about after the second great consonant shift in the germanic languages, many centuries ago).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the language and linguistics lesson, The Beheaded Junkie. I was influenced by my Swiss-German origin and thought that kopvlees was equivalent to the German adjective kopflos, which splits into kopf-los, i.e. head-less. My other half being French, I have had the joy of eating many strange delicacies. Unfortunately, I have never had the opportunity sample pressed sheep's head (but many other sheep parts).

Escher
  • Reply 12 of 12
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    @nally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>that's interesting, i tried that the other day between a rev. A G3 iMac to a Rev. A G4 iMac with no luck.

they wouldn't see eachother through appletalk, or via TCP/IP. anyone ever run into this before. afaik, it should have worked just fine, i know i used to do this all the time. target disk mode just spoiled me rotten.</strong>[/QUOTE]

I thought the auto sensing Ethernet card was only included in the PowerMacs, I hadn't realised it was in the new iMac as well. Although only one machine needs to be autosensing, as the automatic crossover need only be performed at one end, I think its recommended the machines be switched on in a certain order. I can't quite remember whether its the autosensing machine first or last, I think first.

[ 10-20-2002: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>