Intel launches next-gen Ivy Bridge processors with 3D transistors

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Intel has officially launched the first wave of its Ivy Bridge processors with a new tri-gate transistor technology, touting the new chips as the "world's first 22 nanometer product."

The chipmaker released 13 quad-core processors on Sunday and promised that new dual-core processors will arrive later in the spring. MacNN reports that the first batch of chips are from the Core i5 and i7 families.

CEO Paul Otellini said earlier this month that the "bulk" of the initial Ivy Bridge lineup would arrive in desktop PCs. However, Apple is expected to use the new quad-core chips in an update to its MacBook Pro line.

After moving to a 22nm process for Ivy Bridge, Intel boasts 20 percent more performance while using 20 percent less power. Intel PC business chief Kirk Skaugen told the BBC that the launch will be Intel's "fastest ramp ever."

"There will be 50% more supply than we had early in the product cycle of our last generation, Sandy Bridge, a year ago. And we're still constrained based on the amount of demand we're seeing in the marketplace," he said.

Ivy Bridge also introduces a transistor technology 11 years in the making. By moving from flat two-dimensional transistors to new three-dimensional "tri-gate transistors," Intel has managed to improve both performance and energy efficiency with minimal cost increases.

"A lot of people had thought that Moore's law was coming to an end," Skaugen told the BBC. "What Intel has been able to do is instead of just shrinking the transistor in two dimensions, we have been able to create a three-dimensional transistor for the first time.

Intel chip
Left: Traditional design; Right: Intel tri-gate, via BBC

Graphics are a key area of improvement for the new processors. Ivy Bridge supports 4K resolution and will feature as much as a 60 percent performance boost over the current-generation Sandy Bridge chips.

Dwindling inventory points to an upcoming upgrade of Apple's 15-inch MacBook Pro. AppleInsider reported in February that the company would first revamp its 15-inch MacBook Pro before eventually overhauling its 17-inch notebook.

Apple is expected draw upon the success of the MacBook Air by removing the optical disk drive from its pro-level notebooks. Reports have also suggested that the Mac maker may significantly increase the screen resolution of its laptops.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 110
    C'mon Apple!

Daddy needs a new 13" MacBook Pro with REAL graphics power... but will settle for a lighter and thinner MacBook Air-like 15" MacBook Pro if the new 13" MBP (if they even decide to keep offering it) doesn't offer a dedicated graphics card, which it probably won't.

I think Apple will dump the 13" MBP if it doesn't have a discreet GPU because then it is essentially a MBA.

I guess I'll have to see benchmarks for the new Ivy Bridge integrated graphics processor though before choosing between IGP in a 13" MBA and discreet GPU in a 15" MBP.
  • Reply 2 of 110
    Ivy Bridge? Intel doesn't seem in a hurry to update the Xeon. Poor Mac Pro.
  • Reply 3 of 110
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacQuest View Post

C'mon Apple!

Daddy needs a new 13" MacBook Pro with REAL graphics power... but will settle for a lighter and thinner MacBook Air-like 15" MacBook Pro if the new 13" MBP (if they even decide to keep offering it) doesn't offer a dedicated graphics card, which it probably won't.

I think Apple will dump the 13" MBP if it doesn't have a discreet GPU because then it is essentially a MBA.

I guess I'll have to see benchmarks for the new Ivy Bridge integrated graphics processor though before choosing between IGP in a 13" MBA and discreet GPU in a 15" MBP.

Repeating that over and over doesn't make it true. It still has a lot of functionality over an Air. I don't know how sales compare between the two.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I've posted this before, but nothing is available in Ivy Bridge E before Q2 of 2013. It may suck, but there's nothing Apple can really do there. I find it a little weird that Intel is letting the Xeons slip to around Haswell's release date. I wouldn't suggest a mac pro purchase today given the potential for Apple to eol OS updates on it past mountain lion given that the board design came out in 2009. 

• Reply 4 of 110
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Repeating that over and over doesn't make it true. It still has a lot of functionality over an Air. I don't know how sales compare between the two.

I've posted this before, but nothing is available in Ivy Bridge E before Q2 of 2013. It may suck, but there's nothing Apple can really do there. I find it a little weird that Intel is letting the Xeons slip to around Haswell's release date. I wouldn't suggest a mac pro purchase today given the potential for Apple to eol OS updates on it past mountain lion given that the board design came out in 2009. 

The Mac Pro was never updated to Sandy Bridge E either.

• Reply 5 of 110

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Sandy Bridge E Xeons just began to show in products on the last couple of months. It's still time for Apple to put them on the Mac Pro. Also, the Sandy Bridge E Xeon is this year's Xeon. You're not going to get anything better until next year.

• Reply 6 of 110
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I believe I heard Intel only recently got around to releasing a new Xeon Sandy Bridge "Extreme" or some such that was being speculated for a possible (and likely last gasp) Thunderbolt equipped Mac Pro, i.e., one that would keep the pros happy for awhile with the TB bus as obsolescence insurance.  

• Reply 7 of 110
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Awesome, 3D technology is amazing. Good on Intel. Long may her ship sail.

• Reply 8 of 110
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    aizmov wrote: »

Intel should just skip Ivy Bridge altogether for the Xeons and go right to Haswell next year and Apple can redesign the Pro around that.
  • Reply 9 of 110
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Intel should just skip Ivy Bridge altogether for the Xeons and go right to Haswell next year and Apple can redesign the Pro around that.

I think WWDC 2012 will be very exciting for everyone and I'm not speaking about Intel.

• Reply 10 of 110
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

OK Apple, as quickly as you can. throw this into a super slim 30" iMac and send me the bill.image

• Reply 11 of 110
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member

What are you smoking? It must be strong stuff.

• Reply 12 of 110
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

I wouldn't suggest a mac pro purchase today given the potential for Apple to eol OS updates on it past mountain lion given that the board design came out in 2009. 

The Mac Pro is bought for professional use, and professionals buy when they need to. I ordered another new Mac Pro last week in the full knowledge that it's ripe for update—OK, overripe! But we've hired a new employee, and she needs a new workstation.

My order should pretty much guarantee an imminent Mac Pro update...

• Reply 13 of 110
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

New Macs on Tuesday? Might explain why they bought the announcement forward a week.

• Reply 14 of 110
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Intel should just skip ALL this stuff altogether and go right to Skymont.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

New Macs on Tuesday? Might explain why they bought the announcement forward a week.

What's out now, just the laptop chips? The Mac Mini is the only thing that could be updated this week, then. The MacBook Pro will require an event, the iMac's chips aren't out yet, and the Mac Pro is definitely getting an event (provided it isn't being discontinued).

• Reply 15 of 110
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

My order should pretty much guarantee an imminent Mac Pro update...

Not to worry. My experience with Apple is that if you are ordering during a transition to a new model, then it will make available the new model of comparable or superior value to the model you ordered.

• Reply 16 of 110
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Not to worry. My experience with Apple is that if you are ordering during a transition to a new model, then it will make available the new model of comparable or superior value to the model you ordered.

You know he's being facetious right?  

So the corollary would be the new model will happen just late enough to be outside this window because Murphy reigns supreme.

• Reply 17 of 110
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacQuest View Post

C'mon Apple!

Almost everybody that I know are using the MacBook Pro as their main work station. Without a dedicated graphics card, most of them would have to use a stationary computer as their main workstation the next time they update. The GFX chips are small enough to fit into a 15" air form factor. But with the 13" you're probably right. It probably will be all discreet.

I hope the displays will show a significant update though. The current displays are pretty bad both in colours and reflection. Probably too soon for "iPad3-displays" showing up in MacBooks though.

• Reply 18 of 110
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I think WWDC 2012 will be very exciting for everyone and I'm not speaking about Intel.

I dunno, Intel will probably be quite happy to see their chips used in the entire lineup again.
    Intel should just skip ALL this stuff altogether and go right to Skymont.

Well yeah but they have to get the fabrication in place and make enough money to profit from the upgrade. They already have 22nm in place due to Ivy Bridge so they might as well forget Ivy Bridge Xeons and just fab the Haswell architecture instead. Then use the profits from Haswell to fund Skylake/mont R&D, plant upgrades etc.

At this stage, they don't really have any competition though so they can do what they like.
  • Reply 19 of 110
    not1lostnot1lost Posts: 136member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

OK Apple, as quickly as you can. throw this into a super slim 30" iMac and send me the bill.image

Yeah! Send me one too! I'm at the door looking for the UPS truck now! image

• Reply 20 of 110
    not1lostnot1lost Posts: 136member

I think it's pretty strange with all that is happening, that I cant find one word in any news anywhere about WWDC 2012 ???? Also makes me nervous ~