Apple profits surge 94% on sales of 35.1M iPhones, 11.8M iPads

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Don't count your chickens etc... Apple's forward statement was rather soft.

Apple's forward statement is always soft.  Everybody knows that and we all ignore it.

Apple has $115 per share in cash.  It trades at 9 times forward earnings ex-cash.

I am counting my chickens, roosters, hens, and every other farm animal....image

• Reply 22 of 86
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    bsimpsen wrote: »
    Good grief, look at gross margin, up 6% Y/Y to 47.6%.

Impressive, but is it too high? What gave that much of a boost-- 600 basis points is really a 15% jump.
  • Reply 23 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Apple's forward statement is always soft.  Everybody knows that and we all ignore it.

Apple has $115 per share in cash.  It trades at 9 times forward earnings ex-cash.

I am counting my chickens, roosters, hens, and every other farm animal....image

Not everyone ignores it.

• Reply 24 of 86

Quote:

Not everyone ignores it.

Those who have chosen not to ignore it have missed the massive run-up in the stock.  Or worse, been short.  Ouch !!

• Reply 25 of 86
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

I did a few changes on my option holding before the close:

I had at the close:

1 x 550 april put

2 x 570 may calls

1 x 550 august call

1 x 550 october call

1 x 550 jan2013 call.

Bought shares on my wife account at 560.

• Reply 26 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Haha. Here's a big **** You to all of the retards, doubters and useless analysts out there who do nothing but spread shit, nonsense and lies about Apple. 

Those who doubted the mighty Apple juggernaut have been made to look like complete morons and incompetent fools yet again.

edit - So I can't curse on this forum anymore? That is depressing. 

Your need to curse has been trumped by all the losers who sold in the past couple of days: can you imagine how they feel, with AI's new policy? image

PS: The only thing that makes me want to curse is AI's new look and feel. It's depressing, really. Btw, WTF is up with the fact that half the icons don't respond to touch on an iPad!?

• Reply 27 of 86
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

Quote:

Don't count your chickens etc... Apple's forward statement was rather soft.

par for the RDF course.

• Reply 28 of 86
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member

Today was a great day to buy on the downs.

• Reply 29 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I had at the close:

1 x 550 april put

2 x 570 may calls

1 x 550 august call

1 x 550 october call

1 x 550 jan2013 call.

Stop boasting about your trades. I could tell you that I bought 5000 shares at $562, but I won't because you have no way to assess if that was true.

• Reply 30 of 86
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

Idiots who sold the stock due to headline grabbing mind-controlling jitters.

Do not bet against Apple, not right now!

Nothing wrong with dirtbag shorts trying to fool stockholders into panicking and selling... People really should learn to ignore the shorts.

• Reply 31 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Stop boasting about your trades. I could tell you that I bought 5000 shares at $560, but I won't because you have no way to assess if that was true.

Why? I like herb talking about his trades. I'd rather he posted his trades as he makes them, however.

• Reply 32 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Today was a great day to buy on the downs.

I suppose. I've been in 'buy and hold' mode for some time now. I don't trust all the "free cash" sloshing around in the market right now. Bernanke is setting up this country for another massive bubble.

• Reply 33 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Those who have chosen not to ignore it have missed the massive run-up in the stock.  Or worse, been short.  Ouch !!

See... you have no idea what you are talking about.

The forward guidance for the holiday quarter was $37 billion.... far above the numbers announced at that time for the previous quarter. Knowing that Apple is always conservative you would have had to been a fool to not know that there was going to be a run up at some point soon after that time (middle of October or so).

Had Apple guided $28 billion at that time the run up wouldn't have been so great and right now we are guiding down and, most likely, in July they will guide down again... until the guidance for the holiday quarter.

• Reply 34 of 86
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Whoever did buy 5000 shares at 562 just made $200,000 in a very short time period. Too bad it wasn't me. :)

• Reply 35 of 86
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member

Quote:

Stop boasting about your trades. I could tell you that I bought 5000 shares at $562, but I won't because you have no way to assess if that was true.

Not sure he was boasting, just saying.  That was like less than $1k in contracts..  The August $550 call was a great deal today. 

• Reply 36 of 86
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

AAPL will reach $700 by the end of the week.

That would be what you'd call 'a heck of a sling shot effect' if it does!    Here's hoping ... but I'd settle for mid 600s this week ...  :)

• Reply 37 of 86

Quote:

C'mon... if you're going to boast say that you bought 10,000 shares at $20 pre-split...

• Reply 38 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I had at the close:

1 x 550 april put

2 x 570 may calls

1 x 550 august call

1 x 550 october call

1 x 550 jan2013 call.

My guess is that you will do very well except for the put.  If you don't mind me asking, how much did the options cost?

• Reply 39 of 86
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member

Quote:

I don't think you can even hope for iPad sales above 14 million until the holiday quarter.

The new iPad was only available the last 2 weeks of the quarter and they managed to sell 11.8 millions iPads total.  +14 million with a full quarter of new iPad sales doesn't seem too tough. 

• Reply 40 of 86
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

Quote:

Your need to curse has been trumped by all the losers who sold in the past couple of days: can you imagine how they feel, with AI's new policy? image

PS: The only thing that makes me want to curse is AI's new look and feel. It's depressing, really. Btw, WTF is up with the fact that half the icons don't respond to touch on an iPad!?

I agree it is very weird to use on an iPad.   That seems rather a strange decision for a blog that is aimed at Apple ....  I'd have suggested making it super iPad friendly!  Then I was never asked.  :)