ATI ROM 126 Updater Issue

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Today I saw that ATI has just released an update for its retail Radeon cards. I went to the driver update page and saw that the page also had a ROM 126 updater. Checking Apple System Profiler, I discovered I was using the ROM 123 version in my Mac Radeon 8500, so I downloaded it as well. When I attempted to run the ROM 126 updater in MacOS X 10.2.1, it would attempt to start, but fail. So, I rebooted into MacOS 9.2.2 and tried again. This time it started up, displayed a small window for a moment, then crashed with a Type 1 error. Upon reboot, I had NO VIDEO, either on my DVI or my VGA port. The ROM updater had trashed my video card's firmware when it crashed. Now, I have to ship it back to ATI for repair. The lesson I learn from this is that if you're not having problems with your video card, think long and hard about flashing something so vital as your video ROM. Fortunately, I still have my old Radeon card to use as I wait...

[ 10-17-2002: Message edited by: Dave Marsh ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    thanks for the info
  • Reply 2 of 2
    On a positive note, ATI shipped me a replacement card in four business days. And yes, its ROM is still at 123, vice the new 126. However, I'm not attempting a reflash again until something doesn't work properly. ATI's customer service was very responsive and courteous. It cost me ~$20 to ship the firmware-damaged card back after I received the replacement (yes, I had to use my credit card as security...it remains to be seen how long they take to post my credit).