SuperDuper won't back up MBP Hard Drive-Giving Error Code

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

I have a OS X Lion 10.7.3 based Macbook Pro and use the newest version of SuperDuper to do backups.  I back up to an OWC external hard drive. I have used this system for around 3 years on multiple laptops/drives with no problems.

For some reason it won't work now on my Macbook Pro. When I backup it fails at a certain part of the backup. I thought it was simply my system had too much open and was running slow so did a restart and didn't open anything other than SuperDuper but that did not fix it.  Then I thought it was a bad Firewire 800 cable so tried a 2nd one with no luck.  Then I tried a USB 2.0 cable with no luck.

I then figured that either my laptop's hard drive or my OWC hard drive is going bad.  I realized that the error where it fails occurs at the same part of the backup almost everytime.

I then realized you can view the log of the backup and I did that and looking at the bottom I see where the problem is.  Here is that part of the log:

| 02:50:17 AM | Info |       /Users

| 02:56:21 AM | Info |       /.Trashes

| 02:56:21 AM | Info |       /.Spotlight-V100

| 02:56:21 AM | Info |       Preserving /.Spotlight-V100

| 02:56:36 AM | Info |       /.MobileBackups

| 02:56:36 AM | Info |       Error copying /.MobileBackups/Computer/2012-04-22-102239/Volume/Users/Mark/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/mt8wlqz7.default/Mail/Local Folders/AVC.sbd/Ordered Items to /Volumes/OWC On The Go/.MobileBackups/Computer/2012-04-22-102239/Volume/Users/Mark/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/mt8wlqz7.default/Mail/Local Folders/AVC.sbd/Ordered Items of type 8 due to error 28

| 02:56:36 AM | Error | SDCopy: Error copying /.MobileBackups/Computer/2012-04-22-102239/Volume/Users/Mark/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/mt8wlqz7.default/Mail/Local Folders/AVC.sbd/Ordered Items to /Volumes/OWC On The Go/.MobileBackups/Computer/2012-04-22-102239/Volume/Users/Mark/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/mt8wlqz7.default/Mail/Local Folders/AVC.sbd/Ordered Items of type 8 due to error 28: No space left on device

I don't know enough about this type of thing to know what the means. I use Mozilla Thunderbird for email and Ordered Items is one of my categories on the local computer in Thunderbird.

Does this appear to be a problem with the hard drive or is it possibly some type of corrupt file that I have to remove or repair?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    markw10 wrote: »
    I don't know enough about this type of thing to know what the means. I use Mozilla Thunderbird for email and Ordered Items is one of my categories on the local computer in Thunderbird.

Does this appear to be a problem with the hard drive or is it possibly some type of corrupt file that I have to remove or repair?

One of the errors was that it ran out of space on the external drive. If there is enough space, try excluding that particular folder using the steps on page 23 here:

http://homepage.mac.com/dnanian/SuperDuper/SuperDuper.pdf

Carbon Copy Cloner has an easier interface for backups so consider it as an alternative to Superduper.

If it is running out of space, consider excluding large files or upgrading your external drive.