'Steve Jobs: The Lost Interview' coming back to Landmark theaters May 11

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A 70-minute documentary featuring interview footage with late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs that was originally thought to have been lost is set to begin a run at Landmark Theatres locations in 19 cities on May 11.

MacNN reports that "Steve Jobs: The Lost Interview" will return to Landmark theaters beginning next week. Magnolia Pictures also plans to release the documentary on DVD and to other theaters this summer.

The film had a limited theatrical release last November.

The footage is from a 1995 interview with journalist Robert Cringely for his "Triumph of the Nerds" PBS miniseries. The master tapes were lost during shipping, but a VHS copy of the interview was recovered in London last October. The tapes were digitized and restored in preparation for screening.

The film features Jobs' thoughts on fellow technology executives Bill Gates and former Apple CEO John Sculley. The interview first gained notoriety because of a quote by Jobs that dismissed Microsoft as having "no taste" and making "really third-rate products."

Jobs also waxed philosophical about product design during the interview. "Designing a product is keeping 5,000 things in your brain, these concepts, and fitting them all together in kind of continuing to push to fit them together in new and different ways to get what you want," he said. "And every day you discover something new, that is a new problem or a new opportunity, to fit these things together a little differently."

1995 is viewed as the tail end of Jobs' so-called "wilderness years" away from Apple. A separate set of rediscovered audio interviews with Jobs during the same period have been depicted as showing the critical growth that he underwent while working at NeXT and Pixar.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    sandyfsandyf Posts: 42member

Inspiring...somehow I'm always able to discover another nugget to create another dot 

• Reply 2 of 10
    kirstenkirsten Posts: 2member

The film is also playing at The Colonial Theatre in Phoenixville, PA from May 12 - 17: http://www.thecolonialtheatre.com/2012/events/steve-jobs-the-lost-interview/

• Reply 3 of 10
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    kirsten wrote: »
    The film is also playing at The Colonial Theatre in Phoenixville, PA from May 12 - 17: http://www.thecolonialtheatre.com/2012/events/steve-jobs-the-lost-interview/

That link says:
    Steve Jobs: The Lost Interview
    Directed by Paul Sen. US. 2011. NR. 70 min. Magnolia. Blu ray.
    Sat, May 12 thru Thu, May 17 -- Roll over to view showtimes.

Hmm, Blu Ray. Sourced from VHS?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    kirstenkirsten Posts: 2member

Yes, it is on blu ray, but that's the only format available. The only source footage found and usable was on VHS so there's only so much clean up that can be done. But, I think the lure of this movie is the content, not the visuals.

• Reply 5 of 10
    waldobushmanwaldobushman Posts: 774member

Don't you just love news that isn't. This movie will be released in 19 theaters. Nowhere on the web of journalists' sites is a list or even the cities where this will be shown. Wouldn't it be interesting if reporters actually knew how to gather information to report? 

So, here from Magnolia Pictures are the dates and theaters:

5/4/2012

Montreal, QC: Cinema Du Parc

5/11/2012

Little Rock, AR: Market Street Cinema

Cupertino, CA: Bluelight Cinemas

Sacramento, CA: Crest Theatre

Asbury Park, NJ: The ShowRoom

Corvallis, OR: Darkside Cinema 4

Charleston, SC: Terrace Theatre

5/12/2012

Phoenixville, PA: Colonial Theatre

5/13/2012

Miami, FL: Miami Dade College Tower Theater

Seattle, WA: Grand Illusion Cinema

5/15/2012

San Francisco, CA: Castro Theatre

5/18/2012

Tempe, AZ: Valley Art 1 Theatre

Taos, NM: Harwood Museum of Art

Portland, OR: Hollywood Theatre

Spokane, WA: Magic Lantern Theatre

5/19/2012

Pittsfield, MA: Little Cinema - Berkshire Museum

5/20/2012

Columbus, OH: Gateway Film Center 8

Bethlehem, PA: ArtsQuest Center at SteelStacks

5/21/2012

Pittsburgh, PA: Regent Square Theater

5/26/2012

Three Rivers, MI: Riviera Theatre

6/7/2012

Gloucester, MA: Cape Ann Community Cinema

6/8/2012

Peekskill, NY: Paramount Center

6/17/2012

Daytona Beach, FL: Cinematique of Daytona

6/18/2012

Tulsa, OK: Circle Cinema

6/23/2012

Peekskill, NY: Paramount Center

7/7/2012

Houston, TX: The Museum of Fine Arts

8/3/2012

Rochester, NY: Dryden Theatre

• Reply 6 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The master tapes were lost during shipping, but a VHS copy of the interview was recovered in London last October. The tapes were digitized and restored in preparation for screening.

I really wonder what a VHS tape will look like on the big screen.

Wait.  We already know.

• Reply 7 of 10
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

I really wonder what a VHS tape will look like on the big screen.

Wait.  We already know.

Why not refer to that handy-dandy chart that people always pull out whenever someone says they're excited for Super Hi-Vision? 

You know, the one created by people with terrible eyes to make them feel better about how they alone can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080.

• Reply 8 of 10
    bryandbryand Posts: 78member

I'm as big an Apple fan as anyone, but there's no way that I'm going to a movie theatre to watch VHS footage of old interviews. I don't even think I would pay for the DVD for this, unless its released really cheap. This is material for Youtube. Free is about all I would pay for it.

• Reply 9 of 10
    techguy911techguy911 Posts: 269member
    bryand wrote: »
    I'm as big an Apple fan as anyone, but there's no way that I'm going to a movie theatre to watch VHS footage of old interviews. I don't even think I would pay for the DVD for this, unless its released really cheap. This is material for Youtube. Free is about all I would pay for it.

Yeah, I really don't get how they thought 20 minutes of footage from an old interview from the 90s is something to release to movie theatres.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

WTF. Put it on iTunes already. Screw the second theater run.