Apple reveals security specifics of iOS 5.1.1 update

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Following the release of Apple's iOS 5.1.1 update for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, the company refreshed its support webpage regarding the new software's security tweaks which include one Safari browser and two WebKit fixes.

Monday's iOS 5.1.1 rollout brought various bug fixes including HDR reliability and network switching, though the initial release note failed to mention what security changes made on the backend.

From the updated Support page:
iOS 5.1.1 Software Update
Safari

Available for: iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation) and later, iPad, iPad 2

Impact: A maliciously crafted website may be able to spoof the address in the location bar

Description: A URL spoofing issue existed in Safari. This could be used in a malicious web site to direct the user to a spoofed site that visually appeared to be a legitimate domain. This issue is addressed through improved URL handling. This issue does not affect OS X systems.

CVE-ID

CVE-2012-0674 : David Vieira-Kurz of MajorSecurity (majorsecurity.net)

WebKit

Available for: iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation) and later, iPad, iPad 2

Impact: Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to a cross-site scripting attack

Description: Multiple cross-site scripting issues existed in WebKit.

CVE-ID

CVE-2011-3046 : Sergey Glazunov working with Google's Pwnium contest

CVE-2011-3056 : Sergey Glazunov

WebKit

Impact: Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution

Description: A memory corruption issue existed in WebKit.

CVE-ID

CVE-2012-0672 : Adam Barth and Abhishek Arya of the Google Chrome Security Team
The fixes take care of an issue first discovered in March that allowed a malicious website to display a custom URL that is different than a website's actual address. The spoofing technique could have been used to trick users into unknowingly handing over sensitive information like credit card numbers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Google identifying and offering fixes to Apple for Safari security issues, and Apple accepting. Nice to see them working together.

• Reply 2 of 27
    mysticalosmysticalos Posts: 25member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Google identifying and offering fixes to Apple for Safari security issues, and Apple accepting. Nice to see them working together.

Don't forget google uses webkit for Chrome

The two things identified by google are in Webkit, not safari.

• Reply 3 of 27

Quote:

Impact: A maliciously crafted website may be able to spoof the address in the location bar

Impact: Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to a cross-site scripting attack

In y opinion, apple needs to do MUCH better at protecting iOS users.  They are not sophisticated, and so are the perfect candidates for falling prey to these maliciously crafted websites.

• Reply 4 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

In y opinion, apple needs to do MUCH better at protecting iOS users.  They are not sophisticated, and so are the perfect candidates for falling prey to these maliciously crafted websites.

I want to see how you backpedal your way out of explaining how that's NOT an insult directed at all users of iOS.

• Reply 5 of 27
    In y opinion, apple needs to do MUCH better at protecting iOS users.  Many, if not most of them are not sophisticated, and so are the perfect candidates for falling prey to these maliciously crafted websites.

I want to see how you backpedal your way out of explaining how that's NOT an insult directed at all users of iOS.

I spoke too broadly. Thanks for the comment. I improved the post above in bold.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    techguy911techguy911 Posts: 269member

Quote:

So what would be the device sophisticated people are using?

• Reply 7 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

Quote:

So what would be the device sophisticated people are using?

According to a story that broke today, Android outsells iOS on phones by more than two to one.

Android reclaims 61 percent of all U.S. smartphone sales

Grabbing ground lost during the holiday quarter, Android now holds almost two-thirds of the U.S. market, says NPD Group.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57429192-93/android-reclaims-61-percent-of-all-u.s-smartphone-sales/

smartphone-os-npd.jpg

• Reply 8 of 27

Quote:

According to a story that broke today, Android outsells iOS on phones by more than two to one.

The more Android "sells", the less money each phone, each product line, and each manufacturer make. Eventually there won't be any money in making them at all.

Apple has three quarters of all the profits. How much is made on each Android phone? A few cents? That can't be sustainable.

• Reply 9 of 27
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The more Android "sells", the less money each phone, each product line, and each manufacturer make. Eventually there won't be any money in making them at all.

Apple has three quarters of all the profits. How much is made on each Android phone? A few cents? That can't be sustainable.

ZZZ is trying to make himself feel better that if Android is losing money for the manufacturers, they surely can make it up by volume.  :)

• Reply 10 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

ZZZ is trying to make himself feel better that if Android is losing money for the manufacturers, they surely can make it up by volume.  :)

And pulling a FreeRange by making his title gigantic, it seems. image

• Reply 11 of 27
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    zzz wrote: »

It is more of a problem for highly sophisticated users; you lose all means to protect yourself in a closed environment like a smartphone-- it isn't like you can run netstat to check for abnormal network connections or KisMac to look for abnormalities in wifi access points. Much of security today relies on trust and good human nature despite evidence that it doesn't work.

When it comes to things like checking my brokerage account from my iPad, I worry a bit, despite using my provider's app for most access. It won't get any better until something major changes.
  • Reply 12 of 27

Quote:

Quote:

And pulling a FreeRange by making his title gigantic, it seems. image

All I did was cut and paste.  It just works like that.

• Reply 13 of 27

Quote:

Quote:

We've heard over and over again that Android is doomed.  And yet, most people, by a large margin, buy Android phones.

And the proportions are getting larger and larger.  Maybe it is Doomed, but ther is scant evidence for that proposition.

• Reply 14 of 27
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

We've heard over and over again that Android is doomed.  And yet, most people, by a large margin, buy Android phones.

And the proportions are getting larger and larger.  Maybe it is Doomed, but ther is scant evidence for that proposition.

So, by the logic presented by yourself, most people are 'sophisticated'. Is that correct?

It appears that you and reality may be about to have a heated discussion:

iq-bell-curve.gif

I don't think Android is so much 'doomed'.

It's probably fairer, and more accurate, to describe it as 'a quality-control infestation that needs to be addressed as soon as possible'.

• Reply 15 of 27
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Apple sells at most, 2-3 models, all under one roof. 

Android comes on a vast range of "smartphones" (some not so smart), and a portion of that is junk. 

How is Android surpassing iOS market share even remotely impressive? Especially when Android is an utter failure in the tablet space.

• Reply 16 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

So, by the logic presented by yourself, most people are 'sophisticated'. Is that correct?

No, that doesn't follow from anything I said.

If you're really interested, I think that every popular platform has sophisticated and unsophisticated users.  It is a matter of proportion.

That being said, there are probably many more unsophisticated Android users, due to, if nothing else, the fact that  Android's market share dwarfs that of iOS on phones.  But if you look at proportions, I'm not sure that iPhones really attracts many techno-geeks.  They are not Apple targeted customers.

• Reply 17 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

How is Android surpassing iOS market share even remotely impressive? Especially when Android is an utter failure in the tablet space.

It is impressive in somewhat the same manner  that Windows surpasses OSX market share.  Especially when Windows was an utter failure in the tablet space.

Hey - Apple has done very well in the tablet space so far.

• Reply 18 of 27
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

No, that doesn't follow from anything I said.

If you're really interested, I think that every popular platform has sophisticated and unsophisticated users.  It is a matter of proportion.

That being said, there are probably many more unsophisticated Android users, due to, if nothing else, the fact that  Android's market share dwarfs that of iOS on phones.  But if you look at proportions, I'm not sure that iPhones really attracts many techno-geeks.  They are not Apple targeted customers.

Post 6 - "apple needs to do MUCH better at protecting iOS users.  Many, if not most of them are not sophisticated"

Post 8 - "Android outsells iOS on phones by more than two to one."

Therefore, if Android outsells iOS on phones more than two to one, and iOS users are unsophisticated, then the majority must be sophisticated.

That's what you said, intentionally or not.

Don't you hate when reality gets in the way of your opinion? image
  • Reply 19 of 27
    rbelsrbels Posts: 29member

Quote:

If that were the case, Samesung wouldn't have minted billions out of the smartphones last quarter. Having seen such madness as 2Gig RAM on LG (without practical use), one must see beyond just the usability of these so called 'smart' phones. There is a large portion of public out there who just want to flash a smart phone and yet are conservative in spending. They will definitely go for an inexpensive phone or the higher end phones that Samesung sells with higher margins. Many still see iPhones to be expensive and thus will settle for a cheaper version and will give boost to the Android market share. But at the same time, I believe higher end phones do have fat margins (all manufacturers alike) and will not be loss makers. why will a phone cost me almost same as a tablet?

Believe me, I have come across so many IT managers who flash a iPhone without a clue on what version of iOS they are running on, what is a podcast etc! For these folks, what ever looks flashy, they will go grab that handset.

• Reply 20 of 27
    rbelsrbels Posts: 29member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rBels View Post

If that were the case, Samesung wouldn't have minted billions out of the smartphones last quarter. Having seen such madness as 2Gig RAM on LG (without practical use), one must see beyond just the usability of these so called 'smart' phones. There is a large portion of public out there who just want to flash a smart phone and yet are conservative in spending. They will definitely go for an inexpensive phone or the higher end phones that Samesung sells with higher margins. Many still see iPhones to be expensive and thus will settle for a cheaper version and will give boost to the Android market share. But at the same time, I believe higher end phones do have fat margins (all manufacturers alike) and will not be loss makers. why will a phone cost me almost same as a tablet?

Believe me, I have come across so many IT managers who flash a iPhone without a clue on what version of iOS they are running on, what is a podcast etc! For these folks, what ever looks flashy, they will go grab that handset.

oops...