Why would a user with zero infractions be banned?

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014

I've committed the sin of signing up for a duplicate account, but please read this whole message before you judge me.

I signed up a couple years ago with my preferred username of stevenjklein.

At some point in the past, my account somehow became banned. I was never given any reason, and since I was banned, I couldn't post a message asking for an explanation.

But if you go to my infractions page, you'll see I have zero infractions.  I only ever posted two messages under that name, and both messages are completely innocuous and inoffensive.

And yet, on my profile page, the word "Banned" appears next to my name, meaning I'm not allowed to post messages.

Can anyone explain this?

Is there any way to have that other account unbanned?  I'd gladly delete this account if only I could use that one.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I'm at a loss here, I don't see anything that would have caused anyone to ban you.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    It does look like the posts you're making today got deleted by the auto-spambot software, because of the links in your first posts.
  • Reply 3 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It does look like the posts you're making today got deleted by the auto-spambot software, because of the links in your first posts.

Not quite. When I first tried posting, I included a link to my infractions page.

When I clicked "submit," I got an error saying that I didn't have permission to post.  It took me a few tries before I figured out what the problem was.

Apparently, a non-admin can't post a link to a page that only admins are permitted to view.

Here's the URL I tried posting, but formatted so as to not appear as a link:

http://forums.appleinsider.com [slash] moderation/infractions/user/id/52913

So JeffDM, can you unblock my old account?

• Reply 4 of 5
    Done, I think.

I was saying referring to your posts on this account that you're currently using, but that doesn't matter anymore.

But yes, I couldn't find anything that explains your other count being banned. It's possible the style of the first post reminded a mod of a spammer. With spammers, we don't bother with infractions. I apologize on behalf of the mods that you were mistakenly banned.
  • Reply 5 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I apologize on behalf of the mods that you were mistakenly banned.

Apology accepted. But I'm still banned.