SAFARI: Blocking specific domains from ever launching pop-ups?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

Can someone tell me if there is some way to block a specific domain from ever launching via a pop-up window? Without using Parental Controls. The solution I would most like is an extension, I am unable to do this with AdBlock or Javascript Blacklist. I cannot believe Safari doesn't offer a domain blacklist as a standard feature. I cannot believe Safari's window pop-up blocker isn't better.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    If you disable javascript and the popups still work, they must be standard links. If disabling javascript stops the popups, there must be something wrong with the javascript blacklist. You might need to put a wildcard in for the domain e.g *.domain.com.

If you just need to stop certain sites loading, you can use /etc/hosts and redirect them to 127.0.0.1. That will load a blank popup.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If you disable javascript and the popups still work, they must be standard links. If disabling javascript stops the popups, there must be something wrong with the javascript blacklist. You might need to put a wildcard in for the domain e.g *.domain.com.

If you just need to stop certain sites loading, you can use /etc/hosts and redirect them to 127.0.0.1. That will load a blank popup.

How do I do the latter?

• Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    ireland wrote: »
    Marvin wrote: »

How do I do the latter?

In the terminal, type:

cp /etc/hosts ~/Desktop
    edit it with TextEdit by adding lines at the bottom with 127.0.0.1 first, then a tab and the URL:

127.0.0.1 www.blockedsite.com

Save and then copy it back to /etc/hosts, you need to use sudo:

sudo cp ~/Desktop/hosts /etc/hosts

You can also edit the file directly using a terminal editor like nano, which saves copying things around:

sudo nano /etc/hosts
    scroll down to the bottom and write the above line 127.0.0.1...
    hit ctrl-o and then return to save it
    ctrl-x to close the file

This is a system-wide change so no matter what browser you use, the site is blocked.