Reset firmware, how?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a new Dual PowerMac and would like to know how one does reset there firmware and what that does? Does it fix stuff like the P-Ram reset?

Please tell

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    To reset: Reboot your Mac and hold down Command + Option + O + F. This will boot the Mac into Open Firmware. Then type in reset-nvram, then type reset-all. That will reset it and reboot the Mac.

I don't recommend doing that unless you're actually having problems that running fsck and zapping the pram don't fix.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    And why don't you recommend doing this? what bad can happen? Does something bad happen also sometimes when one uses this way?

Frank_t
  • Reply 3 of 6
    No, it's just unneccessary unless something's really wrong, and I never advocate going into your own firmware unless you really have to. If you want to try it, go ahead.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    OK, but if i do what you told me about reseting my firmware what can happen that is bad?

Your not saying in any of your replys as to why you don't recommend one going this way about fixing there mac if it plays up....

You see my modem keeps disconnecting me from the net all of the time.....some times reseting the p-ram helps....i wanted to know if doing this would fix it more than the p-ram reset.

Frank_t

[ 10-22-2002: Message edited by: frank_t ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Resetting your nvram won't hurt anything. I can't answer whether it will fix your problem or not until you try it... I don't know what's causing your problem.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    How does the modem thing have anything to do with the firmware on your computer? Maby I'm wrong, but when I had a dial-up modem, I tried a different phone number to connect to, and it started working again.