Log on to Windows 2000 Professional network using Mac?!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hope someone can help here...

I have a user account to access Windows 2000 Professional at the hospital where I work using the various PC stations. However, I'm wondering if it's possible to plug my powerbook in at one of the sockets and be able to log in that way so I can download stuff straight to my Mac at a decent speed? Is it remotely possible? Could I acquire a given station's IP address etc and pretend to be that computer using my Mac?

Help much appreciated... using 10.1.5.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    one, it is possible, but it depends on some things. i dont know too much about hospital infrastructures, but its pretty likely they use dhcp for the setting up comps with internet addresses. so, you should be able to just plug in the mac just like you would a peecee, and (after resetting the inet settings, easiest way to do that is with a restart) then u should be golden. it may take some extra work to access network drives nad things, but at that point u should have the internet as well as any other computer. if it doesnt work initially, u can try going into the network panel of the System Preferences, and making sure that ur network card (probably Built-in Ethernet) is set to get an ip via DHCP (in the TCP/IP tab).
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Thanks thuh Freak. Tried just using DHCP but didn't seem to work. Also, I've found a control panel on the PC's (Systems Management) which has the following information if it's any help:

SMS UNIQUE IDENTIFIER: long number

NetBIOS name: PC774

IP Addresses: 192.168.42.120

IP subnets: 192.168.40.0

IPX Addresses: nothing

IPX Network numbers: nothing

MAC addresses: 00:01:02:F1:39:E3

Resource Domain OR Workgroup: Hospital

Operating System Name and Version: Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 5.0

Last Logon Use Name: my username

Last Logon User Domain: HOSPITAL

Also, I've tried logging out and back in again, but all the numbers seem to stay the same, so I assume it's a static rather than dynamic IP address. What do I type in where on the Mac to get it to work?

Thanks

Grant