Apple no longer censoring word 'jailbreak' among iTunes Store content [u]

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday began censoring the world "jailbreak" among content in the iTunes Store, including the song "Jailbreak" by Irish rockers Thin Lizzy, though the issue was quickly addressed.

Users began noticing on Thursday that some uses of the word "jailbreak" have been censored among iTunes Store content. Strangely, however, some instances of the word remained readable.

For example, the album "Jailbreak" by Thin Lizzy, and the album's titular track both remained visible on iTunes. However, other instances of the song "Jailbreak" on compilation albums and soundtracks were been censored to read "J*******k."

Update: As of Thursday afternoon, the issue was addressed, and content on the iTunes Store once again displays the word "jailbreak" without censoring it. The change applies to music and applications.

Earlier, the word was also censored from other artists, such as a song with the same title from the band Gossip on their album "That's Not What I heard," and Sonic Syndicate's song from the album "Eden Fire."

Outside of the song by Thin Lizzy, or AC/DC's own "Jailbreak" song found on its third album (and not available on the iTunes Store), jailbreaking refers to the process of hacking iOS to allowed users to install custom software and tweaks without Apple's permission. Performing a jailbreak on an iPhone, iPad or iPad touch voids Apple's warranty for the devices.

Jailbreak

Through jailbreaking, hackers have created their own custom applications which are available from an alternative storefront known as Cydia, similar to Apple's official App Store for iOS. There are many free and paid applications available on Cydia that allow users to install custom tweaks, user interface themes and various other software that does not comply with Apple's iOS developer agreement.

Jailbreaking itself is not illegal, however, the process can be used to pirate software from the App Store, which is against the law. Concern over piracy is one of the main reasons Apple has fought the practice of jailbreaking.

In addition to music content, Apple's censoring of the word "jailbreak" also extends to officially approved software for iOS devices. For example, a two-dimensional platform shooter game in which players must escape from a prison is now listed in iTunes as "J*******k."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member

All I can say is WTF?!?!?

Update:  WTF USA, looks like its only censored/obscured in the US iTunes store.  Its fine in the UK.iTunes.png

• Reply 2 of 55
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member

Quote:

Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Or unintended consequences...  I wonder if Mr. Lizzy (?) has a case to sue.  I mean, everyone else is.

• Reply 3 of 55
    enjournienjourni Posts: 254member

Probably a bug. They wanted to censor "jailbreak" from apps, but ended up censoring it everywhere.

• Reply 4 of 55
    Apple hasn't "censored" anything. In the US, only congress is prohibited from censoring content. What Apple has done is make a business decision. Don't like it? Then we can choose not to shop there any longer. But please do not use the inaccurate, emotional, "They're CENSORING us!" - it is in no manner a form of censorship.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member

Congratulations, Apple, on your dick move. 

• Reply 6 of 55
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post

Apple hasn't "censored" anything. In the US, only congress is prohibited from censoring content. What Apple has done is make a business decision. Don't like it? Then we can choose not to shop there any longer. But please do not use the inaccurate, emotional, "They're CENSORING us!" - it is in no manner a form of censorship.

Correct. Ish. the whole 1st Amendment is only against governments, but businesses can however censor. And perhaps Apple has. Or a computer program accidentally blanked those instances which are already disappearing as some store rep is going through the instance log and correcting the bad items. Which is why when I just ran said search the Thin Lizzy album pages were fine. 

That said, hyperbolic headlines etc are the meat of blog posting so I'm not shocked that every freaking site is posting the same info without really stopping to think about what was or might be going on. 

• Reply 7 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

Congratulations, Apple, on your dick move. 

Bet you're not going to buy any Apple products anymore, are you? :wink:

Quote:

Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Probably a bug. They wanted to censor "jailbreak" from apps, but ended up censoring it everywhere.

This sounds like the most logical explanation.

• Reply 8 of 55

Quote:

That is an incredibly stupid statement.  This is nothing BUT censorship.  Whether it's a business decision has nothing to do with whether this falls into the category of censorship, which it does.

This is equivalent to a child thinking he's invisible when his eyes are covered.  Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't happening.  You're better than this Apple!

• Reply 9 of 55
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Incorrect. 'Censor' has multiple meanings. Try dictionary.com and look up 'censor'. The first definition fits your statement because it applies to 'an official'. However, the second and later definitions can apply to anyone - so businesses can censor.

This is a bizarre situation. I can't imagine why Apple would eliminate 'jailbreak' at all, and especially from songs which have nothing to do with iOS.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    That is an incredibly stupid statement.  This is nothing BUT censorship.  Whether it's a business decision has nothing to do with whether this falls into the category of censorship, which it does.

This is equivalent to a child thinking he's invisible when his eyes are covered.  Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't happening.  You're better than this Apple!

My bet, like others here, is is was an error and will be fixed by the time those freaking out are still unknotting their knickers. I am sure Apple had no intention of blocking the term in song titles etc. if anyone truly thinks that then I have a bridge to sell them.

Update: Nice to proven right so quickly.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    eltroyoeltroyo Posts: 4member

Quote:

Actually that is not correct.

Censorship is the suppression of speech or other public communication which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or inconvenient as determined by a government, media outlet, or other controlling body. It can be done by governments and private organizations or by individuals who engage in self-censorship. It occurs in a variety of different contexts including speech, books, music, films and other arts, the press, radio, television, and the Internet for a variety of reasons 

• Reply 12 of 55
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has begun censoring the world "jailbreak" among content in the iTunes Store...

A perfectly reasonable and understandable thing to do IMO.  

And as always, Apple Insider must be reminded yet again that jail breaking is *not* in fact "legal," but merely legal if one's *intent* is similarly so.  It's not really that fine a distinction and it makes a huge difference.  In fact it reveals the majority of jailbreaks and jail-breakers are technically, criminals (based on surveys of the actual reasons people say they jailbreak and the high percentages of stolen apps and services). Instead of lamely repeating the blanket assurance that they are all just like the rest of us and implying that the practice is perfectly okay, you could do the developers and the investors in the iOS economy the favour of reporting the truth.  

Promotion of jail breaking also does a dis-service to the average user who after being tempted into jail breaking, more often than not finds that it has ruined their iOS device and experience and is neither as easy nor as straightforward as they expected. Not to mention those who's security is compromised by the very criminal elements associated with jailbreak sites and who are promoting the use of jailbreaks.  Not everyone is a technical genius, and encouraging the average person to go looking for a jailbreak is tantamount to telling a ten year old that smoking is cool and that they are pretty easy to get down at the local corner store.  

I'm not saying it should be censored, (nothing should be censored), but when you talk about it, it's the reporters responsibility to mention the facts, the positive and the negative and to not misrepresent the truth. I'm not sure why this is endlessly, repeatedly, falsely, reported other than the fact that it isn't "cool" to be against jailbreaking.  

/rant

• Reply 13 of 55
    rufworkrufwork Posts: 130member

Quote:

Originally Posted by eltroyo View Post

Actually that is not correct.

Censorship is the suppression of speech or other public communication which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or inconvenient as determined by a government, media outlet, or other controlling body. It can be done by governments and private organizations or by individuals who engage in self-censorship. It occurs in a variety of different contexts including speech, books, music, films and other arts, the press, radio, television, and the Internet for a variety of reasons 

Here, Apple is abusing their monopoly power in online music by censoring valid, non-offensive song track titles!  Down with Apple!  Sue!

(We kid because we love.  Honestly, this is most interesting from a programming standpoint -- obviously they have a system-wide method for removing a list of key objectionable words, and now jailbreak is up there with ****, ****, *************, etc image)

• Reply 14 of 55
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

My hope is that this is a proactive move to reduce the size of the jailbreak community prior to the release of Gatekeeper for iOS.

I see a large amount of media (apps, podcasts, songs) which have been censored and a small amount which has not been censored.  The word "jailbreak" is even censored in app descriptions.  Interesting.

I think it will be interesting to see how the jailbreaking community reacts.  Start referring to jailbreaking as prison breaking?

• Reply 15 of 55
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Update:  WTF USA, looks like its only censored/obscured in the US iTunes store.  Its fine in the UK.

Perhaps Apple wants to lead the way in the use of proper English, in which case the correct term is "Gaol break".

• Reply 16 of 55
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    I went on iTunes (US Store) to confirm this 'story' and found no such evidence; anything with the word jailbreak shows up just fine including the ones that were cited in the article. Maybe Apple fixed it already or perhaps the link bait potential of this 'story' was too good to pass up.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Kind of a bonehead move, but then, this forum's software censors one competing site's URL. It's pretty absurd. I assume this is a mistake, but this is needlessly haphazard. Jail Break isn't censored, and I've found a few songs and an album called Jailbreak that aren't censored while most others are, including two TV episodes with censored titles. Podcasts are treated the same way, but it's a little more plausible, but it's still pretty contrived to do this.

And Apple's store seems to still be offering an app that claims to jail break iOS devices, but the app I checked appears to be useless.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    sierrajeffsierrajeff Posts: 366member

Really dumb.  Anyone who knows how to jailbreak and/or seriously wants to isn't going to think "I know, I'll do a search on iTunes for 'jailbreak'."

Meanwhile, censoring in general just makes Apple look bad - provides more evidence for the negatives who say Apple's forgetting it's core values and turning into another 500 pound gorilla.  And implementing it in such a ham-handed fashion that catches song titles and other 'innocent' uses doubles the idiocy.

• Reply 19 of 55
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

I went on iTunes (US Store) to confirm this 'story' and found no such evidence; anything with the word jailbreak shows up just fine including the ones that were cited in the article. Maybe Apple fixed it already or perhaps the link bait potential of this 'story' was too good to pass up.

Just type Jailbreak in the iTunes search box on the US iTunes store and you will see the following:

iTunes-1.png

• Reply 20 of 55
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member

I'm glad they did this. Apple is taking steps to protect their consumers from the underground community. Like others, I also don't believe this is real censorship.