New Airport?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014


Should I upgrade to the current Airport Extreme or wait for 802.11ac?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member


    If you need it, buy it.




    If not, wait. 802.11ac will be great. I'd personally love them to redesign the AirPort family with a LiquidMetal case, but that's just a fantasy of mine.


     


    They ARE, however, the last products that still use plastic…

  • Reply 2 of 19
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member


    Does Apple make money with their Airport Extreme routers? With so many better units at much better prices I'm still amazed it's even still on the market.


     


    These are a few models that wipe the floor with the Airport Extreme.


     


    The Netgear RangeMax 240


     


    D-Link DGL-4300 GamerLounge Wireless 108G Gaming Router


     


    Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX200 WRT54GX2


     


    You will ever hardly see the Airport Extreme anywhere near the top of list for routers,


     


    At $180 Apples router is a bust, you will be better served going with any of the top 3 that are much less and offer better features. I understand it's nice owning something that has that pretty Apple symbol on it but in this case it is not better,

  • Reply 3 of 19
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member


    The last thing you want is any wireless devise made out of metal. Yes that includes notebooks, though I love the Macbooks dearly the wireless range is not ideal.

  • Reply 4 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Relic View Post


    The last thing you want is any wireless devise made out of metal. 



     


    Which is why I said LiquidMetal.

  • Reply 5 of 19
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,860member
    Which is why I said LiquidMetal.

    So how does that make a difference?

    Beyond that it is more difficult to get world wide approvals with metal cases. Especially in the case of devices with built in power supplies.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Relic View Post


    Does Apple make money with their Airport Extreme routers? With so many better units at much better prices I'm still amazed it's even still on the market.


     


    ...



     


    I want what you are smoking. I have never before bought an Apple router, but my next router will be an Airport Extreme or whatever Apple offers to replace the Airport Extreme. My first router was a Siemens. All subsequent routers have been [Cisco] Linksys. My current router is a Cisco LInksys E3000. I don't buy junk. The E3000 set me back US$169.00, roughly the same price as an extant Airport Extreme. After I purchased the LInksys E3000, I learned that it was not necessary to replace a router every 18 months. Apple Airports, I learned, are anvils. They last forever. As the buyer and owner of several not cheap Linksys routers, I can attest without fear of contradiction that they are not anvils.


     


    I had avoided Airports in the past because they had only 3 LAN ports whereas Linksys routers had 4 LAN ports. My next router will be an Airport with a hub or switch to compensate for the reduced number of LAN ports.

  • Reply 7 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

    So how does that make a difference?


     


    LiquidMetal is radio transparent. Different alloys are transparent to different frequencies. It can be assumed that a LiquidMetal redesign of the AirPort family would include the appropriate one.


     


    Quote:


    Beyond that it is more difficult to get world wide approvals with metal cases. Especially in the case of devices with built in power supplies.



     


    Apple doesn't seem to mind that.


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

    Apple Airports, I learned, are anvils. They last forever.


     


    Indeed. We're actually still using a saucer 802.11g Extreme here at home. It chugs along like the day out of the box ('course, I have to keep the old version of AirPort Utility to manage it…). I recently bought the current Extreme n model (the one that got a model number change for a reason none of us have figured out yet), but have yet to set it up because I want to run a phone jack closer to the center of our computing circle than the one I'm using right now, and I also don't want to put the new Base Station in as dusty an environment as we have the old one. Purely for "keeping it nice" purposes.


     


    Yes, that's a rather silly reason, I admit. There are other circumstances at play, though. image

  • Reply 8 of 19
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,273member


    I've got a Time Capsule 2GB. 


     


    I realize that It's not the fastest but man is it reliable.  I never have to reboot it.  It appears all of the current Router leaders are using the Ralink 


    processors.  Apple is still using the Marvell "Kirkwood" processor which is getting up their in age.  They did modify the radio inside moving to more 


    powerful Broadcom parts but the Marvell chip is what's holding back throughput. 


     


    The question is  "Does Apple move over to Ralink for the nextgen processor or do the design their own processor?" 

  • Reply 9 of 19


    They most certainly will come out with a new airport. Apple's latest strategy is synergy with all their products (airplay, connectivity, etc). To make that all happen the airport is the most essential piece. Also keep in mind the rumored apple tv, in order to prepare for all the future bandwidth req. they will need 802.11ac. I just wish the IEEE wasn't so extremely slow releasing better standards.  

  • Reply 10 of 19


    We have an office of about 30 folks plus big groups of visitors for meetings.  I have 2 Airport Extremes to cover wireless.  They are one of the least problematic devices I've seen.  I've not had a single problem out of them for years.  In fact I kind of forget about them till an update comes out.

  • Reply 11 of 19
    elderlocelderloc Posts: 146member
    The only issue I have ever had with my Apple Airport is with FTP redirection. My cable provider doesn't allow port 21, and for some reason I could never get it to redirect the port properly so I had to replace it with a Cisco 4200v2 I believe mine was the draft N version one or two back so that could have very well have been addressed later on. If they release a 802.11AC I will get one though. Even though I'm very deep into IT at the most senior level in one of the biggest IT firms I really like the simplicity after fighting with configurations in datacenter and design it's nice just to have things work at the dumb down level so I don't have to play with crap on my off days.
  • Reply 12 of 19


    In for 802.11ad =p

  • Reply 13 of 19
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post


     


    I want what you are smoking. I have never before bought an Apple router, but my next router will be an Airport Extreme or whatever Apple offers to replace the Airport Extreme. My first router was a Siemens. All subsequent routers have been [Cisco] Linksys. My current router is a Cisco LInksys E3000. I don't buy junk. The E3000 set me back US$169.00, roughly the same price as an extant Airport Extreme. After I purchased the LInksys E3000, I learned that it was not necessary to replace a router every 18 months. Apple Airports, I learned, are anvils. They last forever. As the buyer and owner of several not cheap Linksys routers, I can attest without fear of contradiction that they are not anvils.


     


    I had avoided Airports in the past because they had only 3 LAN ports whereas Linksys routers had 4 LAN ports. My next router will be an Airport with a hub or switch to compensate for the reduced number of LAN ports.



     


    Well then enjoy, it looks like you've made up your mind. Stay away from the newest firmware though, It's not very good.


     


    If you have sales figures though I would love to see them. Apple charges a real pretty penny for a product that is not very competitive in that price range. $180 is a lot of money for a router nowadays. Especially when you can get a Linksys E4200 for the same price, with a 3 year warranty.

  • Reply 14 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

    Stay away from the newest firmware though, It's not very good.


     


    In what regard?

  • Reply 15 of 19


    If I were you I would wait for the 802.11ac

  • Reply 16 of 19
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AandcMedia View Post


    They most certainly will come out with a new airport. Apple's latest strategy is synergy with all their products (airplay, connectivity, etc). To make that all happen the airport is the most essential piece. Also keep in mind the rumored apple tv, in order to prepare for all the future bandwidth req. they will need 802.11ac. 



    Along with the above, it is possible that the next generation of Airports and Time Capsules might include a Thunderbolt port.


     
  • Reply 17 of 19
    26chrisr26chrisr Posts: 12member


    I've got both the latest Airport Extreme and a top-end NetGear router - for ease of use, the Apple is best, for Pro-Users/Business, I'd suggest Linksys or Netgear.


     


    Both my present units have run flawlessly since installation in August last year and I still have an old Airport Express on hand should anything go wrong.

  • Reply 18 of 19
    curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 483member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post


     


    I want what you are smoking. I have never before bought an Apple router, but my next router will be an Airport Extreme or whatever Apple offers to replace the Airport Extreme. My first router was a Siemens. All subsequent routers have been [Cisco] Linksys. My current router is a Cisco LInksys E3000. I don't buy junk. The E3000 set me back US$169.00, roughly the same price as an extant Airport Extreme. After I purchased the LInksys E3000, I learned that it was not necessary to replace a router every 18 months. Apple Airports, I learned, are anvils. They last forever. As the buyer and owner of several not cheap Linksys routers, I can attest without fear of contradiction that they are not anvils.


     


    I had avoided Airports in the past because they had only 3 LAN ports whereas Linksys routers had 4 LAN ports. My next router will be an Airport with a hub or switch to compensate for the reduced number of LAN ports.



     


    And that brings up my question...  why doesn't anybody build routers with a decent number of LAN ports?   I want a minimum of 8.   I guess it's form over function.  Gotta keep that small rectangular box.   No room for more ports.   Sad.

  • Reply 19 of 19
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post


     


    And that brings up my question...  why doesn't anybody build routers with a decent number of LAN ports?   I want a minimum of 8.   I guess it's form over function.  Gotta keep that small rectangular box.   No room for more ports.   Sad.



    Many routers are very cheap, so cost could be an issue if you're looking for a board with 8 real ports as opposed to 4 over subscribed ports. You should be able to find such a thing within commercial grade products, but that would be expensive.

Sign In or Register to comment.