Recommendation for two Safari Extensions (or other mods for Safari)

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

As SAFT seems to be long dead there are two functions I use that I'm looking to get recommendations on replacements. Unfortunately I'm not seeing things like this in the Safari Extensions, so I'm hoping that people can recommend something.

A) *RELIABLY* preserve all of the tabs/windows across crashes/quits/etc. SAFT did this quite well. Is there another 3rd party product that will do this?

B) Not just dump downloads into the downloads folder, but by subfolder. SAFT did this by automatically creating a sub-folder with the date on it (which actually makes some sense, as typically downloads that are temporally related are usually related in other fashions).

Any one have any suggestions for either of these two things?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tehgeo View Post

A) *RELIABLY* preserve all of the tabs/windows across crashes/quits/etc. SAFT did this quite well. Is there another 3rd party product that will do this?

Lion.

Quote:

B) Not just dump downloads into the downloads folder, but by subfolder. SAFT did this by automatically creating a sub-folder with the date on it (which actually makes some sense, as typically downloads that are temporally related are usually related in other fashions).

I'll take a look, just a sec.

Looks like this might do what you want, just turn off everything else.

• Reply 2 of 5
    tehgeotehgeo Posts: 10member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Lion.

I said *reliably*.  :P  I've actually seen cases where Safari Lion doesn't reopen the previous windows/tabs.

But thanks for the recommendation.

Looks like SafariStand used to save window/tab state, but I've found another program: Sessions, which claims to. I'll try both on a test machine later this week.

• Reply 3 of 5
    bizzlebizzle Posts: 66member

if it fails to reopen the tabs that's easily solved by History > Reopen all windows from last session.

• Reply 4 of 5
    tehgeotehgeo Posts: 10member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizzle View Post

if it fails to reopen the tabs that's easily solved by History > Reopen all windows from last session.

Thank you.

I don't do as much surfing on my Lion machines, (For the time being, the main machine must stay Rosetta-friendly, so Lion will have to wait.) but I have noticed that (IIRC) if the close process is interrupted (eg, dialog box being thrown up), then safari on lion "forgets" the windows it has already closed and only "remembers" the remaining windows/tabs. I'll have to test this reopen from last session.

Any feedback on how well it responds to crashes? Do tabs/windows get recorded even if program does not exit gracefully? I just tried a Force Quit on Lion Safari (arguably not exactly the same thing as a crash of the app) and it failed to remember the open windows.

So this raises the question as when the open win/tab info gets written. Most likely at a graceful exit (and other events such as a system sleep. Or maybe a snapshot is taken at intervals? I don't know). And if something interrupts the app before it has a chance to write out the info, then it is lost. (Again: Saft did a very good job at this and only might loose the most recent item, but retains everything else) 

• Reply 5 of 5
    bizzlebizzle Posts: 66member

I've experienced a few crashes and occasionally it has been unable to recover. More often than that, however, it will recover to sometime prior to the crash. I haven't figured out any specific pattern yet but that command sequence is better than nothing. I prefer the occasional loss of tabs to running an extension all the time since I prefer to limit my use of extensions as much as possible. Before this was all added in to Safari I used Safari Restore: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/34144/safarirestore  apologies for not mentioning it before but I had forgotten the name. I used one other extension that behaved similarly but I can't remember the name, either. One or the other of these two extensions wasn't working so well with the latest Safari in Lion. But as I wrote, the limited usefulness of it (because it's only necessary perhaps a few times per week or month) compared to running sans extension and relying on the inbuilt functionality means I haven't given it much thought since Safari 5.1 (well I was using webkit) and now certainly in 5.2