iBook CD drive question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Now I figured since my cd drive in my iBook will no longer stay shut (it's taped currently) I might as well replace it. What I was thinking was I can buy a replacement from ebay or off a parts reseller for $72. Would it be possible to upgrade to a dvd drive or maybe a cd-rw drive? Do they connect in the same manner with the same plugs inside? I have an indigo iBook (366). Any help would be great along with those lovely Apple PDFs that show how to take apart computers

Thanks,

A@ron

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yikes. this would be an interesting hack. not sure if it's been done before, but if it has you'll want to go to <a href="http://www.xlr8yourmac.com"; target="_blank">www.xlr8yourmac.com</a>

those guys have links to about every known hardware hack done to a mac in history. if it's been done, they'll have a record of it there.

-alcimedes
  • Reply 2 of 5
    daveleedavelee Posts: 245member
    I have some of those PDFs.

I'll have a look through them and send you one if you're lucky...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    Nope nothing I could find on XLR8... am I the only 2000 iBook user who didn't get the cd-rw or dvd drive and now wants to upgrade? Its just a shame its not a cube there are always a lot of cube upgrades floating around. I'll keep looking and if I find anything I will post it I suppose.

A@ron

[edit] found this link too bad its the current 2001-2002 iBook. <a href="http://www.yourmaui.com/ibook.html"; target="_blank">iBook drive upgrade</a>[/edit]

[ 10-25-2002: Message edited by: A@ron ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 5
    daveleedavelee Posts: 245member
    OK, I had a look through the PDFs. The older iBook doesn't seem to have a take-apart section (weird).

Sorry.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    [quote]Originally posted by DaveLee:

<strong>OK, I had a look through the PDFs. The older iBook doesn't seem to have a take-apart section (weird).

Sorry.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Might be because Apple won't even let authorized repair people who normally work on towers and other Apple computers work on iBooks. I've taken it apart before and didn't manage to void my Applecare (or at least they couldn't tell I did) so maybe I can do it again.

Thanks Anyhow,

A@ron

P.S. eh the thing is 2 years old anyways maybe time for a new one.