Samsung Galaxy S III launches in Europe to take on Apple's iPhone 4S

Comments

• Reply 41 of 85
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    roos24 wrote: »
    It looks like Samsung is starting the old specs game again, and unfortunately, people are sensitive for that. I remember well when in the '90's Apple used PowerPC chips with much lower frequencies than most PCs with Intel chips, yet the Apple computers were as powerful as the PCs.

I remember the 80's where everyone said Apple screens are small. Then other companies slowly started to state their VIS instead of the meaningless 'screen diagonal'
    thilo wrote: »
    Referring to something like this, I suppose: http://www.natureandmore.com/products/apple

Thanks for the link; blackberries is also interesting, albeit a bit short:
    http://www.natureandmore.com/products/blackberry
    drdoppio wrote: »
    Improved specifications are most welcome. I am sure that the next iPhone will have a faster CPU and more memory as well.

Even analysts are sure it will be released later this year¡
  • Reply 42 of 85
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

All I can say is... keep watching.

I will but not with baited breath because I have een disappointed too many times the last few years with minor updates.  I hope you are right, I really do. But it better be something a lot better than Apple maps, a new dock connector, Siri out of beta, and a 4" screen. It would have to be something completely new that no other phone offers in any way shape or form. If you have an idea what that might be, by all means share your prognostication. But in any case, the only money Apple will get out of me in 2012 is if they release a new Macpro. 

• Reply 43 of 85
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

…disappointed too many times the last few years with minor updates.

Enlighten us on how the iPhone 4S was a "minor update".

• Reply 44 of 85
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Forget the 4S... how was the 4 a minor update.

• Reply 45 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post [a bunch more stuff not pertinent to the central argument...] But since you mentioned Nokia, you made my point. Besides being blue, is it really that different from an iPhone or Android phone? It is thin and rectangular. 5 years ago it was extremely easy to tell phones apart. You still can today, but once they are in a case which most are, it gets a lot more difficult if the screens are similar in size and you can't see the OS it is running.

freelumia900.jpg

Besides the fact that you keep putting too much filler into your central argument...

From the above comment I can see that you are design challenged.

No. use. continuing.

• Reply 46 of 85

Quote:

Besides the fact that you keep putting too much filler into your central argument...

From the above comment I can see that you are design challenged.

No. use. continuing.

All you can say is "wait and see". You haven't offered one prediction as to what the next iPhone will include that will set it as far apart as the original iPhone did in regards to competing phones. And tallest Skil, aren't you the same guy that said he would use his original 2007 iPhone if Apple went with a 4" screen? Do you even use a current generation iPhone? Why do people get so offended and take things so personally when someone has a differing view. I am design challenged because I feel phones look more similar today than they did in 2007? And yeah, the 4 and 4S were incremental updates to me. The 4 was certainly a bigger update that the 4S, but there was nothing really revolutionary to me at least. Maybe you are more easily impressed? I don't know, but I do know I am not alone and many other people were hoping for much more. 

Only my opinion, but I think the differences between the Galaxy SIII with ICS and the original Galaxy with Android 2.x are far more striking than the 3GS to 4S. 

• Reply 47 of 85
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

And tallest Skil, aren't you the same guy that said he would use his original 2007 iPhone if Apple went with a 4" screen?

Out of ease, yes. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to getting a 4S, but I have the first-gen already.

Quote:

Do you even use a current generation iPhone?

No, of course not. I can't afford a data plan, and I've no intention of ever having one when I don't need it at all.

Quote:

I am design challenged because I feel phones look more similar today than they did in 2007?

I don't believe anyone's saying that. It's certainly the truth!

Quote:

And yeah, the 4 and 4S were incremental updates to me. The 4 was certainly a bigger update that the 4S… …many other people were hoping for much more. 

Do tell. What "more" were "other people" wanting? 

• Reply 48 of 85

Quote:

All you can say is "wait and see". You haven't offered one prediction as to what the next iPhone will include that will set it as far apart as the original iPhone did in regards to competing phones. And tallest Skil, aren't you the same guy that said he would use his original 2007 iPhone if Apple went with a 4" screen? Do you even use a current generation iPhone? Why do people get so offended and take things so personally when someone has a differing view. I am design challenged because I feel phones look more similar today than they did in 2007? And yeah, the 4 and 4S were incremental updates to me. The 4 was certainly a bigger update that the 4S, but there was nothing really revolutionary to me at least. Maybe you are more easily impressed? I don't know, but I do know I am not alone and many other people were hoping for much more. 

Only my opinion, but I think the differences between the Galaxy SIII with ICS and the original Galaxy with Android 2.x are far more striking than the 3GS to 4S. 

Personally??!! Why do people pull out this "personally" crap when they themselves are in the argument?!

Look, you are the one that said that the Nokia phones basically look the same as the other phones. That is enough evidence to show that you are design challenged. It may be your opinion, and, of course, you are entitled to it, but it does show that you are design challenged. To me your statement sounds like this, "I don't see the big difference between the 1965 Chevrolet Malibu and the 1965 Ford Mustang... they both have 4 wheels, a body and a steering wheel." Just saying...

One prediction... Apple is going to stick a 4" screen into one of the most striking bodies seen in mobile phones... I'll know it's special... sadly, you most likely will not.

• Reply 49 of 85
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    If Apple was to claim they have 20million preorders for the 6th generation iPhone you would believe it in a heartbeat. Why is it so hard to believe samsung can have a successful product or rather why is it that apple is the only company that can have a successful product. This idea that only apple can be good and all other companies that compete with them are liars con-artiest, evil and should be shut down. Apple is not the only good company and there is plenty of room for more then one successful company.

Who says I don't believe published numbers from Samsung? I am just very careful to make sure I understand what they say - since Samsung has a history of presenting misleading numbers.

From the article : the Galaxy S II, which reached 20 million sales worldwide. They do publish the numbers.

And, yet, they never publish the actual numbers in any details. Once in a while, they'll make an announcement when they hit a milestone, but they don't regularly publish numbers.

Furthermore, you have to read the statements carefully. They claimed:
    "We are thrilled that 20 million customers around the world [have] enjoyed the smart life Galaxy S II has brought us"

Note that it doesn't say that they sold 20 M SII phones. If I buy a phone and share it with my wife, is that 2 customers who have enjoyed the phone? Furthermore, what does it mean to 'enjoy the smart life Galaxy SII has brought us'? It sure doesn't say that they sold 20 M of the phones.
    The S III had 9 million preorders from carriers, at least according to several sources.

And that's exactly the point I was making. It's a meaningless figure for a number of reasons:
    1. 'Preorders' can be canceled. if the carrier said "send me 1 M phones for each of the next 9 quarters, but I'm going to cancel the order if sales don't catch on', that would be 9 M preorders but would be meaningless.
    2. It doesn't give the timeline. Apple sold something like 20 M iPhones to a single customer alone in a single order (Sprint). Of course, that's spread out over 4 or 5 years, but that's a single order that is more than twice the TOTAL preorders for the S III.

Overall, there's still nothing that suggests that the S III is anything near the success of the iPhone.
  • Reply 50 of 85
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post

From the article : the Galaxy S II, which reached 20 million sales worldwide. They do publish the numbers.

The S III had 9 million preorders from carriers, at least according to several sources.

You guys are laughable. Buried within the link within the link within your link is the following statement from Samsung: "Samsung Electronics today announced that the Samsung GALAXY S II (Model: GT-I9100) has achieved 20 million global channel sales in 10 months since its debut in April 2011."

Let's see if you can figure it out!imageimage

• Reply 51 of 85

Quote:

Personally??!! Why do people pull out this "personally" crap when they themselves are in the argument?!

Look, you are the one that said that the Nokia phones basically look the same as the other phones. That is enough evidence to show that you are design challenged. It may be your opinion, and, of course, you are entitled to it, but it does show that you are design challenged. To me your statement sounds like this, "I don't see the big difference between the 1965 Chevrolet Malibu and the 1965 Ford Mustang... they both have 4 wheels, a body and a steering wheel." Just saying...

One prediction... Apple is going to stick a 4" screen into one of the most striking bodies seen in mobile phones... I'll know it's special... sadly, you most likely will not.

Interesting that you should bring up old cars. It used to be very easy just from a quick glance to tell the make, model, and even year for many older cars. Nowadays it is a lot harder to tell from a glance. Even the rear of a Mercedes looks somewhat similar to a Toyota. I love the way you glossed over the point I said that the Lumia in a black CASE was really not that different in shape or size than a iPhone sitting on a table with the screen off. Obviously Apple agrees with me that other phones look pretty similar or they would be suing them now would they? Granted, the Nokia Lumia looks far different than many Android phones which is why I never mentioned Nokia in the first place, you did. The only point I was trying to make that seems to have alluded you is that although as design challenged as I apparently am, I can tell the difference between a Lumia and an iPhone. However, put them both in black cases and their differences are far more insignificant in 2012 vs. Nokia or any other phones in 2007. There are still differences, but you have to look a lot harder to notice from a distance and in a case. 

And as to your 4" screen in a striking body, wow hardly revolutionary. Most people use a case so what does it matter what the design looks like when it is enclosed in a case and 4" is so 2009. Anyone that buys a phone based on the looks alone is also pretty superficial. I never considered my iPhone 4S a status symbol or really cared about how it looks, obviously that is important to you. I am more concerned with iOS improvements, better camera, better speaker, gorilla glass 2, and other things that actually make using the phone a better experience since I don't often find myself staring at my phone mesmerized by the awesome design. 

• Reply 52 of 85

Quote:

Interesting that you should bring up old cars. It used to be very easy just from a quick glance to tell the make, model, and even year for many older cars. Nowadays it is a lot harder to tell from a glance. Even the rear of a Mercedes looks somewhat similar to a Toyota. I love the way you glossed over the point I said that the Lumia in a black CASE was really not that different in shape or size than a iPhone sitting on a table with the screen off. Obviously Apple agrees with me that other phones look pretty similar or they would be suing them now would they? Granted, the Nokia Lumia looks far different than many Android phones which is why I never mentioned Nokia in the first place, you did. The only point I was trying to make that seems to have alluded you is that although as design challenged as I apparently am, I can tell the difference between a Lumia and an iPhone. However, put them both in black cases and their differences are far more insignificant in 2012 vs. Nokia or any other phones in 2007. There are still differences, but you have to look a lot harder to notice from a distance and in a case. 

And as to your 4" screen in a striking body, wow hardly revolutionary. Most people use a case so what does it matter what the design looks like when it is enclosed in a case and 4" is so 2009. Anyone that buys a phone based on the looks alone is also pretty superficial. I never considered my iPhone 4S a status symbol or really cared about how it looks, obviously that is important to you. I am more concerned with iOS improvements, better camera, better speaker, gorilla glass 2, and other things that actually make using the phone a better experience since I don't often find myself staring at my phone mesmerized by the awesome design. 

Har!

You are reaching.

Yes, that lawsuit that Apple launched against Nokia for copying the design of the iPhone is a bit of a drawback to my argument.

... and as far as making everything black and it all looks the same. Whoa...!!

Keep digging. You are sounding more and more like someone who is design challenged all the time.

You are still adding way too much filler to your central argument (ie. what the hell is up with this whole change the goalposts adding a case bullshit) but I'm used to people doing that when they haven't got a leg to stand on.

• Reply 53 of 85

Quote:

Har!

You are reaching.

Yes, that lawsuit that Apple launched against Nokia for copying the design of the iPhone is a bit of a drawback to my argument.

... and as far as making everything black and it all looks the same. Whoa...!!

Keep digging. You are sounding more and more like someone who is design challenged all the time.

You are still adding way too much filler to your central argument (ie. what the hell is up with this whole change the goalposts adding a case bullshit) but I'm used to people doing that when they haven't got a leg to stand on.

I wasn't aware of any Apple lawsuits against Nokia for design infringements. I know that Nokia sued Apple and won for some patents. I know that Apple is suing Samsung and HTC over design patents, and possibly a few more. But you can't have it both ways. You seem to argue that the iPhone is radically different from every other phone and I am design challenged since I fail to agree with you. Then also argue that others are ripping off Apple's design. Pick a side. Seems like you are logically challenged. Maybe all that straw you are piling on in your arguments is clouding your judgement. I know it is easier to defeat a straw man since you can formulate the errancies in their logic far more easily than answering what they actually said. 

• Reply 54 of 85

Quote:

I wasn't aware of any Apple lawsuits against Nokia for design infringements. I know that Nokia sued Apple and won for some patents. I know that Apple is suing Samsung and HTC over design patents, and possibly a few more. But you can't have it both ways. You seem to argue that the iPhone is radically different from every other phone and I am design challenged since I fail to agree with you. Then also argue that others are ripping off Apple's design. Pick a side. Seems like you are logically challenged. Maybe all that straw you are piling on in your arguments is clouding your judgement. I know it is easier to defeat a straw man since you can formulate the errancies in their logic far more easily than answering what they actually said. 

1. You are right. Apple has not sued Nokia for design infringement... which was my point.

2. I did not argue that the current iPhone is radically different from every other phone (but I could). Please show me where I said that. (an actual straw man argument on your part) I said that the original iPhone was a radical departure (and has kept that edge... refer to #4).

3. Please show me where I argued that others are ripping off Apple's designs. (another straw man argument on your part)

4. Yes, Apple is suing Samsung over design infringements. In my view Samsung, for previous phones (and the court's view so far), has taken the 1965 Mustang and added a different grill and changed the taillight lenses and called it a Samsung design. Thank you for enforcing the argument that Samsung's phones look no different than Apple's phones.

You're making this way too easy.

[ I had better remind you of your original argument, "In reality, how radically different can you design a phone? They are all going to be rectangular and have a screen." ]

• Reply 55 of 85
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    It looks like a nice phone but on closer inspection most of its shine disappears.
    The problem is that it's made of plastic and feels cheap by design, maybe that reflects the way it's builder looks at its clients, or the way buyers feel about themselves, but this wouldn't make an iPhone 4S owner switch. It also uses fake colors and still cannot match the iPhone 4S resolution, so again it's made for a less refined public.
    It's specs look impressive but show that the iPhone 4S GPU performance is about the same, and GPU performance is what makes your device run not the number of CPU cores.
    Other specs are comparable too, so this years iPhone will be a lot better even if you look at the specs.
    It's software has some nice tricks but most of its features are a shameless copy of Apples iOS: the copy of Siri is embarrassing to look at, but iOS is still a lot better integrated and not so 'hap snap'. iOS 6 will make the gap even wider.

J.
  • Reply 56 of 85
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

It's specs look impressive but show that the iPhone 4S GPU performance is about the same, and GPU performance is what makes your device run not the number of CPU cores.

Other specs are comparable too, so this years iPhone will be a lot better even if you look at the specs

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5810/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-performance-preview

• Reply 57 of 85
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

but this wouldn't make an iPhone 4S owner switch...

Why would anyone with a 6 month old phone want to switch anyway?

• Reply 58 of 85
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    gatorguy wrote: »

Yep, I've seen that, now look at the points I made.

J.
  • Reply 59 of 85

Damn people always say Samsung steals the design of Apple? How does the S3 look anywhere like the iPhone or iPod? WAKE UP PEOPLE!!

• Reply 60 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It IS.. same phone, minor updates to hardware and toss in Siri, LMAO. Can't be anymore minor than that!