Theories

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The recent leaks seem a bit off for Apple. They basically show a slightly thinner iPhone 4 shape with a 16:9 aspect ratio and an underwhelming case design. I'm not entirely convinced these are real since I'm expecting something more radical from Apple to stay competitive with companies like Samsung. So this leads me to a couple of theories which admittedly may be a bit out there:

First: this is a controlled leak from Apple, of a fake design. Tim Cook himself said Apple is 'doubling down' on secrecy, which I'd imagine would already be in place. Part of such a strategy could include deliberately fake leaks showing half-baked case designs. This could be one of them.

Second: this is one of many prototype designs being tested in the field and not the final. Apple has working plan B's and perhaps even C's when developing a product, and this could be one of the lesser designs.

Third: This is a case that houses a more radical redesign. I'd imagine that the front glass panel may be real (I do see the logic in a 16:9 iPhone) but the case itself is a cover for a thinner and more radical design.

We have little idea what kind of technologies Apple will be cramming into the new phone that would affect design, so speculating on the final look is taking vague, uneducated guesses at best. But if it were up to me, I'd agressivley push for a radically thin case, possibly with tapered instead of square edges.

But that's just me. I could be way off since this is just speculation in a vacuum.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Or maybe this is what it looks like and there doesn't need to be a brand new design every single year.

• Reply 2 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Or maybe this is what it looks like and there doesn't need to be a brand new design every single year.

Huh? This next iPhone will be released 2 1/2 years after the last full redesign. You make no sense.

• Reply 3 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeniThings View Post

Huh? This next iPhone will be released 2 1/2 years after the last full redesign. You make no sense.

The point being what? We need a freaking Venn diagram here… image

Everyone who hates the design is saying it's fake. Not everyone who's saying it's fake hates the design. Not everyone who likes the design is saying it's real.

How could this case "house a more radical redesign"? It's the case. Stuff goes in it. We're seeing bare parts. There's no smaller matryoshka iPhone inside.

Everything else you've said is pretty valid. 

• Reply 4 of 15

Quote:

The point being what? We need a freaking Venn diagram here… image

Huh? Again you're making no sense. Allow me to explain if this is getting too complicated for you:

- You said "maybe this is what it looks like and there doesn't need to be a brand new design every single year"

- That makes no sense because it's an argument based on the idea that the current iPhone design is a year old. You are wrong. The current iPhone design is 2 years old, and will be 2 1/2 years old when the next iPhone is released.

- Therefore a new design is warranted.

Understand? Good. Have a nice day.

• Reply 5 of 15

Quote:

- Therefore a new design is warranted.

Understand? Good. Have a nice day.

No. Not "understood". Why is a new design "warranted"? 

• Reply 6 of 15
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

The recent leaks seem a bit off for Apple. They basically show a slightly thinner iPhone 4 shape with a 16:9 aspect ratio and an underwhelming case design. I'm not entirely convinced these are real since I'm expecting something more radical from Apple to stay competitive with companies like Samsung...

I think you're off; it's only your personal opinion that the design is underwhelming, and without seeing the ready assembled product it's hard to tell that the components we saw don't fit into another beautiful example of industrial design.

I have to admit that this is the first iPhone that I actually like, in fact more so than other recent phones from other companies. 10/16 is the perfect aspect ratio, and 4-4.5' is the perfect screen size for me. If the phone is kept as wide as the 4/4S, and as thin or thinner, the slightly increased length wouldn't matter at all for handling, could even make it easier.

I see no problem with this design winning the hearts of many millions.

• Reply 7 of 15
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

I think you're off; it's only your personal opinion that the design is underwhelming, and without seeing the ready assembled product it's hard to tell that the components we saw don't fit into another beautiful example of industrial design.

I have to admit that this is the first iPhone that I actually like, in fact more so than other recent phones from other companies. 10/16 is the perfect aspect ratio, and 4-4.5' is the perfect screen size for me. If the phone is kept as wide as the 4/4S, and as thin or thinner, the slightly increased length wouldn't matter at all for handling, could even make it easier.

I see no problem with this design winning the hearts of many millions.

I'm not a fan of the tu-tone look, but as you say, it is not a finished product. If it ends up looking that way, I may end up wishing the case had gone unchanged.

• Reply 8 of 15

Quote:

No. Not "understood". Why is a new design "warranted"? 

Because without a redesign, the next iPhone will end its run with a 3 and a half year old design, which is suicide considering the competition. Look at the latest Samsung phones with their sleek cases and huge 16:9 screens, I know they're still basically iPhone rip-offs, but they're starting to make the relatively tiny, blocky, and non-widescreen 4S look a bit dated.

It's naive, and certainly a minority opinion, to think Apple won't redesign the next iPhone.

My opinion is that Apple would do well to design something radical.

• Reply 9 of 15

Quote:

Because without a redesign, the next iPhone will end its run with a 3 and a half year old design, which is suicide considering the competition.

Which explains, of course, why the iPhone 4S outsells every single Android phone on the market, as does the iPhone 4. Still. Two years later.

Quote:

Look at the latest Samsung phones with their sleek cases and huge 16:9 screens

They suck. What's your point? They're uninspired, worthless pieces of plastic with unusably huge screens in a stupid ratio. What good does 16:9 do anyone on a phone?

Quote:

It's naive, and certainly a minority opinion, to think Apple won't redesign the next iPhone.

Really? 'Cause it sure looks like that's not the case.

• Reply 10 of 15

Quote:

Which explains, of course, why the iPhone 4S outsells every single Android phone on the market, as does the iPhone 4. Still. Two years later.

They suck. What's your point? They're uninspired, worthless pieces of plastic with unusably huge screens in a stupid ratio. What good does 16:9 do anyone on a phone?

Really? 'Cause it sure looks like that's not the case.

Wow, blind fanboy alert. It's cultish people like you that give rational consumers who like Apple a bad name.

The Galaxy S3 is killing in pre-sales. It's very well reviewed, and had as an excellent screen. And yes Android 4.0 is a decent OS even if it is a shameless iOS rip-off. If Apple doesn't do a design update it'll get obliterated by the avalanche of continually redesigned Samsung tech. This is rational thinking. Not fanboy BS.

There's a lot that is speculation at this point, including my own theories, which are probably off base. But one thing is certain, there will be a completely redesigned iPhone this year. Only a naive fool would think otherwise.

• Reply 11 of 15

Quote:

If Apple doesn't do a design update it'll get obliterated by the avalanche of continually redesigned Samsung tech. This is rational thinking. 

Aside from the facts we have that disprove it, of course.

Quote:

But one thing is certain, there will be a completely redesigned iPhone this year. Only a naive fool would think otherwise.

Only a fool (or Tim Cook) would claim they know for certain what Apple is going to do.

You're not Tim Cook. image

• Reply 12 of 15

Quote:

Aside from the facts we have that disprove it, of course.

Only a fool (or Tim Cook) would claim they know for certain what Apple is going to do.

You're not Tim Cook. image

We'll see who's the fool come the 6th gen iPhone announcement. 

• Reply 13 of 15

Quote:

We'll see who's the fool come the 6th gen iPhone announcement. 

You sound like me years ago…

Lemme give you a tip: Everyone hates that. You'll alienate everyone, even those who share your opinions, by parading them around as fact, even if you're doing it to dispel the more psychotic rumors or hatemongering. 

• Reply 14 of 15

Quote:

You sound like me years ago…

Lemme give you a tip: Everyone hates that. You'll alienate everyone, even those who share your opinions, by parading them around as fact, even if you're doing it to dispel the more psychotic rumors or hatemongering. 

Whatever fanboy. I'm out of here.

• Reply 15 of 15
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Wow, blind fanboy alert. It's cultish people like you that give rational consumers who like Apple a bad name.

The Galaxy S3 is killing in pre-sales. It's very well reviewed, and had as an excellent screen. And yes Android 4.0 is a decent OS even if it is a shameless iOS rip-off. If Apple doesn't do a design update it'll get obliterated by the avalanche of continually redesigned Samsung tech. This is rational thinking. Not fanboy BS.

There's a lot that is speculation at this point, including my own theories, which are probably off base. But one thing is certain, there will be a completely redesigned iPhone this year. Only a naive fool would think otherwise.

ICS an iOS rip-off? HAHAHAHAHA! There are a couple of design elements in the earlier Android versions that were undeniably inspired by iOS -- and those are ones I don't particularly care about -- however to say ICS is an iOS rip-off is akin to claiming that van Gogh ripped off Wacker.

I do believe the iPhone needs an update -- but not a radical one as you seem to suggest.