iMovie help

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am trying to import still pictures into imovie. i have a Sony DSC-P7 Digital Camera. First, it Won't let me import directly from camera (original files). Second, it will let me import SOME files from iPhoto, but not all. I have tried to find out why some are able to be imported and some arn't to no avail. Third, I can import the thumbnails from iPhoto, but the will not fill the screen, and I want full screen.

Another Question:

Also trying to import the mpg movies off of my Camera.

I opened them into QT Pro and exported them into DV files. DV files opened in iMovie but with no sound. Also, when I open the files from my camera in QT Pro, I have no use of the edit menu (all grey, none usable).

Thanks in advance for your help,

Macaddict16

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    For your second question, I've heard of a program called Media Cleaner working to help with this. It has to do with not having the video and audio tracks "cleanly" cleaved.

Alex.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    First Question: iMovie doesn't understand digital photo formats. Export the pictures as JPEGs or Photoshop images and iMovie will happily make stills of them. Trust me, I've done it.

Second Question: a .mpg movie is a muxed file, meaning that the sound and video are compressed together, and the audio and video data are interwoven. To be able to extract them separately (which is what you need to to before exporting them to DV, which compresses audio and video independently), you'll need something like Cleaner to demux the tracks.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    jimdadjimdad Posts: 209member
    iMovie is strange when it comes to stills from digital cameras. Generally need to run it through something like graphic converter, save it as jpeg again and it should now load OK. You will also have to change its size so it fills whole screen. Resize image to 640x480 NTSC or 768x576 PAL.

Check out this link.

<a href="http://www.danslagle.com/mac/imovie/iMovieFAQ.html"; target="_blank">http://www.danslagle.com/mac/imovie/iMovieFAQ.html</a>;