How Important Is Memory Latency?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a feeling this may have been discussed before, but I can't seem to find the thread.

Looking at the memory on the Crucial website, the 512MB DIMMs have a latency of 3, the 256MB DIMMs a latency of 2. In practice, does the extra clock cycle of the 512MB DIMM make any noticeable difference to performance?

How can I determine the latency of the existing DIMMs in the machine? I have a feeling the system profiler used to show this, but in Jaguar it doesn't seem to. Is there a command that can be used from the command line?

Assuming only a couple of applications are being run, would they run faster on a machine with 512MB of memory (2 X 256MB, latency 2), or on a machine with 1024MB of memory (2 X 256MB, latency 2, 1 X 512MB, latency 3), or would the difference be negligible?

Manys thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 2 of 6
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    the only time it's really important is if you're running a server, or if you're planning on overclocking your bus speed.

if you're 99% of the market, it's not an issue.

for that 1%, it's worth the extra cost.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    123123 Posts: 278member
    [quote]Originally posted by RodUK:

<strong>I have a feeling this may have been discussed before, but I can't seem to find the thread.

Looking at the memory on the Crucial website, the 512MB DIMMs have a latency of 3, the 256MB DIMMs a latency of 2. In practice, does the extra clock cycle of the 512MB DIMM make any noticeable difference to performance?

How can I determine the latency of the existing DIMMs in the machine? I have a feeling the system profiler used to show this, but in Jaguar it doesn't seem to. Is there a command that can be used from the command line?

Assuming only a couple of applications are being run, would they run faster on a machine with 512MB of memory (2 X 256MB, latency 2), or on a machine with 1024MB of memory (2 X 256MB, latency 2, 1 X 512MB, latency 3), or would the difference be negligible?

Manys thanks in advance.</strong><hr></blockquote>

1) It makes quite a difference in case of a cache miss and RAM page hit. If you have a CL3 module this will take you (3+1+1+1)/bus frequency (best case) to read the cache line, a CL2 module will deliver the line in (2+1+1+1)/bus frequency. This means that the CPU has to wait 20% longer if you have a CL3 module installed. Keep in mind that the more doubles you read in sequence, the smaller the effect!

2) You should look at the x-y-z numbers instead of CLx numbers. Besides the latency you are referring to (CAS - column address strobe), there are often other latencies involved as well. For example if you have a RAM page miss (you haven't been reading from the same page before)....... you know what, if you're really interested, read something about it, here for example: <a href="http://speedtest.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MjM4"; target="_blank">http://speedtest.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MjM4</a>; (The DDR stuff isn't really up-to-date, there exist several 128bit implementations and pretty much every DDR board supports long (&gt;4) bursts.)

3) If you run certain memory intensive tasks (lots of "random" accesses) on your machine, you will definitely notice speed differences. Otherwise, you probably won't notice much.

4) Take Airsluf's comments with a grain of salt (CPU cycles have nothing to do with CL/CAS latency at all).

[ 10-28-2002: Message edited by: 123 ]

[ 10-28-2002: Message edited by: 123 ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Technologically it seems like memory latency speed issues should be nearly indistinguishable to us mere humans, but I swear that on every machine I have ever put in a 3-2-2 stick-o-RAM that starts with only 2-2-2 gets a noticeable snappiness hit. I have played with this on 3 or 4 different machines over the years - and I even went so far as to take back out a 3-2-2 stick-o-RAM because I didn't like that little, but to me noticeable, speed hit. Maybe I have the reflexes of the cat?

Try not to be confused by my geek-speak. It's a problem, I know.

Edit: to add more confusion.

[ 10-28-2002: Message edited by: The Pie Man ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 6
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 6 of 6
    123123 Posts: 278member
    [quote]Originally posted by AirSluf:

<strong>

You haven't by chance crossed your VM pages and cache lines have you? </strong><hr></blockquote>

No. page = the memory addressed by a given row. If you read from the same page again (already open), you only need to specify a new column, (tCAC). However, if you have a page miss, you must also activate a new row (+ precharge if another page is already open)