Quicken and Error Type 3

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Every time that I open Quicken, I get an error message that says "The application 'Quicken 2001 Deluxe' has unexpectedly quit, because an error of type 3 occurred. You should save your work in other open applications and restart the computer."

I am pretty sure that this has to do with a corrupt preferences file, because if I throw away the preferences file, then Quicken will open with no problems. But the next time I try I get the same error. It is as if the app is creating a bad preferences file. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the application, but that did nothing but waste some of my time. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    What operating system are you using? Are you running it in Classic Mode under OS X or are you using OS 9 or previous?

Do you use Quicken with the internet? Could it be looking for updates but the update server for Quicken 2001 is no longer active? That'll give it an error, but I don't know about crashing.

Try increasing the memory to the application. Maybe your database file has gotten too big for its britches.

Alex.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    OS9, no internet services, I'll try the memory, but I was under the impression that would be a Type 1 or 2...

[ 10-29-2002: Message edited by: Stroszek ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by Stroszek:

<strong>

OS9, no internet services, I'll try thr memory, but I was under the impression that would be a Type 1 or 2...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Increasing the memory allocated to the app didn't work ...