app access via the lock screen

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

When the home button is clicked, the slider and a camera icon appear allowing quick access to the camera. Why this imitation? Why not allow the user to add app icons to the lock screen for user defined quick access.

For example, when I want to use my iTouch as a calculator I have to (a) unlock the device, (b) open my utilities folder, (c) launch the app. Why not allow me to add the app to the lock screen for quick access? 

If I had this feature I would add my most used apps (ones for which I have no security concerns) like weather, clock, etc to the lock screen.

On that topic, if data sensitive apps are an issue, why not have them launch from the lock screen in view only mode (like Flipboard where settings cannot be changed but the app can be used). This would allow quick access while alleviating security concerns.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

It's your choice to put it in a folder.

Siri can open apps from anywhere, but you don't have that.

Try a jailbreak, maybe?

• Reply 2 of 5

don't believe in jailbreaks (because of fragmentation - do not want to be like Android), want Apple to provide the functionality

Siri not on iTouch yet so that's a no go

think you are missing the point - like camera function, the user should be able to decide which apps have quick access or not, allowing additions to lock screen achieves that

• Reply 3 of 5
    gcsullog wrote: »
    don't believe in jailbreaks (because of fragmentation…

WHAT fragmentation? You don't understand what that is.
    think you are missing the point - like camera function, the user should be able to decide which apps have quick access or not, allowing additions to lock screen achieves that

I'm getting the point exactly. Apple doesn't provide this, so you'll have to jailbreak if you want it.
  • Reply 4 of 5

hmm, seems you do not understand yet, I am saying it is something I feel Apple should provide (this would not be the only time Apple implemented something based on a user request). For me, jailbreaking is for the geeks, not for the mainstream population - e.g., the family that wants to be able to use the SAME stuff without having to do third party mumbo jumbo.

I certainly do understand what fragmentation is, I know that not all Apple devices can do the same thing or run the same version of iOS. That puts it well on the road to Android fragmentation. My daughter cannot run Messages on her iPhone 3GS because it was old enough to not be able to use iOS5, so I cannot use one of the best iOS and OSX features (for me) to "SMS" my kid - I have to use Skype for that (oh yeah, on the 3GS Skype performance is poor compared to Skype under iOS5 on my 4th gen. iTouch).

I feel that already on my 3 year old iMac that cannot use Dropbox. While this is fragmentation due to not supporting legacy hardware, it is fragmentation all the same.

If you do not like the term fragmentation as I use it, substitute "not all my family members can use their iOS and OSX devices the same way because of variations". I plan to go to Mountain Lion, my wife's Macbook will not support it. More variation (for me, fragmentation).

Don't want a flame war, just noting it would be nice to have the option of choosing which apps are accessible via the lock screen.

• Reply 5 of 5
    gcsullog wrote: »
    …I am saying it is something I feel Apple should provide (this would not be the only time Apple implemented something based on a user request). For me, jailbreaking is for the geeks, not for the mainstream population - e.g., the family that wants to be able to use the SAME stuff without having to do third party mumbo jumbo.

Yes. And yes! Exactly.
    I certainly do understand what fragmentation is, I know that not all Apple devices can do the same thing or run the same version of iOS. That puts it well on the road to Android fragmentation.

Exactly!
    My daughter cannot run Messages on her iPhone 3GS because it was old enough to not be able to use iOS5, so I cannot use one of the best iOS and OSX features (for me) to "SMS" my kid…

Messages (iMessage) works perfectly on the iPhone 3GS. The iPhone 3GS not only runs iOS 5, it runs iOS 6. I'm not sure what you mean here.
    If you do not like the term fragmentation as I use it, substitute "not all my family members can use their iOS and OSX devices the same way because of variations".

Yes, but that has nothing to do with jailbreaking. Jailbreaking does not in any way create fragmentation. If anything, jailbreaking REMOVES fragmentation, as it adds features to old devices formerly only on new ones.

I have an original iPhone sitting next to me right now. It has folders, Reminders, Newsstand, Springboard wallpapers, and many other iOS 5 features… thanks to its jailbreak, despite it only reporting that it's running 3.1.3.
    Don't want a flame war, just noting it would be nice to have the option of choosing which apps are accessible via the lock screen.

Absolutely, but until Apple does it, you'll have to jailbreak to do it. And that's not fragmentation.