I've called eight (8) Apple stores in the L.A. area and NONE have ANY Retina MBP's!?!?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Two more interesting tidbits: At least 3 of those stores told me that outside of the models put out on the floor for display, they have yet to receive a shipment for any of the Retina MacBook Pro's for actual sale. One store rep. claimed that they had received indication from Apple not to expect any shipments for a decent number of units for several more weeks.

I have one on order from Apple's Online Store. Have any of you received yours yet? Any luck in stores?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    tulliustullius Posts: 34member

I ordered mine within an hour of when the online Apple Store went back up after the announcement - and my rMBP was delivered on Friday.  

Awesome machine.  There's a reason demand is so high for it.  

• Reply 2 of 6
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

I suspect that part of the issue is that folks jumped to buy this machine online and so all models produced are going to fill those orders before the stores get any. At least until the online gets down to the 1-2 weeks shipping time and then there might be some trickling of units out to stores. But it will likely go fast. 

I would go ahead and place an order online now and if you can't have it shipped to the house or the office, set it for pickup at whichever store is best for you. There have been reports that sometimes these 4-5 week waits suddenly cut in half so it might not be that long. And if nothing else you'll get in before it can get any worse. 

And look at the wait as a plus. It's not uncommon for the first couple of weeks to expose some goof in the machines that gets fixed for those latter shipments so you could be one of the folks that misses out on something nasty because you have to wait almost 2 months for your order to come up in the queue. Given how unfixable these machines supposedly are, I'd call that a good thing

• Reply 3 of 6
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tullius View Post

I ordered mine within an hour of when the online Apple Store went back up after the announcement - and my rMBP was delivered on Friday.  

Awesome machine.  There's a reason demand is so high for it.  

How hot does it run compared to the past couple generations? I dislike the unrepairable nature, but I found the claims of an improved cooling system to be interesting.

• Reply 4 of 6

(decided to make this less condescending after Tallest Skil replied.  It's not the Apple Store employee's fault that they are being instructed to lie to customers).

In Summary,  

MacMall in the LA area has hundreds of units in stock (or at least they did on the weekend).  Their in-store stock indicators on the website still list dozens in-stock).

Go get em :)

• Reply 5 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    recurrence wrote: »
    Stop going to the Apple Store with its' elitist policies and lying staff and go drop by MacMall.

Yeah, heaven forbid people want to buy Apple products from an Apple Store.

Thanks for the information, though.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, heaven forbid people want to buy Apple products from an Apple Store.

Thanks for the information, though.

I like the third party retailers. Many of them are more helpful than those at the Apple Store.