Intoxicated with Unit Sales

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Apple has put Mac Pro and iMac on back burner, and then say their sales have slowed. Well, no shit Sherlock. It reminds me how Nikon has shut down their scanner service and walked away from their film cameras. Like how RCA exited the wood console business. All three examples demonstrate what happens when the beancounters take over the marketing department. All three brands could be dead in 10 years! 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Where did you mean for this to be?
  • Reply 2 of 5

Not sure what you mean. How about a new topic÷

• Reply 3 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    krroberts wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean. How about a new topic÷

Oh, I just thought you meant for this to be a reply to an existing thread, as it read like one. Never mind, then.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    krroberts wrote: »
    Apple has put Mac Pro and iMac on back burner, and then say their sales have slowed. Well, no shit Sherlock. It reminds me how Nikon has shut down their scanner service and walked away from their film cameras. Like how RCA exited the wood console business. All three examples demonstrate what happens when the beancounters take over the marketing department. All three brands could be dead in 10 years! 

The Mac Pro they have but the time since the last major Macbook Pro update (473 days) was longer than the iMac (currently 413 days).

Killing desktops wouldn't kill the Apple brand either just like Nikon walking away from film won't kill Nikon. Culling things people aren't buying is the right thing to do for the long term. Profit comes from selling items that have growth and demand. That time hasn't come for desktops yet and the important ones will be updated soon.
  • Reply 5 of 5

Nikon is promoting pink point & shoots to teenage girls while not promoting their high end pro film cameras and digital cameras. Nikon kiddie cameras will be replaced by iPhone, then what will Nikon do? There was NO GOOD reason to walk away from film cameras. While Nikon is chasing little girls with Aahton Cucher TV spots, Fuji has flanked Nikon with their awesome new X-Pro1 camera with Fujinon lenses. I am a pro photographer, not a teenaged girl. So, Fuji and Leica fit my self image much better than Nikon. Nikon has prostituted their brand image just as RCA and Sony did in earlier times.

So, my linear-thinkning friend, don't assume that today's hot brands can't commit suicide--they can! Just ask RCA, Philips, Zenith, Magnavox, Sylvania, Oldsmobile, Buick, Philco, and Quasar. Never let beancounters take over your company--they only know cost reduction. Just ask Circuit City and Borders Books. Best Buy and the Post Office will be next.