Photoshop batch question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi there,

here a question for Photoshop pros.

I have the following problem: I have to convert thousands of pictures into new formats. The source is 640x480 the destination is 216x162, 96x72 and 60x45.

In order to do that, I thought a Photoshop batch could help me. The source file names do have the format letterletternumber.jpg (e.g. ca15072.jpg) and the destination file names should change the second letter, which classifies the size of the pictures. So there is a certain letter for 216x162, one for 96x72 and one for 60x45.

The problem I've encountered is that although I can make Photoshop to complete the task of resizing my source pictures, it always saves under the same file name or under it's own name convention (and it isn't funny to rename thousands of files). How can I make Photoshop to take picture by picture from a directory, resize them and save them with a new filename, where the second letter has changed corresponding to the size of the picture, but the first letter and the number stays the same?

If anyone can help, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I'm unsure about telling Photoshop to follow a naming pattern, but if you can have it save the new images into a new directory under the same names, go download and buy "A Better Finder Rename" (Search on versiontracker.com). It allows you to do simple batch renaming in the Finder. I"ve used it since OS 9, works wonders for my web work.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I had to run an action on about a hundred scanned negatives tonight, and if under the "File" menu in Photoshop you select "Batch" you can do what you want to do. Setup an action first, then open up the Batch processing dialog. A Better Finder Rename is still good to have though.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    There is also<a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/mp/new_search.m?productDB=mac&mode=Quick&OS_Filter=Ma cOSX&search=resize&x=14&y=14" target="_blank">shareware & freeware</a> made specifically for batch resizing