MBP Retina or MB Air 13"?
I'm currently using a 2010 MB Pro 15" (Core i5 Duo, 2.2GHz), with "hi-res" 1680x1050 display and an official Apple 256GB SSD.
I'm happy with that, but it's getting old and it's really "heavy" (~2.5 kg).
Now that the line has been refreshed, I cannot choose between 2 solutions:
- MB Pro with Retina
- MB Air 13" (top model + 8GB memory)
First of all, let me say that I want a 256GB SSD (it's truly amazing!), and that I need lot of screen space to work.
Thus, should I buy the MB Pro with Retina display, I will probably set its resolution to 1680x1050 (instead of 1440x900 "Retina").
I mostly use the laptop for:
1. Programming (I mostly use XCode and Coda, plus some Photoshop)
2. Studying (reading slides of sessions, mostly; I rarely use a PC to take notes during lessons - I always use pen and paper - but sometimes it happens)
3. Web surfing, iTunes, iPhoto... Occasionally, I use tools like Photoshop and Aperture to fix photos taken with a DSLR
I'm not a videogamer (I use them in really few occasions), and I don't really *need* powerful CPUs (so that if I had a more powerful CPU, it would be better; if I didn't have, it wouldn't be a serious issue).
I cannot really decide between the two!
- The MB Pro Retina has more space to work (15" that can be set to 1680x1050), it's more powerful (discrete video card, more powerful CPU) but more expensive (~600€ more than the other option). It's not really light (~2 kg), but yet lighter than my current one.
- The MB Air is extremely lightweight and thin (~1,35 kg) and less expensive, but it has only 1440x900 on a 13" and I'm worried it may not be enough for me to work on.
(Weight matters to me, because I need to carry, sometimes, the laptop on a bag/backpack... So, whenever possible, I'd rather like something light!)
Before buying the MB Pro I'm using, I had a 13" MacBook (the white one!) with resolution 1280x800, and I remember it was too little for me to work...
Oh, external displays are not a solution for me, as I'm home rarely!
What do you think?
What would you recommend?