Anyone use Mountain Lion on 2GB RAM?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014

How does it perform? I'm asking for my sisters white macbook (the last generation produced, core 2 duo/320m). She's happy with Snow Leopards performance on 2GB, but if I upgraded it for her to ML I'm wondering if a fairly light user would feel bogged down on 2GB compared to Snow Leopard. 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Lion can barely run on 2 GB. Mountain Lion I'd imagine would do even worse.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member

Bump since its out. I hear it reduced its hogginess over Lion. 

• Reply 3 of 8
    jlm2013jlm2013 Posts: 1member

For anyone that's seeing this or wondering:

2 gb is fine with mountain lion. ^^ Safari gets a bit ram hoggy with more than 2 tabs open, but other than that it runs like a dream. (read: much better than snow leopard, let alone Lion) Go for it. If you need more ram later, you need more ram later.

• Reply 4 of 8

Great to heard this, but may I ask what's your source? Because I'm about to upgrade my girlfriends macbook white last gen.

Thanks in advance!

• Reply 5 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jlm2013 View Post

For anyone that's seeing this or wondering:

2 gb is fine with mountain lion. ^^ Safari gets a bit ram hoggy with more than 2 tabs open, but other than that it runs like a dream. (read: much better than snow leopard, let alone Lion) Go for it. If you need more ram later, you need more ram later.

You tried it yourself? Safari gets laggy with just two tabs but everything else is fine? That's rather strange. What about other browsers. 

• Reply 6 of 8
    d0gc0wd0gc0w Posts: 2member

Interesting that you say Lion barely does.  I have been running Lion on a mid-2009 MacBook Air for a while now and it runs fantastic on that 2 GB of RAM.  Also for the Safari comment - most browsers are RAM hogs - at least all the main ones that most people use - Safari, Chrome, etc etc.  I am currently using Raven and it uses a fraction of the memory most other browsers seem to gobble up, so it's my main browser now.  At least that's been my experience.

• Reply 7 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by d0gc0w View Post

Interesting that you say Lion barely does.  I have been running Lion on a mid-2009 MacBook Air for a while now and it runs fantastic on that 2 GB of RAM.  Also for the Safari comment - most browsers are RAM hogs - at least all the main ones that most people use - Safari, Chrome, etc etc.  I am currently using Raven and it uses a fraction of the memory most other browsers seem to gobble up, so it's my main browser now.  At least that's been my experience.

But that's with an SSD, which makes swapping in and out of RAM many times faster. 

• Reply 8 of 8
    d0gc0wd0gc0w Posts: 2member

Yep I did opt for the SSD version of this air.  And that was indeed the sole reason I decided to give mountain lion a try.  Just installed it yesterday and so far so good. :)