ServiceNow IT firm surges on IPO, CEO says company is 'wall-to-wall' Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
IT firm ServiceNow went public on Friday as the company's CEO revealed their operations are "wall-to-wall" reliant on Apple products, including iPhones and MacBooks.

ServiceNow CEO Frank Slootman appeared on CNBC Friday to promote his company's IPO. While live on the set, Slootman was asked about the growth of Apple products in the enterprise.

"Our company, we're all Apple, wall to wall," he revealed. "Not just on the iPhone, also our notebooks, laptops and so on."

Slootman was also asked if the enterprise is "embracing Apple in a surprisingly strong way." To that, he responded: "I believe so."

As of late last year, ServiceNow, which is based in San Diego, Calif., had more than 500 employees. The company plans hire another 400 personnel this year, Slootman revealed Friday, nearly doubling in size. The company has doubled its sales for eight years in a row, and has $130 million in recurring revenue.

ServiceNow
ServiceNow CEO Frank Slootman revealed on Friday his company exclusively uses Apple products.

ServiceNow's initial public offering was up as much as 30 percent on the New York Stock Exchange Friday. It trades under the ticker symbol "NOW."

The IT company was founded in 2003 and is a software-as-a-service provider of IT service management software. Slootman has served as ServiceNow's CEO since 2001.

The company's exclusive use of Apple products is noteworthy as Apple has found recent success in the enterprise, but still hasn't seen the same level of tremendous growth in corporate that it does in

In its quarterly earnings reports, Apple frequently boasts that nearly all Fortune 500 companies are either testing or deploying both the iPhone and the iPad among their employees. Major corporations have also become developers of the iOS platform, and are creating and deploying "mission critical apps" specifically built for their employees, Apple executives revealed in January.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

Not everybody is happy with that news.

steve-ballmer-sweaty-developers.jpg

• Reply 2 of 32
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    This article is missing some words
  • Reply 3 of 32
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member

Service-Now are in the office the floor below where I work.  I thought they were looking happy with themselves this morning!

• Reply 4 of 32
    Awaiting the inevitable "I love the Mac as much as the next guy, but for complex applications, you gotta use a PC" post...
  • Reply 5 of 32
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Awaiting the inevitable "I love the Mac as much as the next guy, but for complex applications, you gotta use a PC" post...

Where are the "OSX will never be enterprise-ready" pundits?

• Reply 6 of 32
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member

Good for them. Now, all other IT people need to wake up.

• Reply 7 of 32

Quote:

"Hey, I mean, I love the Mac as much as any fanboy, but you know, for really, really complex tasks that 98% of business computers are used for, like Word, Excel and .ppt, you really need a PC"

There ya go.

• Reply 8 of 32
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member

Quote:

I'm awaiting the "where is the update to the Mac Pro? Apple only makes iToys now" whine.

So tiresome.

• Reply 9 of 32
    tylersdadtylersdad Posts: 310member

And their products are terrible!!! We use this product for incident and change request management. It's lousy. The most gawd-awful user interface you can imagine. It's like stepping back into the late 90's.

• Reply 10 of 32
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

I'm awaiting the "where is the update to the Mac Pro? Apple only makes iToys now" whine.

So tiresome.

And the majority of the people who say that have no intention of buying a Mac Pro regardless and most of them probably couldn't even afford one.

• Reply 11 of 32
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Yeah, I think about 80% of AppleInsider commentors are teenagers still living with mommy and daddy.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

And their products are terrible!!! We use this product for incident and change request management. It's lousy. The most gawd-awful user interface you can imagine. It's like stepping back into the late 90's.

You've apparently never used Remedy.

• Reply 13 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I have. That's what Service Now replaced. It's very poor too. A new browser window for pretty much every task you want to perform, but at least it had ways of grouping the various groups within our IT organization. Service Now just gives you a giant list of groups. For our company, it's thousands.

• Reply 14 of 32
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

We switched from Remedy to Service-Now, and Service-Now is much better.

• Reply 15 of 32
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member

I love the Mac as much as the next guy, but for complex applications, you gotta use a PC

• Reply 16 of 32
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    red oak wrote: »
    I love the Mac as much as the next guy, but for complex applications, you gotta use a PC

Almost got me fooled. LOL

But if peoble ask for it ......
  • Reply 17 of 32
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

We switched from Remedy to Service-Now, and Service-Now is much better.

My company used to use ServiceCenter (Peregrine/HP). Now, it uses Tivoli (IBM). They aren't in the cloud.

From what I see in the demo, the Service-Now tool is quite good (better than either ServiceCenter or Tivoli). I wish my company is using this tool.

• Reply 18 of 32
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

"Hey, I mean, I love the Mac as much as any fanboy, but you know, for really, really complex tasks that 98% of business computers are used for, like Word, Excel and .ppt, you really need a PC"

There ya go.

Yeah, they are wall-to-wall Macs. 99% of their staff is in sales and he probably doesn't realize that the actual application as a service is in Windows using .Net (just guessing) which might explain why it seems so clunky.

• Reply 19 of 32
    The largest company in the Canadian oil sands muskrat river deposit also has a complete backbone for mission critical systems built ontop of osx server and Apple hardware. That company enjoyed an operating profit of just over $31.5 billion last year, I'd think it's safe to assume osx is totally capable of being integrated anywhere if you put the correct engineering team behind the steering wheel.

The line of not being able to run complex applications is bullshit, I've personally worked at the scotford plant close to Edmonton Alberta and seen the walls of Xserves that drive the upgrading infrastructure and facilities, it's awesome.
  • Reply 20 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

My company used to use ServiceCenter (Peregrine/HP). Now, it uses Tivoli (IBM). They aren't in the cloud.

From what I see in the demo, the Service-Now tool is quite good (better than either ServiceCenter or Tivoli). I wish my company is using this tool.

Does the cloud make Service Now an inherently better application?