Rumor: Apple readying minor revisions to new iPad battery, lens

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
An unverified report out of the Far East claims Apple is planning to make "small revisions" to its third-generation iPad, such as an enlarged lens hole and changes to the battery to keep the device from overheating, later this year.

Supply chain sources have indicated to DigiTimes that Apple will likely release the updated iPad "around the holiday season."

"The sources said the new iPad's battery is being revised, which will help prevent overheating issues and could possibly make the device slightly lighter and thinner than previously designed," the report noted.

No reason was given as to what Apple hoped to accomplish by enlarging the iPad's lens hole. The third-generation tablet, which was released in March, features a 5-megapixel rear camera and a front camera capable of VGA-quality photos.

DigiTimes has a mixed track record and has been criticized for its willingness to report even the most speculative rumors from its sources. The publication did, however, correctly predict the Retina Display on both the new iPad and the new MacBook Pro.

Given that the report remains unverified, AppleInsider is unable to vouch for the veracity of the rumor and is covering it here simply for the sake of discussion.

Apple's new iPad took some heat from product reviewer Consumer Reports shortly after release because it felt "very warm" while running a game. Separate tests also showed the device ran hotter than the second-generation iPad, though one report noted that the tablet was not much hotter than Android tablets or notebook computers.

For its part, Apple dismissed the concerns by stating that the new iPad operates "well within our thermal specifications."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Digitiimes=bullshit
  • Reply 2 of 19
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Why does AI bother with all these obviously bullshit reports?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member

Would this then be the New New iPad?

• Reply 4 of 19
    markd2xmarkd2x Posts: 2member
    Heat has been an ongoing issue for Apple, my last MacBook Pro was often too hot to have on my lap. The standard answer from apple is that it isn't a laptop.....

It was the only thing that let it down, looking forward to my MacBook Air for my birthday tomorrow, I just hope it isnt hot underneath too.

I assume the heat issues have been related to the aluminium cases and slimness, heat has to go somewhere and is probably a side effect of the battery type and heat dissipation methods utilised. After all metal is a good conductor of heat.

Mark
  • Reply 5 of 19
    festerfeetfesterfeet Posts: 108member

My 2011 MBP does generate a bit of heat when working hard but would never use it on my lap anyway.

I picked up a new iPad a couple of weeks ago and the has been fine playing videos (can't say about games, don't have any on there. It gets warm but never too hot or even uncomfortable, maybe I am just not giving enough work to do. image

• Reply 6 of 19
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

The Nyuh Nyuh iPad?

• Reply 7 of 19

If they would say Apple plans to make A5X revision with 32nm or 28nm process in a few months than maybe i believe it. They changed it in the iPad 2 recently from 45nm to 32nm.

• Reply 8 of 19
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    If they had said simply that they were looking at a new battery and that it might make the iPad slightly lighter, it would have been a possibility.

But thinner? No way. That would involve a major redesign which would not simply be slipped in midstream.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member

I'll believe this when Linsey Lohan passes up a glass table with lines full of  high end Columbian blow.

• Reply 10 of 19
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Pageviews.

The same reason all the others continue to quote DigiTimes.

• Reply 11 of 19
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Page hits. They got at least two from you. one for the article, one for coming to the forum. 

Add it up and that's $$$ in the bank for them

• Reply 12 of 19
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I love my iPad 3 but the battery is the worse part of it. It takes noticeably longer to charge than the iPad 1 and runs down noticeably faster.

• Reply 13 of 19
    logandiggeslogandigges Posts: 399member

Yeah, we get it. DigiTimes is crap. No need to test us on if we know that.

• Reply 14 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

The Even Newer iPad or The Newest iPad.

• Reply 15 of 19

So far east it's west.

• Reply 16 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Page hits. They got at least two from you. one for the article, one for coming to the forum. 

Ha! Joke's on them; I never visit the actual site. I'm only ever on the forum. :lol:
  • Reply 17 of 19
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member

Quote:

It's 2012. AppleInsider -- like others in mass media -- worships at the temple of the Almighty Pageview.

True journalism died in the Nineties. Today it's garbage in, garbage out.

Sorry about that.

(Personally, I think there should be a special "Digitimes" tag for these sort of articles, and a special place to put them on. Not Page 2, but Page 5731. But it will be a cold day in hell before AI does anything like that. Too bad.)

• Reply 18 of 19
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    The Even Newer iPad or The Newest iPad.

In all likelihood, they will eventually settle on using years to define the difference between models. Much like the MBP, MBA, iMac, etc.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I love my iPad 3 but the battery is the worse part of it. It takes noticeably longer to charge than the iPad 1 and runs down noticeably faster.

Both of those are no surprise based on the new iPads specs: much larger battery and much more energy consuming display and internals. Though I, myself, haven't experienced a faster rundown (which was the point of the larger battery after all).