startup problems w/9.2.2

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm trying to figure out what in the world I've done. I've got an iMac 450 (Sage) that was up until last week running 9.2.1 just fine. Then (in what appears to have been a bad move) I decided to upgrade to 9.2.2. The installation went fine, and things seemed fine until I had to reboot the system yesterday. Now, it seems to be having problems starting up.

When I reset it I hear the chime and things seem to be going along fine. However, once I get past the "Smiling Mac, OS 9.2" screen things go south. Sometimes things load just fine and everything is good. However, sometimes I get the spinning wheel and no extensions loading. Finally, the wheel turns into the dreaded bomb, and I'm stuck.

What did I do? Is this an extension problem? Do I need to go back and do a clean install of 9.2.1?

Any help that anyone could give would be wonderful.

Matt

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Do you still have AppleSupport? sounds like a call to them would help...

You could try (at your own risk, not mine..) starting up holding alt-command-o-f to boot into open firmware then typing in:

reset-nvram (then press return)

reset-all (then return)

it'll reboot, try then starting from a cd then re-installing...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    save yourself time/proplems:

-make backup

-initialize the drive

-make clean install

imho there is to much trash around when you install system over system.

works good for me.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Thanks for the suggestions. I should have a chance to mess around with it tomorrow.

Anyone have a clue what went wrong? Something that was already on the hard drive or could it be a problem with the update files from Apples server?

Matt