OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion Golden Master seeded to developers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Monday seeded what is intended to be the final test version of its OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion to developers with no known issues, meaning that the next-generation operating system is all but complete and set for imminent launch.

Apple's Mountain Lion GM signals the final stage of software development for the next-generation OS which is expected to be ready for public consumption later this month unless developers find any issues with the finalized build.

A near-final build of Mountain Lion was made available to developers at the start of Apple's WWDC 2012 in June and included previously unannounced features like voice dictation and an energy-efficient Power Nap mode which automatically refreshes data on the second-generation MacBook Air and new MacBook Pro with Retina display. Tighter iCloud integration, offline webpage viewing in Safari and Messages are also in tow for the next-generation OS X.

Alongside Mountain Lion's over 200 new features is a substantial security system that regularly checks-in with Apple's servers to ensure that the latest patches and updates are installed on a user's Mac. The automated system could be a result of the highly-publicized Flashback Trojan that reportedly affected some 600,000 Macs worldwide.

Mountain Lion

From the Mountain Lion change logs:

OS X Lion 10.7.5 build 11G22 Seed Note

OS X Lion Update 10.7.5 is an update to OS X Lion 10.7.

Installation Instructions

The OS X Lion 10.7.5 Update (Combo) updates

- OS X Lion 10.7, 10.7.1, 10.7.2, 10.7.3 or 10.7.4 GM.

The OS X Lion 10.7.5 Update (Delta) updates

- OS X Lion 10.7.4 GM.

Please be aware that you will not be able to revert back to your previous system after updating. Please install this update on a system you are prepared to erase if necessary.

Known Issues

- None

Focus Areas

- Graphics performance and quality

- Image & Media importing, editing or viewing

- Networking reliability & performance
From the Xcode change log:

Xcode Release Notes

This document contains release notes for Xcode 4.4 GM seed. It discusses new features and issues

present in Xcode 4.4 GM seed and issues resolved from earlier Xcode releases.

About Xcode 4.4 GM Seed Supported Configurations

Xcode 4.4 GM seed requires OS X 10.8 GM seed or OS X 10.7.4. It does not run on earlier versions of OS X. Xcode supports development for iOS 5.1, OS X 10.8, and OS X 10.7.

Installation

This preview release of Xcode 4.4 is distributed as a single application bundle, Xcode44-DP7.app. To install Xcode during the preview period, open the downloaded DMG file and drag Xcode44-DP7.app to your Applications folder.

Within Xcode, you can launch additional developer tools, such as Instruments and FileMerge, via the menu item Xcode > Open Developer Tool. You can then keep the tool in your Dock for access when Xcode is not running.

Technical Support and Learning Resources

Apple offers a number of resources where you can get Xcode development support:

? http://developer.apple.com: The Apple Developer website is the best source for up-to-date technical documentation on iOS and OS X.

? http://developer.apple.com/xcode: The Xcode home page on the Apple Developer website provides information on the developer tools.

? http://devforums.apple.com: The Apple Developer Forums feature a dedicated Developer Forum for Xcode developer previews.

Use http://bugreport.apple.com to communicate issues with Apple. Include detailed information of the issue, including the system and developer tools version information, and any relevant crash logs or console messages.
Apple announced that OS X Mountain Lion would be available for purchase through the Mac App Store in July for $19.99 though no specific release date was set.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member

just take my money and send it along already!!!  Monitor MIRRORING!!!!

• Reply 2 of 47
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

They'll probably release it the day after the earnings call like they did Lion last year. That'll be July 25th.

• Reply 3 of 47
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member

Hurray for free upgrade! Can't wait!

• Reply 4 of 47

The Power Nap has always been one of my favorites -- glad to see Apple building in Power Nap in OS/X at last.  

Not to mention, device support for a couple of new computers.  :-)

• Reply 5 of 47
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This isn't showing up for me in the Mac App Store yet. I'm guessing it's only available as a full download installer from their dev site.

The Power Nap has always been one of my favorites -- glad to see Apple building in Power Nap in OS/X at last.

One thing I'd like to see is Secure Auto-Login. Basically isn't auto-login that will start the default user account up with a locked screen. This way your account is secured but all your apps are loaded and running as you like when you unlock the screen.
  • Reply 6 of 47

I think Apple should create a password manager along the lines of 1password. Keychain just doesn't cut it.

• Reply 7 of 47
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

I think Apple should make an interface with tiles that you can tap on that confuse everyone, oh wait.....

• Reply 8 of 47

Why does the article source an update to Lion and talk about an update to Mountain Lion?

• Reply 9 of 47

Does anyone know the system requirements for Mountain Lion? Besides needing the Core 2 Duo Processor...

• Reply 10 of 47
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    crabapple wrote: »
    Why does the article source an update to Lion and talk about an update to Mountain Lion?

Good question.

fitzgerald wrote: »
    Does anyone know the system requirements for Mountain Lion? Besides needing the Core 2 Duo Processor...

http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/
  • Reply 11 of 47
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Congrats to Team OSX! Well done, very well done

I can't wait to get it
  • Reply 12 of 47
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member

Should be good

• Reply 13 of 47
    Downloading right now !

edit--

even-though I am a little pissed PowerNap will not work with my new MBP 15.....
  • Reply 14 of 47
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member

Lion is such a dud.  If all it does is make Lion run as well as Snow Leopard, I'd view that as a victory.

• Reply 15 of 47
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Lion is such a dud.  If all it does is make Lion run as well as Snow Leopard, I'd view that as a victory.

While I do love the way Lion works & the features, it is the most unstable version I've used since I came back to Mac with Leopard.

(Started with the 512K "Fat Mac" back in the day and used Macs at work, but had to go Windows for 5 or 6 years for a laptop to run some programs that wouldn't even run in Bootcamp... but back now!!!! for 5 years! Yay!)

Sooooo many Force Quitting of Apps. So many times a Restart would just give me a white screen and I'd have to hold the Power Button in to get it to restart.

So much worse use of memory, although yes, I do keep about 3 or 4 desktops open, but it should still work better with my 4GB memory than it does. Yes, I know I need more memory. My mid-2007 iMac can support 6 GB, which I will get soon. But Snow Leopard had no problem at all with my 4 GB.

So, yes, totally agree! Make it run like Snow Leopard!!!
  • Reply 16 of 47
    mac'em xmac'em x Posts: 108member

Seems that Apple's getting pretty good at solid*, on-time OS updates. ML is no huge overhaul of OS X, but features like Dictation, Gatekeeper, and AirPlay aren't trivial, either. Good work, and here's hoping for 10.9 a year later.

* "Solid" may not apply to all Lion users...

• Reply 17 of 47
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Market_Player View Post

Downloading right now !

edit--

even-though I am a little pissed PowerNap will not work with my new MBP 15.....

So am I (snicker)

• Reply 18 of 47
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 465member

Quote:

Originally Posted by FitzGerald View Post

My wife's Santa Rosa MBP will be nearly 5 years old and it was introduced almost to the week that Mountain Lion will come out.  That machine can run Mountain Lion.  My two year old original iPad cannot run iOS 6.  Apple can be strange sometimes...

• Reply 19 of 47
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

My wife's Santa Rosa MBP will be nearly 5 years old and it was introduced almost to the week that Mountain Lion will come out.  That machine can run Mountain Lion.  My two year old original iPad cannot run iOS 6.  Apple can be strange sometimes...

I find this funny.

• Reply 20 of 47
    thx607thx607 Posts: 14member
    sevenfeet wrote: »

I was bummed and then I thought about, most of the updates to iOS6 really do require at least an iPad 2. So because of this, I don't think it would be worth the update. Although, I really wish I could turn off regions like in iOS6 because I want my son to use my 1g iPad.

The iPad 2 really should have been iPad 1