Apple to offer iCloud.com email addresses with iOS 6

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Alongside the various new features seen in Monday's iOS 6 beta 3 release, Apple revealed that new and existing iCloud users will be getting new email addresses ending in "@iCloud.com" based to their AppleID account names when the mobile operating system rolls out later this year.

The migration to iCloud.com addresses is the second such change Apple product users have seen in the past four years, the first being a 2008 switch from ".Mac" to the soon-to-be defunct ".me" MobileMe service suite.

Apple stopped all MobileMe services on June 30 as the company moved to the more integrated iCloud service which allows for easy syncing between multiple devices. While the transition has not yet been made public, developers were made aware of the upcoming change in Apple's iOS 6 beta 3 that was seeded on Monday. Also revealed in today's change log was expanded settings tweaks for Apple's upcoming Maps app which will make its debut when iOS 6 launches later this fall.

From the update log:
icloud.com email addresses are now available for iCloud mail users. Users signing up for new Apple IDs, or enabling Mail on their iCloud account for the first time, will automatically receive an @icloud.com email address instead of a me.com email address. iCloud users with @me.com addresses that have been used with iOS 6 beta 3 will receive an @icloud.com email address that matches their @me.com address.
iOS 6 Mail
Apple's upcoming iOS will feature a revamped Mail app and new iCloud.com email accounts. | Source: Apple

It is unclear if Apple will keep existing .me accounts active after the iCloud.com rollout, but the company still continues such support for legacy .Mac users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Just, Apple… can we merge our old Apple IDs upward? I like how my establishment date is 2003, but I'd love to just use the one account for absolutely everything, you know?

Can we still get @mac.com addresses? And if not, does this mean they'll be phasing out @me.com addresses?
  • Reply 2 of 64
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

I wish I could use my .mac address. I really like my .mac address and hated when it went to .me

I agree...why can't they combine these? 

• Reply 3 of 64

I still use my @mac.com, i really hope we don't have to give it up...

But i love how the two endings are connected (doesn't matter which one i use to log in, send to, log on to iTunes, etc,), i really hope it will be the same with @icloud.com, so we don't have to switch all our emails and tell all our contacts that we have changed address, that would just be a bummer...

• Reply 4 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I wish I could use my .mac address. I really like my .mac address and hated when it went to .me

I got both @mac.com and @me.com and it doesn't matter which one i use to log in with so when the went to @me.com it really didn't bother me at all because it never gave me any issue... :)

• Reply 5 of 64
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member

While we're at it, can we associate more than one email with a single account on the app store? Maybe different profiles for different members of the same family?

• Reply 6 of 64
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

Personally I always thought that the me.com was quite cool. Most people never knew what it stood for.

Mind you I have never understood why people don't just register their own domains, doesn't cost much.

• Reply 7 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I don't like the .me address they gave me so I try to never use it.  But my .mac address works just fine still.

• Reply 8 of 64
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

While we're at it, can we associate more than one email with a single account on the app store? Maybe different profiles for different members of the same family?

Excellent suggestion. itunesconnect seems to always get confused between "me.com" and "mac.com" (I forget which one it likes; I usually try both and one works).

I think Apple should just simplify, and go back to "mac.com." Jettison everything else. iCloud.com is cute, but it is neither necessary or particularly more useful.

• Reply 9 of 64
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Never depend on Apple for your formal permanent email address.

That is all.

Regards,

[email protected]

• Reply 10 of 64
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Just, Apple… can we merge our old Apple IDs upward? I like how my establishment date is 2003, but I'd love to just use the one account for absolutely everything, you know?
    Can we still get @mac.com addresses? And if not, does this mean they'll be phasing out @me.com addresses?

There will be the deluxe version @macmeicloud.com for us veterans.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    mstone wrote: »
    Never depend on Apple for your formal permanent email address.

That is all.

Regards,

[email protected]

I have ever since they were first available and been very happy with them by enlarge. They all still work fine.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have ever since they were first available and been very happy with them by enlarge. They all still work fine.

Perhaps you did not notice the email I signed with. Also my .mac email started becoming unreliable so I don't give it out anymore. Sometimes the mail would never show up which started happening after we switched to Mobileme. I haven't tested it since migrating to iCloud. But to make matters worse my Apple ID is a .mac email address however the email is .me. I used to use my .me address as a user ID but when I migrated to iCloud they changed it back to .mac for some reason. I'll never assume that Apple will keep any service for very long. They always axe them after a couple years.

• Reply 13 of 64
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Same here.
  • Reply 14 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

https://appleid.apple.com

Supports multiple emails tied to the account.

• Reply 15 of 64
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member

why can't they just get over themselves and allow custom domains to properly compete with other services

i use my own domain to prevent this sort of email change annoyance and to be provider independent - but i suppose that is what Apple don't want

getting more evil !

• Reply 16 of 64
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Also my .mac email started becoming unreliable so I don't give it out anymore. Sometimes the mail would never show up which started happening after we switched to Mobileme. I haven't tested it since migrating to iCloud. But to make matters worse my Apple ID is a .mac email address however the email is .me. I used to use my .me address as a user ID but when I migrated to iCloud they changed it back to .mac for some reason. 

Conforms to my own frustrating experience. I have tested it since iCloud, and it's the same set of issues, perhaps slightly worse. It's laggy, buggy, emails arrive/get sent much later than with Gmail, Yahoo (both of which I still have, for legacy reasons and inertia), etc.

• Reply 17 of 64
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    kkqd1337 wrote: »
    why can't they just get over themselves and allow custom domains to properly compete with other services

i use my own domain to prevent this sort of email change annoyance and to be provider independent - but i suppose that is what Apple don't want

getting more evil !

What does this even mean? :lol: Do you even have an old Apple ID?
  • Reply 18 of 64
    mstone wrote: »
    Perhaps you did not notice the email I signed with. Also my .mac email started becoming unreliable so I don't give it out anymore. Sometimes the mail would never show up which started happening after we switched to Mobileme. I haven't tested it since migrating to iCloud. But to make matters worse my Apple ID is a .mac email address however the email is .me. I used to use my .me address as a user ID but when I migrated to iCloud they changed it back to .mac for some reason. I'll never assume that Apple will keep any service for very long. They always axe them after a couple years.

Sounds like you have gotten a confused set up. Who is 'they' in that? Apple didn't change @me back to @mac when @icloud came out I assure you. If that happened for you then something got screwed up in the process. Are you sure you have not got ID and email usage mixed up?
  • Reply 19 of 64
    Conforms to my own frustrating experience. I have tested it since iCloud, and it's the same set of issues, perhaps slightly worse. It's laggy, buggy, emails arrive/get sent much later than with Gmail, Yahoo (both of which I still have, for legacy reasons and inertia), etc.

That's weird, I can do a side by side (as in have friend send me to all at same time) with gmail, mac and me I have and there is no difference.
  • Reply 20 of 64
    macologistmacologist Posts: 264member

DEAR APPLE!

I love my @mac.com Address…  I'd love to use it FOREVER!!! I suspect that there are a lot of Mac Users that feel the same way!!! If you doubt that, please Set Up a Petition or should should "We The Customers"  just use this Feedback Page at Apple.com http://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html ? I've just expressed my feelings there.

Choosing "Mail" under Feedback Type was my best guess, but I wish I didn't have to guess…. Either way, I've included a Link to this Forum Discussion in my Feedback, as a way of Can You Hear Me Now, Apple!!! I others will do the same, so that this Entire Discussion becomes a de facto Petition to Apple!!! Otherwise, how can we really know that Apple is definitely reading this Discussion to gage the Feedback from its Customers?

To me @me.com address sounded sounded and felt silly… so  @icloud.com would be an improvement! But, I •• LOVE •• my @mac.com address, and I still want to use it to give Apple and Specifically, Mac OS, a pr plug, and as a matter of Pride for being a Long Time Apple Fan, User, Supporter!!! 

Logistically, Changing my Email Address would be a pain in the neck: 

Those who have Paper Stationary, Business Cards, etc. would have another unwelcome expense…. 

Trying to notify everyone of my email address change! Particularly problematic would be some Billing and other Sites User IDs Registration!!! That's why I've always relied on @mac.com Address for •important• communications, knowing that, in case of a problem, there would be a Human somewhere at Apple to talk to, at least in Theory, as opposed to Gmail, Yahoo etc….