Extended Apple employee hours point to rumored July 25 Mountain Lion release

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Prep work for the rollout of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion will reportedly culminate next week when Apple employees will be be tapped for overtime beginning July 25.

In particular, corporate divisions responsible for customer service and training in the EMEA region are seeing a strong push for overtime hours for two weeks as of July 25, according to people familiar with the matter, likely portending an imminent release of Mountain Lion on or around that day.

The company will also be increasing the number of staffers available during the rumored rollout period, though the exact nature of their hire was not disclosed to them, according to those same people.

Word of the launch day arrangements comes just ten days after Apple declared OS X 10.8 gold master (GM) -- a complete and ready version to be prepared for distribution. Should the product release on July 25th as expected, it would put Apple's time to market at roughly two weeks from when the software was declared GM.

AppleInsider reported in May that the Mac maker was hiring and training new staff to aid in customer support inquiries immediately following the release of Mountain Lion.

Mountain Lion
Apple's Mountain Lion webpage advertises a July launch. | Source: Apple

The new OS will feature over 200 new features including an security system that executes regular checks to keep Macs up to date with the most recent patches and updates. Some of the featured changes were outlined by AppleInsider as part of the Inside Mountain Lion series, including the iOS-style Notification Center and Voice Dictation services.

Apple last month announced that Mountain Lion would be ready for a July release, but elected not to disclose a specific release date.

When it is released, Mountain Lion will be available through the Mac App Store for $19.99. New Mac buyers who purchased their machine after June 11, 2012 will receive the update for free.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    According to sources at a couple of stores, they haven't received any materials for a demo change on the 25th. Typically with a big OS change they change up the demo materials as well. So the 25th might be about Mountain Lion, something else, or both.

They do say that they are starting to get training materials about Mountain Lion so it should be soon.
  • Reply 2 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

According to sources at a couple of stores, they haven't received any materials for a demo change on the 25th. Typically with a big OS change they change up the demo materials as well. So the 25th might be about Mountain Lion, something else, or both.

They do say that they are starting to get training materials about Mountain Lion so it should be soon.

If it isn't the 25th it probably be one of the other 9 days available in July :/s

• Reply 3 of 13
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member

Looks like the second OS that I will not be buying.  

• Reply 4 of 13
    newcodenewcode Posts: 24member

I'm picking up a new Air later on today. Does anyone know how I'll get my Mountain Lion update? I'm assuming it will be a redeemable code for the Mac App Store, but does anyone know if I'll be able to also upgrade my iMac with it too?

• Reply 5 of 13
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I'll buy it.
    Snow leopard was great.
    Lion was probably released due to competitive reasons. Should have waited.
    I hope Mountain Lion will bring back some seriously efficient code, and polished finish.
  • Reply 6 of 13

I want pinch to zoom back on Finder icons!!!

• Reply 7 of 13
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyweston View Post

I want pinch to zoom back on Finder icons!!!

I absolutely hated that. I want it back only if I can turn it off and never use it ever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

Looks like the second OS that I will not be buying.

Better start not buying any Apple products whatsoever, then.

• Reply 8 of 13
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by newcode View Post

I'm picking up a new Air later on today. Does anyone know how I'll get my Mountain Lion update? I'm assuming it will be a redeemable code for the Mac App Store, but does anyone know if I'll be able to also upgrade my iMac with it too?

if they do like they did with Lion yes you will be sent a gift code so it will read as a purchase in the MAS and yes you can use it on all other computers you have that are upgradeable (up to 5 I think the rule is)

• Reply 9 of 13
    newcodenewcode Posts: 24member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

if they do like they did with Lion yes you will be sent a gift code so it will read as a purchase in the MAS and yes you can use it on all other computers you have that are upgradeable (up to 5 I think the rule is)

Thanks, I figured it would work like that.

• Reply 10 of 13

I wonder if Apple will address the problem between iChat and Messages where if you set your status to invisible in the latter, it will be permanently invisible in the former.

Because that's a problem in the GM.

• Reply 11 of 13

It has to be in the next few days as July ends soon. 

• Reply 12 of 13
    rmm221rmm221 Posts: 29member

Please please please upgrade the Mac Mini!  Not asking for much, just USB 3.0, maybe dual thunderbolt ports... 8 gigs of RAM standard and a processor boost to dual-core.

This would be a powerhouse video editing machine for cheap with an external thunderbolt compatible RAID for storage.

My gut is telling me apple will kill the mac mini though by not updating it at all this year.  So sad... I don't need a laptop.. and don't want to fork out cash for a giant PowerMac tower.

A $700-800 mac mini with thunderbolt and USB 3.0 would future proof it for editing for MANY years to come.. please!

• Reply 13 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmm221 View Post

Please please please upgrade the Mac Mini!  Not asking for much, just USB 3.0, maybe dual thunderbolt ports... 8 gigs of RAM standard and a processor boost to dual-core.

The Mac Mini has had a dual-core processor for six years. And I'd bet 4GB standard.

My gut is telling me apple will kill the mac mini though by not updating it at all this year.

They JUST redesigned it. It's not being killed.

Quote:

…a giant PowerMac tower.

They're called "Mac Pro" now. I guess your lack of knowledge fits the above Mac Mini timeframe, though.