Java Compatibility Error

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

When I open any kind of Java file on my computer, it gives me the error : No compatible version of Java 1.5+ is available.

There is an option in the message box to close the warning and also one to open Java Preferences. When you open Java Preferences, it again gives the same error.

I am running: Mac OS X 10.6.8 on a 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mac Book Pro

After searching the web and contacting apple, I was told to update Java to the latest version. I downloaded the 10.6 update 9 installer and at the end of the installation, it gave an error saying that an unexpected error had occurred.

Yes I have tried restarting my computer many a time.

I also tried going back 4 days via Time Machine back to the time when Java worked.

My disk drive on my computer is dead and so I cant revert to original Snow Leopard.

Maybe uninstalling java completely and reinstalling it might work? If so, how do I do it and where do I get the installer?

Please, if you would not mind, give me a hand.

I can't live without Java!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    What does your crash report say when it crashes? You can also check /Applications/Utilities/Console for error messages.
  • Reply 2 of 9

When opening Java Prefrences, the consol gives me this error :

12-07-22 12:35:36 PM [0x0-0x35035].com.apple.java.JavaPreferences[285] [JavaAppLauncher] Requested [1.5+], launching in [(null)] instead.

12-07-22 12:35:36 PM [0x0-0x35035].com.apple.java.JavaPreferences[285] [JavaAppLauncher Error] unable to find a version of Java to launch

12-07-22 12:35:36 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[118] ([0x0-0x35035].com.apple.java.JavaPreferences[285]) Exited with exit code: 1

When trying but failing the Java Instal update 9, I get this error :

12-07-22 12:43:34 PM com.apple.installd[306] No such file or directory

12-07-22 12:43:44 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.suhelperd[296]) Exited with exit code: 2

When I preform a Disk Utility check on my hard drive, it tells me that I need to repair it. To repair the drive, it sais I need to use my OS CD to launch the computer. I have the OS CD but my CD DVD drive does not work.

• Reply 3 of 9
    You can try repairing your drive by booting into single user mode by holding command-s at boot time.

When the text stops scrolling, type the following hitting return after each line:

mount -uw /
    fsck -fy

When it's done, type reboot and hit return.
  • Reply 4 of 9

Tried to repair again and this time it sais that there is no longer a problem. The thing is, Java is still not working.

I will try out your method, see if I get anywhere.

• Reply 5 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by dredclaw View Post

Tried to repair again and this time it sais that there is no longer a problem. The thing is, Java is still not working.

I will try out your method, see if I get anywhere.

Nope, seems like that tells me that there is nothing wrong with the disk also... So, my disk is not corrupt... Great! Now we are back to square one, Java does not work...

• Reply 6 of 9
    If you type the following in the terminal:

java -version

what does it say?
  • Reply 7 of 9

Unable to locate a Java Runtime to invoke.

• Reply 8 of 9
    dredclaw wrote: »
    Unable to locate a Java Runtime to invoke.

So something has messed up your Java installation completely. That will explain why the update fails.

There is a thread here noting similar behaviour:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2777258?start=0&tstart=0

Some people said that using Pacifist ( http://www.charlessoft.com/ ) to manually install the update 9 installer fixed it. Apple should really have a built-in method to install packages.
  • Reply 9 of 9

Thanks so much marvin, it worked well! I did the pacifist thing and it worked perfectly! :D