Apple denied German injunction of Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Tab 10.1N

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Coming on the heels of an Apple-won EU-wide sales ban of Samsung's Galaxy Tab 7.7, a German court on Thursday ruled that the Galaxy Nexus smartphone and Galaxy Tab 10.1N do not infringe on the Cupertino-based company's patents and are therefore not subject to a sales ban.

The Higher Court of Munich's ruling is actually an appeal of a previous lower court decision from February, reports IDG News Serivce (via PCWorld), and is confirmation that the two Samsung products do not infringe on Apple's European patent related to scrolling on an electronic device.

Following the ruling, Samsung issued a statement saying the decision "confirms our position that the Galaxy Nexus, the Galaxy Tab 10.1N, and the Galaxy Tab 10.1N WiFi do not infringe Apple's intellectual property."

Apple has yet to release an official statement regarding the case.



Thursday's ruling comes two days after Apple won an EU-wide sales ban on Samsung's Galaxy Tab 7.7, a smaller 7-inch model in the company's tablet line. The injunction, ordered by the Dusseldorf Higher Regional Court on Tuesday, also noted that the Galaxy Tab 10.1N did not infringe on Apple's patents and denied a German sales ban.

"Apple has been trying to limit consumer choice and discourage innovation through their excessive and flawed legal arguments. Despite Apple's legal attacks against our user interface, we will continue to further develop and introduce products that enhance the lives of German consumers," Samsung said.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 21
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 4,612member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post



    "Apple has been trying to limit consumer choice and discourage innovation through their excessive and flawed legal arguments. Despite Apple's legal attacks against our user interface, we will continue to further develop and introduce products that enhance the lives of German consumers," Samsung said.


     


    Screw you Scamsung.  You supposedly care about choice for the consumer?  Develop your own damn products and stop using Apple as your R&D department.

  • Reply 2 of 21
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


     


    Screw you Scamsung.  You supposedly care about choice for the consumer?  Develop your own damn products and stop using Apple as your R&D department.



    much hate in this one

  • Reply 3 of 21
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post


    much hate in this one



     


    image

  • Reply 4 of 21
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,017member
    sflocal wrote: »
    Screw you Scamsung.  You supposedly care about choice for the consumer?  Develop your own damn products and stop using Apple as your R&D department.

    That German court begs to differ.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 192member


    Vorsprung durch Technik


     

  • Reply 6 of 21
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Interesting how these rulings seem so much more balanced when Judge Koh is taken out of the equation.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,743member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


     


    Screw you Scamsung.  You supposedly care about choice for the consumer?  Develop your own damn products and stop using Apple as your R&D department.



     


    Not just Samsung. It's endemic to almost the entire industry. Without Apple they're lost. 

  • Reply 8 of 21
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


     


    Screw you Scamsung.  You supposedly care about choice for the consumer?  Develop your own damn products and stop using Apple as your R&D department.



     


    "... When Apple was developing its campaign to promote the first iPhone, it


    considered – and rejected – advertisements that touted alleged Apple ?firsts with the iPhone. As

    one Apple employee explained to an overly exuberant Apple marketer, I don‘t know how many

    things we can come up with that you can legitimately claim we did first. Certainly we have the

    first successful versions of many features, but that‘s different than launching something to market

    first. In this vein, the employee methodically explained that Palm, Nokia

    and others had first invented the iPhone‘s most prominent features. Id."


     


    I'm getting a bit tired of Apple fanbois claiming Apple's non-existence R&D department.

  • Reply 9 of 21
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    Not just Samsung. It's endemic to almost the entire industry. Without Apple they're lost. 



     


    Yes.


     


    Here's a logo that always makes me chuckle when I see it:


     


     


    image

  • Reply 10 of 21
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 4,612member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GTR View Post


     


    Yes.


     


    Here's a logo that always makes me chuckle when I see it:


     


     


    image





    I crack up when I see that too.  :)



    Seems the trolls infesting this Apple enthusiast forum seem unusually quiet on this one too... 

  • Reply 11 of 21
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 4,612member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post



    Interesting how these rulings seem so much more balanced when Judge Koh is taken out of the equation.




    I'm sorry... is this the same Judge Koh that originally sided with Samsung before getting slapped by the appeals court?  Is that the Koh you're referring to?  I can't keep em straight...


    You fanboys were peeing your pants when Judge Koh sided with Samsung.  Seems you like to flip-flop about as much as all those tablets you own.

  • Reply 12 of 21
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post


     


    "... When Apple was developing its campaign to promote the first iPhone, it


    considered – and rejected – advertisements that touted alleged Apple ?firsts with the iPhone. As

    one Apple employee explained to an overly exuberant Apple marketer, I don‘t know how many

    things we can come up with that you can legitimately claim we did first. Certainly we have the

    first successful versions of many features, but that‘s different than launching something to market

    first. In this vein, the employee methodically explained that Palm, Nokia

    and others had first invented the iPhone‘s most prominent features. Id."


     


    I'm getting a bit tired of Apple fanbois claiming Apple's non-existence R&D department.



     


    But one thing you do have to consider is the risk.  Once you have 8 or 10 things, and you figure out which 3 or 4 become the 'secret sauce' that makes a phone 'marketable,' and to risk the billion or so to exploit that in the marketplace,  you sort of want to retain your 'first mover' status as long as possible.   I guess if you can patent that (and you can), then that's the way you maximize your investment.   Is it 'good' for society?  One would say it increases the cost (mini monopoly), others would say it drives innovation (can't use that... think of something better).    The question (as stated in another thread), is once something becomes the people's choice as a defacto standard (the iOS multi-touch gestures, for example), how long before before those 'must be' in the public domain, or at least minimally FRANDed (even though it's not a interoperational Stds issue vis. networking)


     


    For example, Fonts are patented... aren't they all derivative designs from someone painting the letters 'a' 'b' 'c' onto parchment?   and how much tweaking is required before a it moves from being 'helvetica' to 'arial'?    

  • Reply 13 of 21
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member


    I still don't see how if you didn't invent something you can claim ownership of it and accuse someone of copying your ideas. By definition you are copying the person who did invent it and simply putting a different face on it. The original idea isn't yours. Apple didn't invent the tablet computer or the smartphone so I fail to see how they claim ownership of a generic design.


     


    I can however see how Apple might "own" the software inventions they created like tap to zoom and the rubber band (I'm assuming they have the patents for those things). I don't know why they don't simply drop the whole "it looks like ours" crap and just go for the specifics. Trying to ban the Samsung devices will only create added publicity for them and anti-Apple resentment. Remember the famous 1984 advert poking fun at Big Bad IBM - well the way they are going it will end up as Big Bad Apple with Samsung et al as the underdogs fighting an all powerful bully.


     


    I'm sure the fanbois (oops sorry what are we supposed to call them now - fanples?) will disagree. I'm not making an anti-Apple comment just an observation. Anyway I don't care, the Olympics are nearly here so I have more important things to think about for the next few weeks. Go Team GB.

  • Reply 14 of 21
    A german court cannot issue A ban of any product for all Of Europe. the ban only applies in germany
  • Reply 16 of 21
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member


    Noticing that when Apple loses they never comment. Don't know why we keep on seeing "Apple did not comment at time of publishing" in these articles. 


     


    Apple only speak when they win, when they lose they go in a corner and cry or something and say they are not coming out of their room to talk to anybody cause Samsung is a big poopy head, lol. 


     


    Would be better if they release an official statement saying "SCREW YOU SANSUCKS, SUCK OUR ****, YOU MOTHER *****. As far as apple is concerned this judge can EAT A ****. "


     


    Would respect them more. 

  • Reply 17 of 21
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post


     


    But one thing you do have to consider is the risk.  Once you have 8 or 10 things, and you figure out which 3 or 4 become the 'secret sauce' that makes a phone 'marketable,' and to risk the billion or so to exploit that in the marketplace,  you sort of want to retain your 'first mover' status as long as possible.   I guess if you can patent that (and you can), then that's the way you maximize your investment.   Is it 'good' for society?  One would say it increases the cost (mini monopoly), others would say it drives innovation (can't use that... think of something better).    The question (as stated in another thread), is once something becomes the people's choice as a defacto standard (the iOS multi-touch gestures, for example), how long before before those 'must be' in the public domain, or at least minimally FRANDed (even though it's not a interoperational Stds issue vis. networking)


     


    For example, Fonts are patented... aren't they all derivative designs from someone painting the letters 'a' 'b' 'c' onto parchment?   and how much tweaking is required before a it moves from being 'helvetica' to 'arial'?    



     


    Wow, didn't even know fonts are patented. That just blew my mind thinking about lawyers arguing about the curved tail of a common case j obviously infringing on their patent, lol. 


     


    What's next, they gonna grant patents for colors? image


     


    huh? what's that? T-mobile has the rights to magenta?


    http://www.colourlovers.com/blog/2007/11/04/beware-t-mobile-owns-the-color-magenta/


     


    well aint that a b****. This is getting out of control. 

  • Reply 18 of 21
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post


    Noticing that when Apple loses they never comment. Don't know why we keep on seeing "Apple did not comment at time of publishing" in these articles. 


     


    Apple only speak when they win, when they lose they go in a corner and cry or something and say they are not coming out of their room to talk to anybody cause Samsung is a big poopy head, lol. 


     


    Would be better if they release an official statement saying "SCREW YOU SANSUCKS, SUCK OUR ****, YOU MOTHER *****. As far as apple is concerned this judge can EAT A ****. "


     


    Would respect them more. 



     


    What an interesting quote.


     


    Are you aware of just how much of your personality you just revealed to us all?

  • Reply 19 of 21
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GTR View Post


     


    What an interesting quote.


     


    Are you aware of just how much of your personality you just revealed to us all?



    Ah, the anonymity of the internet.....gotta love it. 

  • Reply 20 of 21
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member


    deleted

Sign In or Register to comment.