Apple's iPad further dominates with 68% share of tablets shipped

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmiku View Post

Ever since I started visiting this site I feel strange I don't have an iPad. 

AI is one place where you don't want to use an iPad..... the functionality (of the site) truly sucks on iOS! image

• Reply 22 of 40
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    just_me wrote: »
    Kindle Fire was complete garbage

Yeah,did you notice how all the tech websites like c|net wet their pants when the Fire came out, declaring it to be gold standard for small tablets? Fast forward to today and you can't find an article about the Fire anywhere.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    If Apple is able to command most of the world's handset profits with only a fraction of the handset sales, and is able to command over 1/3 of the world's PC profits with only about 5-7% of the PC sales, I wonder how much of the tablet market's profit they are abel to command with 68% of tablet shipments?
  • Reply 24 of 40
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    ronbo wrote: »
    Of course, all the iPads Apple ships are actually sold to consumers. What percentage of the other tablets are? Talk about a misleading statistic.
    Guess what! A substantial part of the andriod tablets actually sold, are bought by DaHarder.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

"shipped" = sold to cutomer for apple

"shipped" for all the others means sold to retailers (in the channel), not to customer.

i imagine shipped means both for Apple, as they sell iPads at several big box retailers.  

• Reply 26 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by madhatter61 View Post

Microsoft's Surface is vapor ware.  It doesn't exist.  How can the writer include market share number by mentioning products not even on the market.  Today, as far as I know, no one has even tested one beyond Microsoft.  Yet, it is going to take over the world.  Excuse me

You're right. At this stage of the game the Surface is nothing more then a few prototypes that can't make it through a highly controlled demo. Monkey boy need to roll up one of those rubber keyboards and smoke it. 

My gut feeling is that Windows 8 will be a bigger flop than Vista and Surface will sell as well as Longhorn.

• Reply 27 of 40
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    richl wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see what happens when the Nexus 7 numbers kick in. It's seen a lot of hype, it's widely available and the price is very reasonable. That didn't stop the Kindle Fire from largely failing though.

I actually almost bought one. I thought its smaller size might be usefull for when I am working out on the road and not putting my iPad 3 at risk for theft or damage.
    After poking around the Google Play store to see how many of my favorite apps we're available. That market place is a big steaming pile of pig poo. No brainier, I decided to pass.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Yeah,did you notice how all the tech websites like c|net wet their pants when the Fire came out, declaring it to be gold standard for small tablets? Fast forward to today and you can't find an article about the Fire anywhere.

Gold standard is the nexus. Cant beat its price/performance value

• Reply 29 of 40
    raptoroo7raptoroo7 Posts: 140member

The question has to be asked, how did Samsung take sales away from Apple?  Clearly their tablet sales didn't impact Apple, their iPhone sales weren't affected since they continue to grow and grow year over year.  People who buy a Samsung Android phone do so because that is what they want, they didn't go in and say wow that Samsung phone is running iOS since everyone knows if it doesn't have an Apple logo it's not Apple.

• Reply 30 of 40
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

The question has to be asked, how did Samsung take sales away from Apple?  Clearly their tablet sales didn't impact Apple, their iPhone sales weren't affected since they continue to grow and grow year over year.  People who buy a Samsung Android phone do so because that is what they want, they didn't go in and say wow that Samsung phone is running iOS since everyone knows if it doesn't have an Apple logo it's not Apple.

Not all. Idots must be protected too

• Reply 31 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

…their iPhone sales weren't affected since they continue to grow and grow year over year.

Yeah, that… certainly proves… 

… 

????

People who buy a Samsung Android phone do so because that is what they want, they didn't go in and say wow that Samsung phone is running iOS since everyone knows if it doesn't have an Apple logo it's not Apple.

That's just not right at all. If it happens with the tablets, it happens with the phones.

• Reply 32 of 40
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmiku View Post

Ever since I started visiting this site I feel strange I don't have an iPad. 

Join us.  Jooooooooiiiiiiin usssssss.  Joooooooooooooooooooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin usssssssssssssssss.

• Reply 33 of 40
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's just not right at all. If it happens with the tablets, it happens with the phones.

Agreed. I know a couple people who have an iPad and hey can’t remember WHAT it is—they call it a laptop or “my thing” and the names “Apple” and “iPad” are not foremost in their mind, much less logos. They obviously had help even choosing to buy tablets at all (good call in my view). They just have zero interest in technology, and little experience. They’ve probably used computers (with difficulty) for nothing but email and weather for years—if even that. Now they are doing much more!

And they are surely FAR better served by an iPad than any other computing device, tablet or otherwise, that has ever been made.

If they’d gone into a store and asked for an “iPad" on the advice of a friend or relative, and the salesperson picked up on their cluelessness and said, “this is the tablet you want, because Apple won’t limit the apps it has,” and sold them a Samsung... they’d take it and never realize what they were giving up.

• Reply 34 of 40
    xrcxxrcx Posts: 117member

My gf has a Kindle fire (which is broken now) and despite all of the kindle hype and my many attempts to give it a chance it just does not compare in any way to my Ipad its almost like its not in the same genre of electronic devices.

• Reply 35 of 40
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Anecdotally, I bought a 7" tablet two years ago. Pretty bad experience. I went and got and iPad.

My friend got his wife a Kindle Fire. She never uses it.

That's all I know. 7" is not really a tablet. Like someone else here said. Tablet in the sense of being useful for web pages and magazines and PDFs.

I was going to buy a Nexus for PDFs, since I have  a Nook (Android!), but I read the Nexus sucks with PDFs due to the memory caps. Buffer or something.

There you go.

• Reply 36 of 40
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View PostI was going to buy a Nexus for PDFs, since I have  a Nook (Android!), but I read the Nexus sucks with PDFs due to the memory caps. Buffer or something.

There you go.

I've not seen that mentioned at all and a search doesn't offer any hits. I think it's fine for PDF's. The one I've used a few times recently had EZPDF Reader. . . I think. I'll double-check that. I can say I was impressed with how responsive it was and voice searches are amazingly fast. It's far better than my wife's Nook Color. Silly to even compare the two IMO. 

• Reply 37 of 40
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    raptoroo7 wrote: »
     People who buy a Samsung Android phone do so because that is what they want, they didn't go in and say wow that Samsung phone is running iOS since everyone knows if it doesn't have an Apple logo it's not Apple.

Apparently, Samsung doesn't agree with you. They reported to the court that the largest reason for returns at Best Buy was that people thought they were buying an iPhone and when the got home, they found out it was a Tab.

Besides, please explain why Samsung discarded dozens of prototypes that looked very little like the iPhone and iPad in order to select the one that looks closest to the iPhone and iPad appearance? And why did they make their packaging such a close copy? Why did they make their chargers such a close copy? Why did they make the cable such a close copy (30 pins is the only way to build a cable, right?)? It's obvious that Samsung went to a great deal of trouble to make their product look like Apple's. Why did they do that since you're convinced that no consumer would ever be fooled?
  • Reply 38 of 40

in any case iPad is the best tablet

• Reply 39 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

AI is one place where you don't want to use an iPad..... the functionality (of the site) truly sucks on iOS! image

Agreed! I always view AI on my MacBook Air.

Perhaps the iOS 6 upgrade will change this functionality.

• Reply 40 of 40

Originally Posted by AdrianJNYC View Post

Perhaps the iOS 6 upgrade will change this functionality.

Why would it? The site is what holds up usability, not your OS.