Side-by-side iPhone, Galaxy S comparison revealed in internal Samsung 'evaluation report'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In an effort to prove a willful infringement on its design patents, Apple on Friday presented internal Samsung documents in court containing side-by-side comparisons of the iPhone and what would eventually become the Galaxy S smartphone.

A number of documents came out in the Apple v. Samsung trial during the questioning of Samsung chief strategy officer Justin Denison, who was called upon by Apple to testify on behalf of the Samsung Electronics Corp., Samsung Electronics America, and Samsung Telecommunications America. According to CNet, Apple attorney William Lee presented Denison as someone with comprehensive knowledge of Samsung's product development strategies.

During Denison's initial testimony, Lee got straight to the point and asked if Samsung had ever tried to copy Apple's designs. Denison unsurprisingly claimed the company did not. Lee then presented to the Court internal Samsung documents, some of which were titled "Beat Apple response," "Recent Apple analysis project" and "iPhone 5 counter strategy."

Perhaps the most significant exhibit was a document dated March 2, 2010 titled "Relative evaluation report on S1, iPhone" which contained side-by-side pictures of the iPhone's interface and that of the Galaxy S. Samsung reportedly called for suggestions or "improvements" in highlighted areas where specific software assets differed between the two devices. An example suggestion was to change the appearance of Galaxy S UI iconography.

Justin Denison
Samsung Chief Strategy Officer Justin Denison. | Source: Samsung

In Samsung's cross-examination, Denison argued Apple's designs were borne out of necessity rather than being innovative, reiterating the company's stance that the iPhone and iPad patents are not unique because they describe "rectangles." Kevin Packingham, Samsung's chief product officer, said much the same recently, stating that he finds it "unreasonable that we?re fighting over rectangles, that that?s being considered as an infringement."

Denison points out that a device with rounded-corners is simply logical, noting that "if you drop it, it's much more likely not to crack if it's rounded."

The Denison testimony, which followed those of Apple marketing executive Phil Schiller and iOS chief Scott Forstall, wrapped up Friday's court proceedings. Apple v. Samsung is scheduled to reconvene on Monday with Apple witness Wookyun Kho, a Samsung engineer who will likely answer questions pertaining to certain proprietary UI elements like the company's "blue glow" overscroll feature.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 407
    Busted.
  • Reply 2 of 407
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    As ALL companies likely 'size up' their wares against the competition, and then seek to improve upon said competition's efforts.

Apple has made a complete industry out of doing exactly this... Inventing Nothing but Improving Upon What Others Already Created.
  • Reply 3 of 407
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

As ALL companies likely 'size up' their wares against the competition, and then seek to improve upon said competition's efforts.

Apple has made a complete industry out of doing exactly this... Inventing Nothing but Improving Upon What Others Already Created.

Why the **** are you here if you don't think Apple as a company deserves a shred of credit and don't like any of their products? I'm serious. Why? Why waste your time on an Apple fan site?

• Reply 4 of 407
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Quote:

Sizing-up the competition is one thing.  Taking a product, rubber-stamping it and putting your own logo on it is something else.

Jeez... I want to think you're just trolling based on your history, but sometimes (and more-so than usual now) I really think you believe your own made-up propaganda as fact.  Get some help.. seriously.  

• Reply 5 of 407
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member

Quote:

To the extent that Apple's successes have given rise to complete industries based on copying them, yes. If you'd meant that, you'd have been making sense. But you didn't, and you weren't. Do not take pride in blindness.

• Reply 6 of 407
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

You know, I used to take your posts as something from somebody who was just unaware or ill-informed.

I have since realised that it's because you're just not as smart as my phone. When it's turned off.

Why don't you go find something you enjoy and complain about it elsewhere...

• Reply 7 of 407
    ronbo wrote: »
    To the extent that Apple's successes have given rise to complete industries based on copying them, yes. If you'd meant that, you'd have been making sense. But you didn't, and you weren't. Do not take pride in blindness.

There is really only one thing worse than slavish copyists. Their slavish enablers.

There's a bunch of them here -- everyone knows who they are -- and they're incorrigibly relentless. Don't even bother responding.
  • Reply 8 of 407
    ufwaufwa Posts: 64member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Perhaps the most significant exhibit was a document dated March 2, 2010 titled "Relative evaluation report on S1, iPhone" which contained side-by-side pictures of the iPhone's interface and that of the Galaxy S. Samsung reportedly called for suggestions or "improvements" in highlighted areas where specific software assets differed between the two devices. An example suggestion was to change the appearance of Galaxy S UI icons.

This is just wrong.

from the CNET article that is linked.

"Once of the examples was a suggestion to alter the look of on-screen iconography, the apps users see on screen."

Suggesting that they change what the icon's appearance vs suggesting that they change what apps the users see on screen are two different things. 

• Reply 9 of 407

Quote:

Originally Posted by ufwa View Post

This is just wrong.

"Once of the examples was a suggestion to alter the look of on-screen iconography, the apps users see on screen."

Suggesting that they change what the icon's appearance vs suggesting that they change what apps the users see on screen are two different things. 

It is common knowledge that Samsung stole Apple's icons.

• Reply 10 of 407
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    ufwa wrote: »
    Perhaps the most significant exhibit was a document dated March 2, 2010 titled "Relative evaluation report on S1, iPhone" which contained side-by-side pictures of the iPhone's interface and that of the Galaxy S. Samsung reportedly called for suggestions or "improvements" in highlighted areas where specific software assets differed between the two devices. An example suggestion was to change the appearance of Galaxy S UI icons.

This is just wrong.

I think that it is just a badly written sentence, with the last clause trying to explain, rather unnecessarily I would have thought, which "on-screen iconography" it is referring to.
  • Reply 11 of 407
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

how is sammy changing the icons to the same color and style of Apple's icons improving them? Why couldn't Sammy make their own icons or keep the default Android icons?

• Reply 12 of 407

So explain to me how Samsung doing a comparison to the competition is ANY different than the article before this one that says that Apple thought the 7" Tablet would be a good idea after looking at the Samsung 7" Tablet?

Apple is digging a hole it can't fill except with cash.  So I'd guess Steve will get his wish.  Apple will spend every last dollar to destroy Android OS.

This is what this entire trial is about.  

Here's a good article

Apple slips, Android big winner in China during Q2

A new report by Canalys finds that during the second quarter, Android was the operating system on 81 percent of smartphone shipments in China -- which accounted for some 27 percent of global smartphone shipments overall. (By comparison, the United States accounted for 16 percent.)

Globally, Android continued to surge and passed 100 million quarterly smartphone shipments for the first time, according to the report. More than 42 million smartphones got shipped in China out of the total 158 million shipped worldwide during the quarter, according to Canalys.

Samsung was the No. 1 smartphone vendor in China during the quarter, with a 17 percent share, followed by ZTE, Lenovo, and Huawei. Apple saw its shipments more than double year over year, but they were still down 37 percent compared with the first quarter of this year, leaving the company in fifth place."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57486377-94/apple-slips-android-big-winner-in-china-during-q2/

• Reply 13 of 407

So explain to me how Samsung doing a comparison to the competition is ANY different than the article before this one that says that Apple thought the 7" Tablet would be a good idea after looking at the Samsung 7" Tablet?

Apple is digging a hole it can't fill except with cash.  So I'd guess Steve will get his wish.  Apple will spend every last dollar to destroy Android OS.

This is what this entire trial is about.  

Here's a good article

Apple slips, Android big winner in China during Q2

A new report by Canalys finds that during the second quarter, Android was the operating system on 81 percent of smartphone shipments in China -- which accounted for some 27 percent of global smartphone shipments overall. (By comparison, the United States accounted for 16 percent.)

Globally, Android continued to surge and passed 100 million quarterly smartphone shipments for the first time, according to the report. More than 42 million smartphones got shipped in China out of the total 158 million shipped worldwide during the quarter, according to Canalys.

Samsung was the No. 1 smartphone vendor in China during the quarter, with a 17 percent share, followed by ZTE, Lenovo, and Huawei. Apple saw its shipments more than double year over year, but they were still down 37 percent compared with the first quarter of this year, leaving the company in fifth place."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57486377-94/apple-slips-android-big-winner-in-china-during-q2/

• Reply 14 of 407

• Reply 15 of 407

• Reply 16 of 407

I think the difference is in the detail. Firstly, tablet size has never been an issue; Apple never complained that other companies produced 10" tablets. Secondly, if Apple substantially copied Samsung's design (disregarding whether Samsung's design may have been copied from Apple in the first place), then that would be an issue, but no evidence has been presented to that effect. Or are you suggesting that Samsung has patented the concept of a 7" tablet, irrespective of what it looks like?
  • Reply 17 of 407
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jungmark wrote: »

how is sammy changing the icons to the same color and style of Apple's icons improving them? Why couldn't Sammy make their own icons or keep the default Android icons?

All that was obvious, don't cha know. There is absolutely no other way to way to do anything except the way Apple does it... though surprisingly only right after Apple does it.

Seriously though, it's unbelievable people could actually defend this type of behavior for a company. Even if you like Samsung their fans should at least have the ability to be reasonably fair and honest. It's all sounding quite pathetic that what DaHarder once said was stupid, dumb, pointless, and guaranteed to fail he's now saying was natural, obvious, and self-evident.
  • Reply 18 of 407
    solipsismx wrote: »

All that was obvious, don't cha know. There is absolutely no other way to way to do anything except the way Apple does it... though surprisingly only right after Apple does it.

The entire situation - in a nutshell.
  • Reply 19 of 407
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Why the **** are you here if you don't think Apple as a company deserves a shred of credit and don't like any of their products? I'm serious. Why? Why waste your time on an Apple fan site?

Just because I happen to own dozens upon dozens of Apple products doesn't mean that they do no wrong.... It's a Tech Company, Not A Cult.

• Reply 20 of 407
    daharder wrote: »
    slurpy wrote: »

Just because I happen to own dozens upon dozens of Apple products doesn't mean that they do no wrong.... It's a Tech Company, Not A Cult.

Maybe you missed the point of the post. It's not that they do nothing wrong, it's that according to you they do nothing right. Can you point to a single positive post you have ever made about Apple or Apple products.