Apple's new iPhone and iOS 6 will wake you up to your favorite song

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Among the more than 200 new features that Apple plans to incorporate into next month's release of iOS 6 will be an update to the software's alarm clock application that will have you stumbling out of bed in the morning to your favorite tune.

The little-mentioned feature, which originally turned up in the first betas of iOS 6 back in June, is bound to become on of the most adopted creature comforts of the company's new mobile operating system.

A study conducted last year by YouGov found that nearly 60% of all smartphone users age 16-34 employ their handset as their primary time piece, with roughly 25% of those users saying they also rely on their phones to wake them up in the morning.

While the current version of iOS 5 restricts alarm sounds to Apple's pre-defined ringtones or those purchased via the company's iTunes Store, the release of iOS 6.0 will offer the option for users to designate any song in their iTunes playlist as their custom wake up tune at no additional cost.

The option is available under the "Sound" selector when setting a new alarm or editing an existing alarm under the latest iOS beta. When the software makes its debut in a few weeks, you'll have the option to "Pick a song" from your iTunes playlist or quickly select a previously chosen song before confirming each alarm.



The enhancements to the alarm clock on the iPhone (and iPod touch) will also make their way to the iPad with the debut of the first Apple-authored Clock application for the tablet, which AppleInsider detailed back in June.





iOS 6.0 is expected to make its debut in early September, around the time that Apple officially takes the wraps of its next-generation iPhone on September 12th.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 35


    I tried this feature, found it to be annoying.  Back to the same alert tone I always use...Jetson's doorbell.  

  • Reply 2 of 35
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member


    The "alarm" feature for the clock does this now.  It's done this as long as I can remember.

  • Reply 3 of 35
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member


    As an aside, I hope Apple patches the bug addled 10.8 before it takes a bite out of IOS 6.

  • Reply 4 of 35


    Ah, at last I can be like Phil and wake to I Got You Babe.


     


    Boom.

  • Reply 5 of 35
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post


    The "alarm" feature for the clock does this now.  It's done this as long as I can remember.



     


    I don't see it on mine.  Just ringtones and built-in sounds.  


     


    I like these developments in that they have covered off two of the three reasons why iPhone doesn't work well as an alarm clock (the "do not disturb" mode being the second one).  If they could make the iPhone sit in the charger in landscape mode it would be solved completely. 

  • Reply 6 of 35
    cpr1cpr1 Posts: 41member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post


    The "alarm" feature for the clock does this now.  It's done this as long as I can remember.



    I know that you can fall asleep to music in your library using the timer function but I certainly can't find a way to wake to my music using the alarm function.  Please post a screen shot.

  • Reply 7 of 35


    The speed of innovation coming out of Apple these last 3 revisions of the iPhone are staggering. I only hope my mom will not be frightened by the new iPhone.

     

  • Reply 8 of 35
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member


    Nice, although iPods have done this for ages... granted, they had no speaker so it was less useful!


     


    I hope it can run a whole playlist and not just a single song. On my old iPod I made an alarm playlist of songs that got gradually more obnoxious and grating if I didn’t haul my hindquarters out of bed.

  • Reply 9 of 35


    It's about time! My iPod from 2005 could do this and I have no idea why it's taken this long to integrate such a simple and obvious feature into iOS. Maybe they were trying to make room for third party alarm clock apps?

  • Reply 10 of 35
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,459member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post



    ...




    The little-mentioned feature, which originally turned up in the first betas of iOS 6 back in June, is bound to become on of the most adopted creature comforts of the company's new mobile operating system.


    ...


     


    A feature that has been available in Alarm Clock Pro for well over 1 year and maybe even 2....and I bet most 3rd party apps already do that.

  • Reply 11 of 35


    Pro Tip:


     


    Don't use your favorite song as an alarm.  Use your least favorite song.  You're more likely to actually get up if you are immediately filled with rage every morning instead of joy.


     


    A country music radio station got me up for college every morning.

  • Reply 12 of 35
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sgerstacker View Post


    Pro Tip:


     


    Don't use your favorite song as an alarm.  Use your least favorite song.  You're more likely to actually get up if you are immediately filled with rage every morning instead of joy.


     


    A country music radio station got me up for college every morning.



     


    So I can't set it to rock some Taylor Swift to get me up? :)

  • Reply 13 of 35
    Bill Gates and Gonorrhea in the same screenshot. Nice ! ;)
  • Reply 14 of 35
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post


     


    I don't see it on mine.  Just ringtones and built-in sounds.  


     


    I like these developments in that they have covered off two of the three reasons why iPhone doesn't work well as an alarm clock (the "do not disturb" mode being the second one).  If they could make the iPhone sit in the charger in landscape mode it would be solved completely. 



    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0052G679K/ref=dp_otherviews_z_3?ie=UTF8&img=3&s=wireless


     


     


    Solved completely.


    You're welcome.

  • Reply 15 of 35

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Farshad Foroudi View Post


    The speed of innovation coming out of Apple these last 3 revisions of the iPhone are staggering. I only hope my mom will not be frightened by the new iPhone.

     



    I would count this as a marginal innovation. A million clock apps of every variety have had it for years now..... I'll bet Apple just bought one that had the IP.

  • Reply 16 of 35
    Lol i was doing this two and a half years ago on android. Cracks me up that apple is so far behind on many features. Oh well. I still look forward to getting my first iphone next month. Have always loved my touch.
  • Reply 17 of 35

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by CustardCar View Post


    Ah, at last I can be like Phil and wake to I Got You Babe.


     


    Boom.





    LOL Let's hope Ned Ryerson doesn't find out about this!

  • Reply 18 of 35
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member


    Please. Kust remove this story. It's just embarrassing. If any one was sighting this as a feature of other phone maker, we would all be laughing. ("Oh wow!! <sarc>)


    dozens of cheap and free apps that do this. Fine that Apple will build it in, but doesn't warrant a story. Now; if it can play your favorite internet radio stream; then you've got me. (I don't understand why so few of these Apps include that capability)

  • Reply 19 of 35
    It is about time that the iPad got the alarm. That was so stupid for it to not be included. Looks like the decked it out for iPad though. Of course the phone version would have been better than nothIng.

    Don't care about the music feature so much since I have my favorite song clips as ringtones and use some for alarms too. More convenient using songs though.

    Welcomed changes all around.
  • Reply 20 of 35

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post


    The "alarm" feature for the clock does this now.  It's done this as long as I can remember.





    Only for ringtones, which is what the article says.

Sign In or Register to comment.