iOS, Android adoption now twice as fast as 1990s Internet boom

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new study concludes that the rate of adoption of devices running Apple's iOS and Google's Android has surpassed that of any consumer technology in history.

Adoption of iOS and Android devices is now occurring ten times faster than the growth of PCs in the 1980s, and is also growing twice as fast as the Internet boom of the 1990s, according to the latest data from research firm Flurry. Adoption of devices running iOS and Android is also occurring three times faster than recent social network adoption.

Flurry's numbers show that there were more than 640 million iOS and Android devices in use during the month of July, with 165 million of those found in the U.S. But adoption of iOS and Android devices is growing at the greatest clip internationally.

In particular, China is now poised to surpass the U.S. as the largest market for active iOS and Android devices. China currently has an estimated 128 million total combined active devices, but is growing at a rate of 401 percent year over year, making it the fastest growing market for iOS and Android devices in the world.

The U.S., meanwhile, is one of the most saturated markets in the world for what Flurry refers to as "smart devices." It estimates that 78 percent of adults ages 15 to 64 years old are active smart device users.

Flurry

The numbers show why Apple has placed considerable efforts into China in recent years, where the company has seen tremendous growth as Chinese customers rapidly adopt Apple's products. China has been a particular focus for Apple with the recent launch of Mountain Lion and the iOS 6 update coming later this year, both of which sport new features aimed at Chinese users.

Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook said in April during a quarterly earnings call that the company's revenue in China has been "mind-boggling." The region brought in $7.39 billion in revenue during the March quarter, driven largely by iPhone sales, which were up five times that of the year ago quarter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The numbers show why Apple has placed considerable efforts into China in recent years

Well, that makes sense, given CHina does have the largest population in the world. What is it 1/6th of the world's pop. is in China?

• Reply 2 of 14

lol.. i wrote 2 nice posts (as pedromcm) about this on Cnet.. those fandroids are going berserk on that site.

• Reply 3 of 14

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    What does the IOS/Android split look like ? 50/50 ?

function SOswitchMenu() {var el = document.getElementById('bodyDiv');if ( el.style.display != "none" ) { el.style.display = 'none';}else { el.style.display = '';}var el2 = document.getElementById('h2');if ( el2.className == "calHeader goog-zippy-expanded normalText" ) { el2.className = "calHeader goog-zippy-collapsed normalText";return;}if ( el2.className == "calHeader goog-zippy-collapsed normalText" ) { el2.className = "calHeader goog-zippy-expanded normalText";return;}}

function SOframeReload() {var f = document.getElementById('soFrame');f.src = f.src;}
  • Reply 4 of 14
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

Well, that makes sense, given CHina does have the largest population in the world. What is it 1/6th of the world's pop. is in China?

1/7th but then India is nearly as populated, so I expect that to be the next big push.

• Reply 5 of 14
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

1/7th but then India is nearly as populated, so I expect that to be the next big push.

Oh, I thought India had outstripped China by now. They're set to, at any rate.

• Reply 6 of 14

• Reply 7 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

lol.. i wrote 2 nice posts (as pedromcm) about this on Cnet.. those fandroids are going berserk on that site.

Wow.  You're a Troll and a Loser... (usually goes hand in hand).

• Reply 8 of 14
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Yeah, but I think more wealth is being created in China.  Population is one thing, but if they don't have any money, then you can't sell them anything.

China has these Foxconn factory workers making little money, but the desk jobs in China are becoming as wealthy as US workers in the big cities.

I haven't compared the white collar jobs in China vs India in terms of disposable income. I know India has a growing population of engineers, but that is a small segment of their entire population.

I think China has a bigger amount of wealthier people that can afford a smartphone.

• Reply 9 of 14
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, I thought India had outstripped China by now. They're set to, at any rate.

Population wise but not wealth wise.

Here is an interesting Wikipedia page on income per capita as of 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

• Reply 10 of 14
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    So far I haven't seen anyone project what the secondary effects of this technology roll out will be. A computer in everyone's pocket is going to produce an entirely different economy.

Where's the new Marshall McLuhan? He wrote [I]The Gutenberg Galaxy[/I] to cover the effects of the printing press. The new reading should be called [I]The Jobs Revolution[/I].

Android would be as RiM or Nokia were it not for the iPhone.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

So far I haven't seen anyone project what the secondary effects of this technology roll out will be. A computer in everyone's pocket is going to produce an entirely different economy.

Where's the new Marshall McLuhan? He wrote The Gutenberg Galaxy to cover the effects of the printing press. The new reading should be called The Jobs Revolution.

Android would be as RiM or Nokia were it not for the iPhone.

Look up information about Ray Kurzweil and his projections, especially his opinions on "The Singularity".

• Reply 12 of 14
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Look up information about Ray Kurzweil and his projections, especially his opinions on "The Singularity".

No, thanks, I know about Kurzweil. I was thinking of someone who keeps our relation to Nature in perspective. Anyone who thinks we can divorce ourselves from our organic ancestry should maybe smoke more pot, or eat some mushrooms once in a while.

Just kidding, of course.
  • Reply 13 of 14

Does anyone want to let MicroSoft and Balmer know about this?

• Reply 14 of 14

I think i'm right on this, China's population is 1.3 billion but still half live in poverty.

Not for long, I would imagine! :)