Japan court rules Samsung does not infringe Apple patents

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A Japanese court on Friday ruled against Apple's claim that Samsung infringed on one of its utility patents, handing the Korean company a small victory after its punishing loss in a similar U.S. case.

The Tokyo District Court ruled that Samsung's products do not infringe upon an Apple patent for transferring media content between two devices, reports Reuters.

Further reports from Bloomberg note that Judge Tamotsu Shoji handed down the verdict, ruling Samsung?s Galaxy devices including the Galaxy Tab, are not in violation of Apple?s Patent No. 4,204,977 for synchronizing music and video data in devices to servers.

Apple first sued Samsung in Japan last year, asserting claims against the Galaxy S, Galaxy Tab and Galaxy S II, seeking 100 million yen in damages. The Galaxy-series of products in Japan is offered by NTT DoCoMo Inc. (9437), the country?s biggest mobile-phone company.

The ruling comes on the heels of the landmark Apple v. Samsung U.S. trial that found Samsung in violation of six Apple design and utility patents. Apple was ultimately awarded over $1 billion and is now seeking the permanent sales ban of eight infringing devices.

Developing
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 74


    This proves that Samsung didn't steal Apple's ideas of a rectangle with rounded edges!


    It also proves that Samsung's CEO's Ferrari isn't stolen: http://jalopnik.com/5938587/does-the-billionaire-ceo-of-samsung-own-a-stolen-15-million-ferrari

    /sarcasm

  • Reply 2 of 74

    deleted
  • Reply 3 of 74


    Apple is one and only evil in this industry.


    if apple become vanish, there are no patent war in smart phone/tablet world.


    Remeber, Apple is one who pursue this way.


    Samsung, Moto, HTC, Android are defense move.


     


    Samsung punished by american court, because they are foreign company who challenge america's most biggest company.

  • Reply 4 of 74


    Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

    Apple is one and only evil in this industry.


    if apple become vanish, there are no patent war in smart phone/tablet world.


    Remeber, Apple is one who pursue this way.


    Samsung, Moto, HTC, Android are defense move.



     


    Oh, you're back. I'm so thrilled. How'd you take the utter failure of your company? Please don't devolve into slapppy-level "Apple will fail, just watch" comments. 


     


    Apple is the one that wanted Samsung to license things. Samsung did not. Samsung is the one that chose lawsuits.

  • Reply 5 of 74
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member


    D-E-L-U-D-E-D:


     


    You can't spell it without the numbers "8", "4", "5", "0", "3" and "2".

  • Reply 6 of 74
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 845032 View Post


    Android is one of the many evils in this industry.


    If Android wasn't created from stolen IP, there'd be no patent war in smartphone/tablet world.


    Remember, Android was the one that decided to enter the mobile market whilst having a CEO on Apple's Board of Directors that forgot to mention that they were doing so.


    Samsung, Moto, HTC, Android are only counter-suing to try and deter Apple from protecting their IP, hence the reason why they sue second.


     


    Samsung was punished by American court because they stole and got caught.



     


    Fixed that for you.


     


    Hell, I even fixed your rotten punctuation and grammar for free.

  • Reply 7 of 74
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 845032 View Post


    Apple is one and only evil in this industry.


    if apple become vanish, there are no patent war in smart phone/tablet world.


    Remeber, Apple is one who pursue this way.


    Samsung, Moto, HTC, Android are defense move.


     


    Samsung punished by american court, because they are foreign company who challenge america's most biggest company.



    Oh my.  I will have to think this one through.  Lets see.......  Ok I'm done.  Your wrong.  Wow I feel so much better.  It's like a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders.

  • Reply 8 of 74
    Oh, you're back. I'm so thrilled. How'd you take the utter failure of your company? Please don't devolve into slapppy-level "Apple will fail, just watch" comments. 

    Apple is the one that wanted Samsung to license things. Samsung did not. Samsung is the one that chose lawsuits.

    To license round corners with a over-price is like to steal. Rectangular devices with round corners existed before Apple.
    Apple is very scared about how fast is going Samsung.
    Check this video, keep it until iphone5 appear and compare it. If you are very sure about Apple, why dont do it?



    Sorry for my english. It is not my native languaje and I am a bit tired to try to write everything correctly.
  • Reply 9 of 74
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 845032 View Post


    Apple is one and only evil in this industry.


    if apple become vanish, there are no patent war in smart phone/tablet world.


    Remeber, Apple is one who pursue this way.


    Samsung, Moto, HTC, Android are defense move.


     


    Samsung punished by american court, because they are foreign company who challenge america's most biggest company.



    You feel lonely.  Some one please help this poor man before I start to cry.  Oh no its too late or is that to late?  Maybe two late's.  Or is that pronounced lattes'  LOL.  Yes its a sad day indeed to spell wrong and be wrong at the same time.

  • Reply 10 of 74
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,989member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 845032 View Post


    Moto are defense move.



     


    Moto are attack.


     


    Apple are defence move, being after attack of Moto before them.


     


    Moto want ban X-box too.


     


    Attack because they invent H.264 they say.

  • Reply 11 of 74
    citycity Posts: 522member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    "....Apple is the one that wanted Samsung to license things. Samsung did not. Samsung is the one that chose lawsuits."



    Do you really believe Apple "wanted" Samsung to license? That offer might just be lawyering. Apple knew that offering a license would eventually help in court. It established a price for a court to work with. It was a price that Apple knew Samsung, with lower margins, either couldn't or wouldn't likely pay. Samsung couldn't counter either because that would be an admission.    

  • Reply 12 of 74
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,989member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by city View Post


    Do you really believe Apple "wanted" Samsung to license? That offer might just be lawyering. Apple knew that offering a license would eventually help in court. It established a price for a court to work with. It was a price that Apple knew Samsung, with lower margins, either couldn't or wouldn't likely pay. Samsung couldn't counter either because that would be an admission.    



     


    Lawyering backed up by documentary evidence that proved it.


     


    I believe the documents, as did the jury, the judge and going on the lack of objections, Samsung's lawyers.


     


    Fact is Samsung did not want to negotiate, leaving Apple little choice but to litigate.

  • Reply 13 of 74
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,989member


    Shouldn't the title be Japanese Court?


     


    It's like America court vs American court.


     


    Japan court sounds like a court so supreme it takes on the name of the country it's based in.

  • Reply 14 of 74
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


     


    Moto are attack.


     


    Apple are defence move, being after attack of Moto before them.


     


    Moto want ban X-box too.


     


    Attack because they invent H.264 they say.



     


    Moto believe all Apple's bases are belong to Moto.

  • Reply 15 of 74
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member


    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

    Shouldn't the title be Japanese Court?


     


    I changed it in the article, but I don't want to mess with the title for fear of breaking a link to the article page itself (which will remain unedited, as well).

  • Reply 16 of 74
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,118member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 845032 View Post


    Apple is one and only evil in this industry.


    if apple become vanish, there are no patent war in smart phone/tablet world.


    Remeber, Apple is one who pursue this way.


    Samsung, Moto, HTC, Android are defense move.


     


    Samsung punished by american court, because they are foreign company who challenge america's most biggest company.



     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anonimo View Post





    To license round corners with a over-price is like to steal. Rectangular devices with round corners existed before Apple.

    Apple is very scared about how fast is going Samsung.

    Check this video, keep it until iphone5 appear and compare it. If you are very sure about Apple, why dont do it?



    Sorry for my english. It is not my native languaje and I am a bit tired to try to write everything correctly.


     


    Why the **** do the worst trolls have trouble composing legible english? If english isn't your 1st language, why not post on boards with languages that you can actually speak/write?


    Furthermore, why isn't 845..whatever banned already? He has almost 90 posts of incomprehensible, trollish drivel that has not contributed an iota to any intelligent discusion. Where the hell are the mods? Tallest, why don't you do your job and ban the worst of the worst, instead of continually to giddily respond while seemingly enjoying yourself a great deal? 845 should have been banned after his 2nd post, yet you just keep the trolling going. Why not have higher standards on this board?

  • Reply 17 of 74
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,989member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GTR View Post


     


    Moto believe all Apple's bases are belong to Moto.



     


    All Moto base belong Google.


     


    Twelve and a half billion dollars worth.

  • Reply 18 of 74
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,989member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post


     


     


    Why the **** do the worst trolls have trouble composing legible english? If english isn't your 1st language, why not post on boards with languages that you can actually speak/write?


    Furthermore, why isn't 845..whatever banned already? He has almost 90 posts of incomprehensible, trollish drivel that has not contributed an iota to any intelligent discusion. Where the hell are the mods? Tallest, why don't you do your job and ban the worst of the worst, instead of continually to giddily respond while seemingly enjoying yourself a great deal? 845 should have been banned after his 2nd post, yet you just keep the trolling going. Why not have higher standards on this board?



     


    Maybe AI believes in equal opportunity employment, reflected in allowing posts like those, that some poor Joe at a workstation in Korea or China is paid to churn out.


     


    Although Samsung has been farming out work to Vietnam lately, so maybe it's cheaper to hire from there.

  • Reply 19 of 74
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,989member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    I changed it in the article, but I don't want to mess with the title for fear of breaking a link to the article page itself (which will remain unedited, as well).



     


    According to Reuters it's a Tokyo court.

  • Reply 20 of 74
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 845032 View Post


    Apple is one and only evil in this industry.


    if apple become vanish, there are no patent war in smart phone/tablet world.


    Remeber, Apple is one who pursue this way.


    Samsung, Moto, HTC, Android are defense move.


     


    Samsung punished by american court, because they are foreign company who challenge america's most biggest company.



    please tell me then why the Korean court even found that Samsung had infringed on patents if Samsung is so innocent and Apple is so evil?

Sign In or Register to comment.