'It's almost here:' Apple announces 'iPhone 5' event for Sept. 12

Comments

• Reply 201 of 299
    neosumneosum Posts: 113member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

If it is called iPhone 5, then even Apple is wrong. Sorry, but that is simply pandering to the lowest common denominator and ruins the intelligent naming conventions iPhone carried in the past. Apple may name it iPhone 5 to avoid confusing idiots who don't understand the product line or its history, but there is no reason to call the 6th generation, 4th form factor iPhone an iPhone 5.

The name of the iphone does not imply its generation number. Whatever Apple decides to name the next iphone, it's solely their decision to make. Why do people insist on Apple being "wrong" when it's THEIR products and THEIR naming scheme? The iphone 4s was the 5th generation iphone, yet it wasn't named iphone 5. That alone should answer any uncertainty about whether or not the name of the phone is an indication of its generation number. The next iphone will be named whatever Apple chooses to name it, it's their choice. Not yours or mine. Everyone else who thinks the name represents the generation number are the ones who are "wrong."

Most consumers don't care about the product line's history or what name it's called. They just want the new iphone that "just came out."

If the form factor doesn't change, then it could've very well been named iphone 4gs. Whether or not the leaked photos/videos are real will be put to rest next week.

• Reply 202 of 299
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

The example of the iPhone 4 and 4s works for these two reasons:

1. iPhone 4 worked because it was literally the 4th gen iPhone and a new design iteration.

2. iPhone 4s worked because the design didn't change but the internals did.  Much like the 3G and the 3GS.

But as I state above, the number 5 says nothing about it's generation of model or it's design iteration.

if you were to look at just physical design, it would be the iPhone 4, but that doesn't work.

If you look at generation, it would be the iPhone 6.

• Reply 203 of 299

I'm kind of surprised everyone was correct on the date, I was hoping they wouldn't be and apple had more secrecy then that. But I hope this also means that IOS 6 is almost finished, but to my knowledge its not in GM form yet? I'm curious to know if they switched to smaller sim cards or not, as I'm thinking of getting an unlocked one versus at&t. Exciting times now I'm sure all the rumors will be full steam ahead until the 12th.

• Reply 204 of 299

Originally Posted by neosum View Post

The name of the iphone does not imply its generation number.

iPhone 4.

Most consumers don't care about the product line's history or what name it's called. They just want the new iphone that "just came out."

"Introducing the new iPhone". Oh, hey. That's what's newest. Rather than having laymen keep track of numbers.

If the form factor doesn't change, then it could've very well been named iphone 4gs.

Where'd the G come from? The telephony? But S only comes after a new revision name's original, as it's a Speed boost on top of it.

• Reply 205 of 299
    solipsismx wrote: »
    That could be why they titled that with a 5 below the "year".

Exactly what I was thinking.
  • Reply 206 of 299
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Why do people give a shit whether it's called iPhone 5, iPhone 6 or just iPhone. I mean seriously who cares?!?
  • Reply 207 of 299
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Exactly what I was thinking.

I wasn't sure if that is what you were eluding to or not. I certainly didn't consider it until reading your post.
  • Reply 208 of 299

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

iPhone 4.

"Introducing the new iPhone". Oh, hey. That's what's newest. Rather than having laymen keep track of numbers.

Where'd the G come from? The telephony? But S only comes after a new revision name's original, as it's a Speed boost on top of it.

There's no indication from apple that the name iphone 4 represented the 4th generation. That's just speculation. It could simply mean a form factor change, thus time for a new number indicator. Since the previous form factor was named 3, 4 would come next and it could be coincidental that it also happens to the the 4th generation. Every other generation says otherwise.

I just made up the 4GS portion as an example. G for telephony and S for siri coming out of beta. My point is, they can name it whatever they want. Apple has never said that the name implies generation. The 5 generations of iphone names prove it. People are calling them wrong or technically incorrect when to them, it makes sense. They can't be wrong because it's their choice.

Most people with iphones don't know which version they have other than the newest one.

• Reply 209 of 299
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I wasn't sure if that is what you were eluding to or not. I certainly didn't consider it until reading your post.

It's cool. Maybe I shouldve been more clear in that, but I had submitted a few posts before about it being the 5th year as possibly the reason behind the number 5.

I don't get too concerned by the name really. But it's fun to think about their little hints and reasoning to their names and events. ;)
  • Reply 210 of 299

Quote:

I don't recall anyone getting into a tizzy over the jump from iPhone to iPhone 3G.

... because the '3G' clearly referred to the 3G capability, not to a version number. (Which you know, but you're being deliberately obtuse.)

• Reply 211 of 299

There's no indication from apple that the name iphone 4 represented the 4th generation. That's just speculation.

How can you possibly say that it being the 4th iPhone was a coincidence? 4th iPhone, running iOS 4 with an A4 chip. So ignore the first. Now you're saying the 6th iPhone running iOS 6 with an A6 (if Solipsism's right, and I hope he is) chip will be called the iPhone 5?

…the previous form factor was named 3…

No, the previous (and then current) telephony generation was called "3".

G for telephony and S for siri coming out of beta.

That's not what S has ever stood for. Makes less sense than the arguments of ours that people try to denounce.

Most people with iphones don't know which version they have other than the newest one.

So what was wrong with "the new iPhone" with "iPhone" being the name?

• Reply 212 of 299
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

My additional logic was based off of the fact that they never released an iPhone 2, just called it 3GS

I think your mistake is that you are using logic of numbers instead of logic of marketing.

The original iPhone - (introduction)

iPhone  3G - (has 3G naturally)

iPhone 3GS - (looks identical to the 3G just a spec bump)

iPhone 4 - (brand new design nothing trendy to name it after as so just call it 4)

iPhone 4S - (looks exactly like iPhone 4 but with a spec bump)

iPhone 5 - (brand new design but nothing particularly name worthy happening except LTE however that is problematic in Australia and UK so play it safe)

iPhone 5S - ( looks identical with a spec boost)

iPhone 6 - (brand new design etc, etc)

• Reply 213 of 299

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

iPhone 5 - (brand new design but nothing particularly name worthy happening except LTE however that is problematic in Australia and UK so play it safe)

But then LTE's wrong to begin with. Apple hasn't named devices based on branches of telephony, only the telephony itself. LTE's only one type of 4G. Apple didn't call the iPhone 3G "iPhone HSPA". It would've been 4G, but then you hit the old marketing thing where G is "less than" S. And it's hardly a brand new design. 

• Reply 214 of 299

Quote:

But then LTE's wrong to begin with. Apple hasn't named devices based on branches of telephony, only the telephony itself. LTE's only one type of 4G. Apple didn't call the iPhone 3G "iPhone HSPA". It would've been 4G, but then you hit the old marketing thing where G is "less than" S. And it's hardly a brand new design. 

We already know Apple likes the name LTE better than 4G, one, because 4G is also HSPA+ which is nowhere as fast as LTE and, two, they already named the iPad with LTE  so clearly their preference is LTE, and three, to name the next iPhone 4 (anything) is a marketing fopaux since it is a brand new design and there were already two previous models called 4. Even now they are critized for not making any significant design updates. They really had no other choice except iPhone 5 in my opinion.

• Reply 215 of 299

Originally Posted by stone View Post

…to name the next iPhone 4 (anything) is a marketing fopaux since it is a brand new design and there were already two previous models called 4.

I'll turn the argument I've been getting all day back around and say that Apple has no pattern whatsoever, they can call it whatever they want, regardless of how many models were previously called "4", and that it's not a brand new design.

They really had no other choice except iPhone 5 in my opinion.

So the new iPhone is just right out, then. Or the proper number. Just right out.

• Reply 216 of 299

Quote:

How can you possibly say that it being the 4th iPhone was a coincidence? 4th iPhone, running iOS 4 with an A4 chip. So ignore the first. Now you're saying the 6th iPhone running iOS 6 with an A6 (if Solipsism's right, and I hope he is) chip will be called the iPhone 5?

No, the previous (and then current) telephony generation was called "3".

That's not what S has ever stood for. Makes less sense than the arguments of ours that people try to denounce.

So what was wrong with "the new iPhone" with "iPhone" being the name?

Yes, I'm saying the iphone 4 being the 4th generation was coincidental and the next iphone could very well be called iphone 5 or whatever Apple wants to call it.

The two iphones before the iphone 4 was named 3 (for whatever reasons I'm not debating). The 4 came after 3 with a new form factor. 5 could come after 4 with a new form factor. It just makes sense if Apple decided to go that path. If they do, then they do. If they don't, then they don't. It doesn't make them right or wrong when it's their product. It just means they picked a name that works for them.

I never said S stood for siri. If you read the entire post rather than skimming through for keywords, you would see that I said I made up the name and gave my reasons for making up that name as an example. They can call it whatever they want to, I could care less of the name. I'm also not insisting on what the next name will be and calling others wrong for disagreeing with me. All I'm saying is, whatever they call it, they'll have their own reasons. There's nothing wrong with calling it the new iphone or just iphone and I never implied that there was.

• Reply 217 of 299

Quote:

I'll turn the argument I've been getting all day back around and say that Apple has no pattern whatsoever, they can call it whatever they want, regardless of how many models were previously called "4", and that it's not a brand new design.

So the new iPhone is just right out, then. Or the proper number. Just right out.

They were probably looking ahead to the next model which more than likely will look identical to iPhone 5 and what would they name it if they chose the other alternatives?

The New iPhone S

iPhone 4GS

iPhone LTES

None of the above

• Reply 218 of 299
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member

You are all wrong. The 12 with the 5 trailing away clearly means 12-5 = 7 = iPad Mini.

It's all there people, just look!

• Reply 219 of 299

I'm sorry; this is all ridiculous noise. I love the Apple products that I own but you all should be ashamed of the amount of time and energy you've wasting discussing this.

For a sample size of five, there is absolutely no credible pattern. Whatsoever. And to any reasonable consumer or potential customer, there will be no change in incentive or marketing power between calling it the iPhone 5, the iPhone 6, or the new iPhone. Please — there is a lot of nice discussion about the announcement that is probably being completely drowned out because of this silliness.

Step back. Take a breath. Grab a cookie. Move on.

• Reply 220 of 299

Yes, I'm saying the iPhone 4 being the 4th generation was coincidental…

Do you have a rebuttal or some way to discredit what I've said about the iPhone 4 and the forthcoming model of device, thereby discrediting my logic?

The two iphones before the iphone 4 was named 3 (for whatever reasons I'm not debating).

Oh, there's no debate. The first was named after the version of telephony it introduced and the second after the increased speed of said telephony therein.

5 could come after 4 with a new form factor.

Sure. If there had been one step in between. There have been two.

I never said S stood for siri.

You explicitly stated that:

G for telephony and S for siri coming out of beta.

Not as fact, no, but as a potential operator, and my only purpose in calling that out was to inform that "S" had never before been used in any capacity other than "speed".

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

…what would they name it if they chose the other alternatives?

The New iPhone S

Now you're just taking the mickey out. You can't be serious about what you're saying here.