Competing wireless connections?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Someone in my general vicinity has just set up a linksys wireless connection for themselves. I have an Airport connection, and suddenly my network craps out on me every other second and tries to use the other guy's linksys connection instead (the connection is too poor to use anyway). I set my Airport to work on a closed network, password protected. I've tried setting the signal to different strengths (2Mb/sec up to 11 Mb/sec), with different settings for base station density (low to high), with different channels, tried setting it to look for the best signal, tried to look for my specific network, and anything else I could change. I've tried using the Airport Setup Assistant, the Airport Admin Utility, and the Network preferences panel. Most of the time, the Airport base station can't even be found.

My wireless internet connection is useless at this point. (I've tied myself down with ethernet for the time being.) Am I missing something? How do these 802.11 networks play nice? I'm quite frustrated and lost at this point, so if I've missed any info that might help, please let me know.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>Someone in my general vicinity has just set up a linksys wireless connection for themselves. I have an Airport connection, and suddenly my network craps out on me every other second and tries to use the other guy's linksys connection instead (the connection is too poor to use anyway). I set my Airport to work on a closed network, password protected. I've tried setting the signal to different strengths (2Mb/sec up to 11 Mb/sec), with different settings for base station density (low to high), with different channels, tried setting it to look for the best signal, tried to look for my specific network, and anything else I could change. I've tried using the Airport Setup Assistant, the Airport Admin Utility, and the Network preferences panel. Most of the time, the Airport base station can't even be found.

My wireless internet connection is useless at this point. (I've tied myself down with ethernet for the time being.) Am I missing something? How do these 802.11 networks play nice? I'm quite frustrated and lost at this point, so if I've missed any info that might help, please let me know.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ohh man not good...

I hope there is some kind of Fix..

I used to wonder about this if it would happen or not if others in the neighborhood bought wi-fi

Fellowship
  • Reply 2 of 4
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    hey, how did things go?

still on ethernet?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Is this your own network at home? Perhaps you could move the base station closer to where you normally would like to access the net. Alternatively, you might be able to put a directional antenna on the base station. If your base station is located in the corner of the house you don't really need to send out the signal in all directions. Just search google or altavista for 802.11 and antenna and you will find lots of discussion about this.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    not sure where you will find this for mac but for my peecee laptop and my intel base station the following settings have to match.

In Hardware settings for the card (driver properties)in the laptop:-

1. Channel (Defaults to 6 on intel cards).

2. Network name (Defaults to 101).

I can also see a list of networks (only 1) and also I can choose a prefered network.

Similar settings are also available for the access point / router via its web interface.

You and you neighbour perhaps need to get together and find the conflicting settings and agree to use different ones. As mentioned I think the Channel and Network name are the main ones you need to worry about.

[ 12-19-2002: Message edited by: Gargoyle ]</p>