Nokia unveils Lumia 920 with 4.5" display, PureView camera

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Nokia on Wednesday announced its new flagship smartphone, the Lumia 920, with a 4.5-inch display, 1.5-gigahertz dual-core processor, and Microsoft's latest Windows Phone 8 mobile operating system.

The new Lumia 920 features a design similar to the previous Lumia 900 launched last year. But inside it has been upgraded with a 2,000mAh battery, near-field communications chip, integrated wireless charging, and an 8-megapixel camera that can shoot 1080p high-definition video.

The Finnish handset maker claims the Lumia 920 captures the highest quality video and images on a smartphone. Nokia's "PureView" technology is reportedly able to take in five times more light than competing smartphones without using flash.

Nokia has also boasted that its new Lumia 920 features what has been branded as "Super Sensitive Touch." The new curved glass touchscreen will allow use of the device while wearing gloves.

Also announced on Wednesday is the Lumia 820, a smaller 4.3-inch, lower-end device that has the same unibody look and feel as the larger Lumia 920. The handset has exchangeable shells that allow users to change colors or add wireless charging, and also allows users to input microSD cards.

Nokia
Nokia's new Lumia 920 (left) and Lumia 820 (right).

Nokia did not announce pricing or availability of its new Lumia series on Wednesday. However, the company said that its phones will be available in select markets in time for the holiday shopping season. Both phones will be available in 4G LTE and HSPA+ variants.

The unveiling of Nokia's new flagship handsets comes just a week before Apple is set to hold a media event where it is widely expected the company will introduce its next-generation iPhone with a larger 4-inch display. This week, Apple sent out invitations to the press declaring "It's almost here," with the Sept. 12 date casting a shadow in the shape of the number 5, hinting at the so-called "iPhone 5."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 253

Looks like a great phone. Also a unique product by Nokia and Microsoft. Samsung and HTC take note, it is possible to produce a great phone without copying Apple.

• Reply 2 of 253

Still look too close to their old Lumia. And what woul they do for customers who bought 600, 800 and 900 who are now cut loose? Buyers ran away as soon as they heard that their old Lumia won't have software upgrade and non-English keyboards.

• Reply 3 of 253
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Looks like a great phone. Also a unique product by Nokia and Microsoft. Samsung and HTC take note, it is possible to produce a great phone without copying Apple.

Agree - looks like a very nice device. Not sure about wireless charging - it is very convenient but supposedly very inefficient. What I'd  like is a stand or cradle with a magnetized connector. It would be great if the 9 pin connector in the new iphone could also be used with a charging base that didn't require 'penetration' in order to charge.

• Reply 3 of 253

It looks fairly snappy, I'll give it that. Display looks nice, too.  Personally, though, I find the phone exterior ugly and I don't care for Windows on a phone.  Or on a PC.

Having said that, I'd buy this over Android any day.

• Reply 5 of 253

Why is every Apple website reporting on this thing? Why do we care?

• Reply 6 of 253

What happened to these colors?

• Reply 7 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can't ignore the competition.

• Reply 8 of 253

Quote:

Many readers, including myself, care about the competitive field.  I'd feel ignorant if I didn't get a halfway decent look at the new Nokia product.

• Reply 9 of 253

@Tallest Skil Are you so blinkered that you would not even consider something non-apple even if it was better.  How old are you?

• Reply 10 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

What happened to these colors?

Candy-colored worked like a charm for N8 (lemon, blue, orange, red, pink, silver). Why not have another go if it worked? Lumia is meant to be the heir to N series anyway.

• Reply 11 of 253

They keep releasing products no one is buying. 

• Reply 12 of 253

Consumers want to know WHEN the new products will be available and HOW MUCH they will cost. Nokia, you screwed up again. Prepare to go under. Your stock is down 10%. LOL

• Reply 13 of 253

Has a mention of battery life come up?

• Reply 14 of 253

Quote:

It currently seems like the most compelling non-iPhone option (read: threat). Other than the GSIII, that is.

• Reply 15 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by qualar View Post

@Tallest Skil Are you so blinkered that you would not even consider something non-apple even if it was better.  How old are you?

14 yrs old at best..all his comments are childish and Apple can do no wrong. 

• Reply 16 of 253
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Impressive. Would love to compare photo from this phone with iPhone 5. But why no price and release date?
  • Reply 17 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

They keep releasing products no one is buying. 

like macbooks and imacs no one is buying those...look at market share lol

• Reply 18 of 253

This is probably an unpopular thought here but I like  what nokia presented here. Unless the the iphone 5 is different then what the mockups show  a windows phone 8 phone might be my next. I currently have an iphone 4s that I have had nothing but problerms with. Its already been repaired under warranty (bad power button) and now has the front camera fritzing out .

I just feel that apple hasnt been changing ios enough.

I do hope apple has done a better job of keeping the next iphone 5 a secret and that the current mockups are not even close. I am not of a big fan of the same width but longer screen.

• Reply 19 of 253

This was a REALLY BOLD and COMPETITIVE move for Nokia a week before the announcement of the iPhone 5.

Because when people rethink their contracts, they'll have these features to mull over...

1. 8-megapixel camera that can shoot 1080p high-definition video - WITH IMAGE STABILIZATION

2. "PureView" technology allows shooting imagery without using flash.

3. "Super Sensitive Touch." - allow use of the device while wearing gloves.

4. Inductive charging

5. Mapping with Augmented reality - point the phone down a street and it SHOWS YOU the names of places, shops, bus stops, etc.

6. Even LOW-end phones get  exchangeable shells that allow users to change colors or add wireless charging, and also allows users to input microSD cards.

I'd call that stuff pretty innovative.

And why have this here on AppleInsider?

Because IF all Apple gives us is a 4" screen, LTE, and 3D mapping - this might very well END Apple's dominance of phones.

I'm not trying to down Apple, but after a while, what are we really getting for $199+ in the iPhone that is THAT different from the 2007 iPhone?

• Reply 20 of 253

Originally Posted by qualar View Post

Are you so blinkered that you would not even consider something non-apple even if it was better.

Is the implication that you think this is better than Apple's offerings? Can you really say that until the 12th? Of course I look around at other things.

It's an Apple website. I just don't see much reason to report on the others unless there's some direct relation or comparison to Apple's offerings. And at the very least, it doesn't belong in the iPhone subforum, but many generic news postings in the phone industry wind up here, so that's just a difference of opinion. 

Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

This was a REALLY BOLD and COMPETITIVE move for Nokia a week before the announcement of the iPhone 5.

I'd call that stuff pretty innovative.

And why have this here on AppleInsider?

Because IF all Apple gives us is a 4" screen, LTE, and 3D mapping - this might very well END Apple's dominance of phones.

Blah, blah, FUD, blah blah, gloom and doom… THIS is why I don't like seeing competitor crap here. Pulls the trolls even further out of the woodwork.